Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Lounges - Worth it?

Options
  • 14-09-2022 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Flew recently from T1 and found the food options to be bad (we ended up eating in Burger King).

A friend suggested using the lounge in future.

He said that he found the food to be okay and they were not limited to 2 drinks and were allowed to arrive early

Seems like it might be worth forking out the 25 euro each as you would nearly spend that on food and a couple of pints in the Marquette.

You also get somewhere more comfortable to sit and wait for your flight

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lounge food is light verging on snacks. I wouldn't be relying on it to sustain you. I'm a lounge fan for getting out of the mayhem but would always eat before getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I am a frequent traveler and have access to lounges (Aer Lingus) but I have used the Dublin Airport lounge and find it ok - you may find the food options somewhat limited though its ok for drink and a quiet spot to relax (especially with the chaos in the airport right now).

Check their T&Cs but I think you can only arrive 3 hours before your flight.

When I travelled to UK recently, non Aer Lingus with a friend I suggested booking the lounge for the same logic as you but, he preferred to go to the bar as it had an atmosphere - have to agree, you'll get alcohol in the lounge but, it's like drinking in a library!

So, on balance for me - lounge every time but make sure you get through security in good time to get value for money (if you pre-book) or if you like it a bit more lively, go to one of the bars and spend the money there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

depends on what your expectations are - I like the lounges because they're quiet - I don't go for the food/booze. Depending on the time you're there, you might get breakfast or brunch. It won't fill you up but it'll feed you .

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Flying to US (51st and Green lounge) is worth it , other lounges very poor food offering and very limited drinks , only worth money if you really value some peace and quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I use them the whole time , wouldn’t pay for them if I had to.

food is soup and sandwiches.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I like the T1 lounge. The food is ok but nothing too substantial (soup, sandwiches etc.). I like the lounge more for the relative peace and quiet compared to the rest of the airport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We thought it was very poor- no sausages or bacon in a hot breakfast. Joke

The T1 isn't bad but nothing special really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What’s the latest on the lounges ? What annoys me in Dublin Airport now is there is feck all in terms of hard info as to what the food / snack options are. It’s bizarre as any business I know actually want to show you their product and services…. Advocate why you should part with your cash…. But photos are just distance pics of people sitting at tables, could be eating a dvd case for all you can see.

from the DAA website regarding the T1 lounge…

“Tranquil setting, comfortable, air-conditioned Lounges.

Complimentary drinks (2 per person), snacks, digital newspapers and digital magazines via press reader app.

A dedicated Business Centre providing computer access and free Wi-Fi access.”

is the complimentary drinks limit including non alcoholic ? The wording makes me think so, they are limiting you to two cans of Sprite or coke etc… over a two hour visit ?

probably not rigidly enforced but to be nickel and dimeing people paying 25 euros…

can of coke cost them about 50 cent tops…

all their reading material is now downloadable via the press reader, so if you have a couple of snacks, muffin, three drinks… probably a 4 -5 euro ‘cost’ so a healthy profit being made.

Copenhagen Lounge was the best.. hot dogs, burgers, sausages, potato cakes… drinks on tap…

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

No the 2 drink limit only applies to alcoholic ones and at that, I’m not sure if they even enforce it.

From my experience of the lounges at Dublin airport, they are not really worth it for morning visits as you don’t even get sandwiches at that time. All you get are basic cereals, fruit, bread and some pastries. There is no hot food option.

For a €30 fee, the East Lounge makes it sound like you can get cocktails included but their premium drink selection only includes spirits. Their extra food option over the Terminal 1 lounge is basically just hummus, but the surroundings are much more pleasant.

I think they have better selections from midday onwards with more snacks and sandwiches to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

Two different lounges, Air Rianta (?) and Aer Lingus. I find food at airport generally poor for gluten free options. Yesterday in Aer Lingus T2 there was soup and selection of wraps, cheese /crackers/biscuits/fruit, small cakes and two cold salad options = all self service. I had a chickpea based salad and it was lovely and there was gluten free muffins available as well. There was no restriction on drinks so minerals/beer/wine and spirits. A coffee machine of course and DIY but not Butlers grade. Water was by dispenser, sparkling or plain and no bottles available. No newspapers or magazines = I suppose a victim of covid. Plenty of seating and decent loos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BenParr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

To they have sausages and bacon in the US departure lounge? Joke that they took them out during COVID and up until til a few months ago never had them avaliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

slight tangent, from looking at recent photos was the T1 lounge rejigged with more tables and more pairs of seats rather than clusters of 3 to 6 seats sharing an absolutely miniscule coffee table?

I often travel on my own but the lounge in T1 as it was a few years back was setup for stag groups heading off abroad or something, and people having pints and not needing anywhere to put a plate , rather than folks looking to escape the bussle of the public areas of the airport (and have somewhere to put a plate!)

Just noticed the T1 lounge has increased in price to €30 and The East Lounge to €35!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

I was in the Dublin lounge once and the guy (adult, looked like a business traveler) beside me was playing videos on his phone, with no headphones. Very annoying, and when I asked him if he had headphones, the response was "no, it's too bad".

So it's not always peace and quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

With the price increase I don't think it's worth it any more. Maybe in the height of summer when it's pandemonium in the main areas but otherwise I won't be spending money on lounge access any more.

Not unless it's included in the fare or you get it free with status..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I spend a good bit of time in lounges over the years. Dublin T1 and T2 lounges are absolute pants, a disgrace. They're included in my ticket so I use them, they're almost depressing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Great thread, it's ended any notions I had about using the T1 lounge on my next trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭lc180

I've got a Saturday morning Ryanair flight next month. Really just looking to book a lounge so I can use a shower before flying out.

Looks like the Eastern lounge is my only option for that? It's seems to be on general sale on DAA website so there's no restrictions if I'm not flying with Ethihad or Qatar etc?

Nope there are no restrictions as I used it when I was flying with Ryanair before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Check your opening hours.

I use it when flying Etihad. And as far as I know it’s only really open to suit flights by Etihad, emirates and Qatar do if there is none scheduled it may be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭crisco10

Another comment from the "don't bother" brigade. I've had access to the various lounges for free over the years, and I honestly cant tell the difference. They are all just light snacks (think fruit, biscuits, soup etc), and a small drinks fridge.

I only use them as somewhere to chill that is a bit more quiet than the rest of the airport, but that's it. And I certainly wouldn't pay €30+ for that. Oh, and once I used the shower.

I haven't used the lounge beyond US Border Patrol (Green 51), so comments above don't include that one.

51st and Green is the only lounge worth using and even then I'd only use if I got it as a part of my fare.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

51st and Green is OK but don't think it's streets ahead of the other lounges in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

If you're in need of a shower then please book a lounge and use the facilities.

Other than that you're best off turning up good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

Used T2 Aer Lingus lounge last weekend. Not sure I'd pay full price to use it but definitely a nice quiet spot. Was included with AerSpace fare which was cheaper at booking than the Saver fare

If I'd paid €30-35 per person for average coffee and mini pastries I'd have been disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I was in the Aer Lingus lounge a few years back...

Fingers was in there.. he cleared a load of free snacks and drinks into his case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mark077916

Is the 2 complimentary drinks rule enforced in the East Lounge????

Advertisement