Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux window in bedroom not fire complaint.

Options
  • 18-09-2022 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a house. Got an engineer in to look at the house and noted that the velux window in the master bedroom is not meeting fire regulations because of the height off the floor not being max 1100mm and it is not top hung type of window. The top hang issue can be resolved by simply replacing the window. However to resolve the issue with the distance off floor will be difficult as the whole window needs to be moved much lower and it will require planning permissions and interference with the roof structure. The house was built in 2003 and I think this regulation came in place in 2006. My questions would be: Would I be legally obligated to fix this issue? Will I have any issues with house insurance? Could that cause any potential issues for me in the future if I want to sell the house?

Thanks,

Kate

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Regulations were in place in 2003 (and prior to it).

Is there an EnSuite to the Bedroom and is there a window in that?

What type of house is it? 2 storey or 3 storey?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If the engineer says the velux was installed pre the introduction of the regulation you are ok. Ultimately he will decide. That is what you are paying for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Build a platform near the window to reduce the height to below 1100mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katiana888

It is 2 storey house and there is ensuite bathroom and the window in ensuite is fire compliant. The engineer said the one in the bedroom is not compliant as from his understanding it has to be in the same room. I talked to builder today he said we should be fine and don't worry about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A Builder is not signing his name and PI to a cert. Listen to the Engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,046 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The regulation did not com in in 2003. It was in 1997, although prior to that there were BS standard in place that may have required similar.

There is no two ways about it, the existing doesn't comply. Changing it is not a big job, and probably does require modifying the roof structure any more than currently modified elements (assuming the roof line is at the required height is in the room).

You are not obligated to upgrade the house if you buy it. But the banks and or insurance might have an issue, as they should.

Advertisement