Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short engagements/weddings

Options
  • 18-09-2022 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

A friend of a friend got engaged after 6 months of dating and 6 months later they got married. Obviously each to their own, I personally couldn't say yes after such a short space of time, could you or do you know anyone in real life that did?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What age are we talking?

I’ve found that, generally, once people hit their 30’s they “go out” for 2 years, get engaged, and married, in 2 years. Kids are optional.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

They're in their late 20s, ah yeah 4 years is different to 1 year though

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Not a hope, you don't know enough about each other after 6 months, not saying it won't work but why risk it, myself and the wife were together 12 years before we got hitched

Agreed! 6 months in and you're probably still in the honeymoon period before the real you starts to come through

Yeah, I mean, it can work but I wouldn’t be holding out for it lasting. Especially as they are marrying before they’re 30.

At least they aren’t doing it like Americans, in their early 20’s.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

Era, you only live once.

Sure they’re getting on with it, good for them.

Can always have another go in a few decades. Second or third marriages aren’t too rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

At 1 year you're only half way through the initial honeymoon phase of lust and infatuation, you won't even have discovered half of the things that annoy you about the other person.

Still, there's always divorce.

Myself and my husband were married within a relatively short time of meeting. There are a number of decisions which have shaped my life for the better and marrying him is the best one. People are different OP but life experience counts for a lot when making the leap. Something else which goes a long way is knowing yourself inside out because then trusting yourself becomes easy.

Cool story, bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

We got engaged after 8 months, married 14 months later aged 22, on the 10th Oct we will be married 35 years,

I guess we were one of the lucky ones then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

HER STORY Beth Kerridge, 43, sculptor and co-owner of the Hand & Flowers

I realised Tom was the one about three days after we met. And then it took me six weeks to ask him to marry me. When you find the one that's it, isn't it? I was in awe of him – he's a hugely dynamic guy. I went and bought a ring with my sister, and then met Tom after work, late on a Saturday night. He said yes before I finished my sentence. We sat in Leicester Square with a bottle of champagne. It must've been about two o'clock in the morning because the guy that was sweeping the road came over and said: "I don't know what you're celebrating, but congratulations anyway."

Still married

Ah, different time.

Sure what else was there to do back in the 80’s. And, then, you couldn’t be alone together for fear the parish priest might see you and tell the mother.

Marrying that young, in the modern world, isn't, in my opinion, a good idea.

The tide is turning…

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My cousin got engaged to her husband after 6 months and they were married less than 6 months later. They were early 20s at the time and now have 3 kids (2 in their early 20s and one late teens) and will be celebrating their 25th anniversary this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I have to say I don't understand it personally. Like, if you look at what a marriage actually is, it's basically a list of legal rights and obligations, almost all financial, most of which don't come into play unless you get divorced. The romantic vows you make at the altar aren't enforceable in a court of law. So you either decide to be a good and responsible partner or you don't, but at the end of the day, being married or not has no bearing on that decision. As long as you go into it with that knowledge, have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Come on. At that stage you obviously know you are attracted to each other but you're roiding like the clappers!

Wait until that slows down and see.

Married my first husband after dating for 2 years, followed by a 12 month engagement and a typical Irish wedding. He left me with 2 small children 5 years later.

Married current husband within a year of meeting, despite warnings from my siblings (They adored No 1, having grown up with him and his family).

I say each to their own. We’re all different. I never was sure of No1, but it was the done thing in the 70’s. I never doubted my feelings for No2 from the first time he put his arms around me, I felt that I’d finally come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It does seem very short alright especially if they didn’t know each other as friends or anything before dating. Most of us a definitely figuring ourselves out in our 20’s. For some couples it does work out though so each to their own.

This is irrelevant but it just popped in to my head. Years ago during a lecture for a course I was doing one of the other women was speaking about her recent marriage. We were full of congratulations etc and she made this comment; 'I highly recommend it everyone should do it'. Laughter then while I was inwardly rolling my eyes and thinking 'what a smug condescending so and so'.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A friend of my missus got engaged after 3 months. I met the groom once or twice before the wedding and there was something off about him that his intended bride couldn't see...or didn't want to see. Her friends and family asked her to reconsider marrying him but she wouldn't. Anyway, the marriage didn't end well. He left her less than 3 years later after having 2 kids with her and doesn't have anything to do with them now. I was invited to the wedding but didn't go because I didn't want to waste me annual leave on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Yeah I think it can be potentially dangerous when a person is desperate for a relationship/marriage, they can easily be taken advantage of, just like some perhaps vulnerable OAP's getting proposed to by 18 year old Pedro

Pedro eh. Do you have his number? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Met the wife in August ,married the next January , been together through thick and thin and still going strong 36 years later , and I have her permission to say that 😘

Shite happens, but be a father like.

This sort of stuff gets my gander up.

I'm getting married next year, mid 40s, and we're still confused why we are! I can be impetus on occasions, especially younger, but not that much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The weirdos have to rush to seal the deal and get things locked in before the other person finds out they are a weirdo.

Where it gets fun is when both are employing the same strategy and only realise it later

Advertisement