Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Government giving free Contraception when sex is on the decline?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maybe women would like to be in control of their own fertility? no reason why the man can't wear a condom as well and they probably should.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hormonal contraception is more reliable than condoms at preventing pregnancy. So this will encourage more young women to visit their GP and sort out a reliable form of contraception. Hormonal contraception is also prescribed to treat very painful or very heavy periods and to regulate irregular menstrual cycles, not just for contraception purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd say it's keeping in line with full time education, degree, masters, post grad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

my experience with contraception growing up. Teenagers having sex were not legally able to buy condoms then entering college you could get them as they were legal and actually been given out free in college. Girlfriend at the time went to the college doctor to get the pill. The nurse tried to talk her out of getting the pill because I only wanted to use her for sex.

Next girlfriend was French and her dad brought her at 15 to get the pill when she asked to go on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Why on earth are condoms not being provided to men if women are getting free contraception?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What about those older than 25? Did the government consult with Leonardo about this?

Your 'gag' is relying on an outdated perception of the movie star in question

27? Be surprised if she even needed contraception tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

To be fair the nurse had her best interests at heart and in a large portion of relationships that is all it is some fella feigning interest in order to have a chance to at a regular bulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Because men won't be dependable in using them. And anyway, it is the woman who is at risk of getting pregnant, she has more to loose so it is going to make more sense to protect her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Presumably because we have an age of consent of 17 and providing those younger than that with contraception could be construed as encouraging children to break the law.

Not saying I agree with it, but government agencies must be seen to be upholding the law of that government.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Probably depends on the goal. Seems like it's to prevent pregnancy. Ultimately that's a consequence on the female.

I'd say condoms should be included too though. Taking the pill won't do much to prevent STDs. I'd say at the moment it's a cost thing. It's step one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It all has to do with culture.

Does anyone notice how the moral panic about teen pregnancies and actual teen pregnancies decline once women had other options such as careers, jobs, and education?

Maybe the hedonistic free for all sexual revolution was a blip in human society and now we are reverting a bit. There is no such thing as uncomplicated sex.

The internet, you people go out less often and drink less although they are taking more drugs, while alcohol lowers inhibition I'm not sure what drugs do for inhibition.

More information and less inhibitions about sex and sexuality mean young people, in general, have more sense and therefore sex isn't the big deal it once was.

There are a million and one reasons but mostly it's cultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sounds like a women's health initiative at work and €25m is a cheap price for it. It's a common enough arrangement worldwide, either free or partially subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's called progress.

When I was a child, my parents had to get a prescription for condoms as they didn't want more children, so they told me years later. They weren't particularly religious or bothered about other people, but all the same they filled the prescription near my Dad's work as they didn't trust the local Pharmacist not to be gossiping, something for which he was known. That was the early 80s.

In 1991 when I was 14, I very clearly remember the legal conflict, when the Irish Family Planning Association set up a stand for selling condoms within the new Virgin Megastore in Dublin City Centre and sold condoms in defiance of the law. It was quite exciting to be in there on a Saturday with my mates and watching these stand-offs with the Guards. As a result of the IFPA highlighting the ridiculousness of the law, the law was changed.

By 1993 when I became sexually active, I was able to buy condoms in the local petrol station shop from my mate who worked there.

I remember girlfriends and partners being delighted to be able to get the pill from Women's health clinics and Liberal GPs, although it cost us a bit at the time.

Its worth noting that this new initiative only offers free oral medical and internal long release contraceptives for women of 17-25,nothing is available to men, but then again free condoms are widely available in Colleges and from many health promotion organisations. My concern would be those not connected to these options missing out.

However, this is a very good step and I'm pleased to hear Stephen Donnelly say that health providers will have discretion to provide these to under 17 and over 25s, where they see the need.

Yes, it seems to be the case that sex among younger people is declining and maybe the more insular online World has something to do with that, but thats no reason not to offer free and readily accessible contraceptives and sexual health support to young people who want to explore their sexuality and have a full and active sex life. More power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

absolute state of some hospital waiting lists in this country and 25 million being spent on condoms..

last year there was a period were 235 children were on significant paediatric cardiology waiting lists…

that 25 million getting in more surgeons, doctors, anaesthesiologists, beds etc ? and cutting waiting lists….. no…buy 25 million worth of condoms. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a lot more than condoms, it's the whole range of contraception as I understand it, including IUDs. This money will be spent. In terms of overall health spend it is buttons and this is not taking money from other things. Bear in mind that every 1% increase in public pay costs €250m. €25m only gets you about 100 consultants on public contracts IF you can find them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The annual cost of unintended pregnancies in the US is 5.5billion.

Wonder what the cost is here considering our social assistance seems to be more (per capita) than the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's not being spent on condoms.

It is being spent on female contraceptives.

Many women would be taking these for health reasons....regulate their cycle, in an attempt to lessen "the flow" , pain management etc.

There are many women taking contraceptives that are not in a sexual relationship or are in a same sex relationship.

So to say it's being spent in condoms .....which I don't think a single cent is being spent on here....is minimizing the issue.

Now if they could take the luxury tax off tampons that be great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

While I don't disagree with your opinion it would make a lot of sense to offer free condoms as well not only to reduce STDs but to protect those who don't avail of or are not entitled to avail of the free contraception.

Many children younger than 17 are engaging in sexual relationships and it is typical Irish head in the sand stuff not to recognise this . Of course numbers of those presenting with crisis pregnancies are higher in the 17 to 25 age group , but it doesn't mean that all sexually active girls and women should not be included in this .

Another thing that struck me when I heard about this is that period poverty is not addressed yet either . The cost of sanitary pads and tampons is outside the reach of a lot of young women especially now with the price of so many other necessities going up .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Where do you draw the line though? Nappy poverty? Moisturiser poverty? Toothpaste poverty? Toilet roll poverty?

Yes, I completely get that tampons and STs are expensive to buy, but there are a whole host of products that people need for a certain period (no pun intended) of their lives and its about ensuring that there is a basic guaranteed income for those that need it to make their own discretionary choices according to their needs at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Very much agree with your post .

While it is good that they have brought this in , it is not enough , as my post above outlines.

But it's not good that they will have discretionary access for these under or over the guided aged group .

I remember searching for a sympathetic GP in a different county back in the day , to access the pill aged 18 when I was considered old enough to vote , live and work away from home , but not to have sex . Humiliating .

And now this means that those under the age will have to go cap in hand to get themselves protection , and risk refusal .

They won't do that , and will just continue unprotected .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Wow! The nurse had absolutely no right to make a comment. She had no idea why my girlfriend decided to go on the pill.

It is progress but decades behind other European countries and still behind

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

It hasn't been chosen arbitrarily. It's being made available on a staggered basis starting with 17 -25 year olds but will be made available to other age groups in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am glad the government is encouraging people to have more sex. One of the few good things they're going

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You are a homeless woman....you have sex ...you figure it out.

The population is not in decline we have had unprecedented population growth ...its not been this big since famine times.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119629339/#Comment_119629339

I think that is due to immigration of people from outside this Country while Ireland's native population has gone into steep decline.

Post edited by Commoner on

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wezz

This is a good thing. Can’t see the issue unless your some puritan who doesn’t believe in young people having sex. As to why it hasn’t been extended to condoms, you can buy condoms in supermarkets now. You can get them for free in any gay bar or family planning clinic so they are accessible already. You can’t do that with the pill or IUD. I would have thought that was obvious to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You realise population statistics are freely available on the CSO website. Irish nationals grew by nearly 5% from 2016 to 2022.

• Advertisement

Probably why it's on the decline....not wrong...but more people are aware...

Advertisement