Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the reasonable cost or price.

Options
  • 15-09-2022 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭

Here goes anyway.

What is a reasonable price for a property in Dublin, for a single person? for a couple? I know long-term secure rental is the thing but leaving that aside for the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

How long is a piece of string?

There's so many variables that it's hard to give a guide.

Check Daft.ie. It's a sellers market so they will dictate the price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its the market that will dictate what you pay. Not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is more in response to the narrative that people are emigrating because of housing. I am not for a moment saying there isn't a housing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I bought a house in 2011 in the crash on my own when in my late 20s and I wasn't on huge money so it was still a stretch.

Fast forward 11 years there's 2 of us paying it and combined income is many multiples of mine when I bought it, the mortgage repayments plus cost of furnishing and making it homely were a strain on my salary. I now no longer run my own car i have a company car.....but still happy with same house even though could easily afford to upgrade.

So there's no reasonable amount, it's what you deem reasonable yourself and what you can afford. I deemed it reasonable and worth it then, and have a completely different income in the household now and still deem it reasonable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think the like of Sinn Fein and PBP will try and paint that narrative. In my opinion young people have always went away for extended working holidays etc. I think most of them return home. Its ironic because these same parties fully endorse handing houses to those who decide not to work over the people who provide the funds for said houses.

Supply of affordable housing is the only solution going forward but the sector is driven by massive profit.

Its also my opinion that there are a lot houses 40mins from Dublin which are perfectly affordable. Perhaps some of our lazy cohort who decide not to work but want everything could be housed elsewhere than dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

long term renting is not the thing as we can see

some fixed multiple of your earnings versus cost of building the house in the first place and depreciation based on the age of the house

Advertisement