Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking. Loading bay

• 18-09-2022 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭

Just parked in a loading bay (private car etc) It’s outside of its hours.

is this free? Or do I need to pay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

If it is a private carpark, their rules. On street parking is within the hours specified on the street signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭obi604

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

You're free to park there.

Just parked in a loading bay (private car etc) it’s on street parking.

is it free on a bank holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭markpb

Loading bays are generally free outside of the displayed hours but IIRC it’s possible to be a paid parking space at one time and a loading bay at others. You need to check the signs.

Some councils offer free parking in paid parking spaces on bank holidays but not all bank holidays. They usually post the information online and the parking meter should also tell you (somehow).

Post edited by markpb on

yeah, but loading bays have Monday specified, but not sure if any special rules around bank holidays which are usually on a Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If it's free on a Sunday, it will be free on a bank holiday.

Parked in a ‘loading bay’ in Galway today at about 4:30pm.

sign Is shown as attached.

came out to the car and had a parking ticket.

can I dispute this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ofcork

I would sign says 6 to 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No, it's a clearway sign that allows parking for loading at the times indicated. Only commercially taxed vehicles can park there between 6-11 for 30 minutes

Yeah. Really annoyed. I specifically parked in the loading bay. and arrive out to ticket.

it seems disputing is a pain. I parked exactly where the car is in the attached (this is not my car, noticed parking ticket about 20 mins after leaving and drove back to check)

Now when I went back I noticed another sign right beside the car, The loading bay one is a few yards up the road.

not sure what this sign means

Del is right id say its a clearway only commercial allowed between the times shown.

Thank you all for the replies.

just so I have it clear in my head

in regard to attached signs, the loading bay one, does it mean;

that commercial vehicles can park in the loading bay for 30 mins and can only do so between the hours of 6am-11am Monday to Saturday.

Then the ‘clear way’ sign above loading bay means, any time outside of Monday - Saturday from 6am-11am, no one should be parked here at all.

Is this right?

not sure why pics are coming out areaways , they have the correct orientation on my phone and not sure how to rotate.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It says clearway above meaning no parking at all. It can be used as a loading bay during those times only for a maximum of 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The red x sign means clearway (no parking). As above, the exception is that it can be used as a commercial loading bay Monday to Saturday from 6am to 11am only with a maximum stay of 30 mins for loading.

I don't see what grounds you would have to appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Many people get caught out with signs not knowing Commercial tax only and private car will get hit.

Some loading bays can be also taxi rank at certain times and makes it more complicated.

Thanks all. So now that I understand, I have no grounds to appeal.

hands up, I dived in……….I seen the loading bay sign and said happy days. I kind of didn’t even notice the other sign. It’s Been a long time since I did my driving test and was no theory exam back then.

I need to brush up on these signs.

Post edited by obi604 on

The below signage is a few yards up from the loading bay and clear way sign.

Kinda confusing for me with the 3 different signs. It has a clear way pointing left and right and then underneath it has defined times. Can one park to the left (in loading Bay Area) outside of these defined times or is it just a clearway

zoomed in

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭ratracer

If only there was a book that explained all these signs to drivers…..🤔🤔 maybe it could be a bestseller!

No all clearway id say dont park there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,742 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Loading bays are for loading and unloading. Were you loading or unloading?

Not relevant for this discussion as the loading bay is only in effect during specific times. OP clearly says it was outside of those times, so the confusion is about what the loading bay "turns to" outside of those hours, iE when the OP was parked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The top sign is the important one stating that it is a clear way in both directions with the loading bay sign providing relief from that within the stated hours. Clear way means no stopping, not just no parking.

thanks all for the replies and education, just going to pay this fine now, I have learnt my lesson

another q, see attached picture and highlighted area and then the parking signs.

Is there any time I can park here with a standard private car

Zoomed in on parking signs:

Post edited by obi604 on

Anytime on a Sunday and between 7:30pm and 6am during the week. That’s exactly the sort of sign we need for every single yellow line. Too often they are not accompanied by any signage so confusion prevails.

but does the top clearway sign not overrule all this.

• Advertisement

The timeplate on the clearest pole indicates when it is a clear way. Can you see the third sign further along, also a clear way sign with a 24hour designation further separating the zones.

Lots of people do seem to forgotten that little requirement for use of loading bays though. They’re often used for all day parking for construction vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

Yes, I love making up scenarios that I see happening regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

I can see you now.

Going around on your bike with a notepad checking all the loading bays for builders vans🤣🐍

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Maybe a theory test should be mandatory for everyone who wishes to renew their drivers license. Regardless of whether a theory test was taken or not when they originally got it.

Years ago, on a car show in the Netherlands, the Dutch authority for driver's licenses had a stand and they took mock theory tests. Of my "class" of about twenty people, only two would have passed. Now there were also a few children in there, but for the majority of the people over 18 at such an event you'd expect them to have a driver's license.

Although even the amount of younger people I see here with no lights or with fog lights in the rain (was a bit wet yesterday on the M50) doesn't bode well for the effectiveness of theory tests.

• Advertisement

Used to see it all the time in Ranelagh with crews, mostly NI vans, working on the Devlin Hotel - same Skodas, Passats and vans parked in the loading bay morning and evening. It's not hard to spot.

What top clearway sign? The one from the early post? Is that in the same area?

In fairness you, you are not making anything up and I suspect it must be very frustrating for actual delivery drivers. Some people believe that any commercial vehicle can just be left there when it is expressly to be used only while actively loading or unloading. In this case, it is one tradesperson impeding the job of another.

Advertisement