Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Boiler

Options
  • 15-09-2022 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

We bought a house that has a back boiler, don't think it has been serviced in years and does not look in great condition. We are trying to decide what to do, fix the back boiler and install a stove, just go for a stove on its own and shut off the back boiler or just fix up the existing open fire.

I have heard back boilers are almost obsolete. Is this the case? We would not have a fire/ stove on that much, mostly evenings and weekends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You don't say if it's a solid fuel back boiler or a gas one. You mentioned servicing so I'm assuming it's gas.

I have a 40 year old gas run Baxi back boiler. They are bullet proof. Average life span of an efficient condensing boiler is only 10 years.

If you have a gas run back boiler and it's still running I'd suggest leaving it in place. Despite a gas back boiler being 60 or 70 percent efficient & gas condensing boiler perhaps 95 percent, you will never save enough on the gas bill to pay for the efficient boiler.

In short, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

On the other hand if you want to save the planet & don't Mind paying more in the long run then rip it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Hi, no it's not gas. It would be run off the stove or existing open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭slystallone

I moved into a house lately and it has a back boiler and oil fired heating. There is an electric switch in the hot press and I was told turn it on when I light the fire and turn it off when I am using the oil. Anyone know the rationale behind this?

Is it a big job to fit a non return valve onto a pipe going into my back boiler from the hot press? Currently my setup is plumbed wrong so that when I have the oil heating on the water is going back into the back boiler meaning some of the radiators are only luke warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭zg3409

Its probably to run a pump so all the radiators around the house get hot from fireplace

• Advertisement

Its not exactly a non return valve. A plumber would need to diagnose issue and correct problem. It's impossible to get a plumber these days and they all want big money.

Do you also have central heating, oil or gas?

You should definitely do something with open fire. At least block the chimney to reduce drafts.

Personally I installed a stove and while I only out it 20 nights a year I found it great. I used waste wood, It's only small but it is very high efficiency and uses very little fuel for movie nights etc. It reduces drafts and looks good.

If you are getting a stove then get one with a back boiler. To heat whole house you would need lots of coal and have fire on all day, but it's good to have the option when you run out of oil or gas.

Lighting a stove is a hobby, but it's quick if you have it ready to go.

Main problem is cost, but also stoves are in massive demand due to gas scares from Russia. To do it properly you need to repipe chimney with insulated lining for stove to work properly.

In terms of bang for buck insulating your home is number 1 followed by efficient space heating.

Why does it need a pump but the oil heating doesnt?

This pump only works for when the fire is lit? Would it work to distribute hot water if oil heating was on?

What was boiler attached to when you moved in? A stove?

• Advertisement
Advertisement