Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for a 6 day trip to New York for newbies to States??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Hi all - thinking about booking a 5 day trip to New York in mid July with my wife and two kids (13 & 15) and hope to do as much sightseeing as time permits but i have some questions:

1. Should i book everything through travel agents or book everything online myself to save some money?
    2. Do you need a temporary visa or ESTA to travel over to NY for 5 nights?
    3. Is Covid testing still required?
    4. Hotel recommendations - something mid range and central
    5. Areas to avoid

Thanks all in advance

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's a few years since I was there but I booked everything directly, I didn't use a travel agent.

This link gives you all the information about requirements re ESTA and vaccination requirements etc.

Hopefully others will be able to help with hotel recommendations.

Have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Do your research and book yourself unless you don't have the confidence. Decide if you want to fly into JFK or Newark. Decide on a nightly budget, narrow down what you want to see and choose accommodation accordingly.

No point in staying in The Bronx if all your sightseeing is going to be in lower Manhattan.

Don't forget to include tips in your budget. If you decide to book through a travel agent, look carefully at the hotel location and reviews..

July will be very hot and humid. 5 nights will only scrape the surface of NY .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

Be aware that it could be oppressively hot in NYC in July

Was there in November & booked everything ourselves

You will need an ESTA to travel to the US. Apply as soon as you know your travel plans

COVID testing is not required but vaccination is

Hotels - central to where? Midtown is a good option with lots of choice & convenient for Hudson Yards, Theatre District/Broadway, Central Park, 5th Avenue, Times Square, Grand Central & more with nearby subway to Downtown. We chose Arlo Midtown

Can't comment on areas to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

ESTA is needed - make sure you are on the official governemnt website when applying for this. It's approx $20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

Yes it's easy enough to get fleeced if you aren't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

And make sure your name on passport matches Covid cert and airline booking

Any recommendations for online booking agencies? (Budget Travel seems to be the obvious one when searching the web)

Or is it cheaper to book hotel direct and flights separate with carrier?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I booked flights with Aer Lingus and hotel with booking dot com. Then got to JFK and got a $33 5 day metro ticket and travelled around the place on that. I didn't see a need for a travel agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Where do you find your ESTAs ??

i applied for them earlier in the year, but we had to cancel our trip,

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You can search for them on the ESTA site using your passport number and DOB etc.

Having said that , over the course of dozens and dozens of trips to the US I've never once been asked to provide evidence/information regarding the ESTA.

Once it's valid , that's all you really need, the border check people can see everything they need on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

As far as I know it's not a requirement anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It was required last Feb anyway. But I don't think that it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

The amount of scaffolding around NY will shock you - its there to protect pedestrians from falling debris. Buildings are falling apart and bits are falling off

I thought there would be no such thing as jay-walking, but its just like home..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Hmm.. Not sure where you flew..I was in Boston last summer and was not required

Any good recommendations for pubs/bars in midtown Manhattan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have never been in a bad bar in Manhattan. There is tons of good bars. Just google what's around where you are staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Refinery Hotel rooftop bar.

Jimmys https://maps.app.goo.gl/bLubAkjAVfiB1hJD9

Rudys https://maps.app.goo.gl/wDkftkKoVbdSzgZ5A

Rum House https://maps.app.goo.gl/fzmU6CifqpNWwCh48

Try get down to the Village though. Much better area imo. 142 Sullivans, Blind Tiger, The Wren, Moga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

Hi guys,

Just reading the posts from here however thought I'd ask a few questions to get some more research as I'm looking at a trip to NY next year in late Spring or the Autumn.

I heard mixed reports about NY, some say it has changed for the worse, smell of pot on the streets, more crime, can anyone vouch for that based on their experience, maybe if you are living there?

5 top attractions you would recommend for someone travelling solo into photography and only there for 4-5 days (is it ok to walk around with a DSLR camera)? I'm guessing a trip out to Liberty Island is a must being one attraction, also on the fence as to visit either top of Empire State or Freedom Tower for city view shots.

Looking at Air BnB in Brooklyn as Manattan is too expensive. I take the subway is easy to use and get around. Would you recommend a cab at any stage in Manahattan if you were tight for time and wanted to go from A to B?

Any other tips welcome! Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Theres a smell of weed in most big US cities now. Its a nice smell.

Theres hardly any crime in Manhattan. Its very safe.

Best place for a few shots is Top of the Rock. https://www.rockefellercenter.com/attractions/top-of-the-rock-observation-deck/

Its $40 and the Empire State is $82 to go to the top.

Im shite at photos and this is my pic.

The High Line/Chelsea pier also worth a look for photos.

Dont bother with cabs. Traffic is mental and the subway is much quicker. You could stay out in Sunnyside/Woodside and get the train in. 15 mins to The Rockafeller Centre for example.

If youre not fussy and dont mind a shared bathroom you could stay in a private room in a hostel for $100-$150 a night. The Chelsea, the YMCA or the Dream Hostel for example. Very basic but shop around and you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

Thanks, wow nice shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I have priced it up a fair few times and at the end of the day it just seems like a dreadfully overpriced adventure all together?

Stay in the Waldorf Astoria, or something similar, go for it. BTW you are going to Manhattan , not New York.

Time Square is what it is, do that.

Empire state Building alludes to your sense of unlived nostalgia via a TV screen, as opposed to you having a clue why you are going in the first place.

If you see a man flying through the sky in a Red Cape Blue Lycra Suit and red boots it is more than likely SUPERMAN, he saves the world when he is not disguising himself as a timid, taciturn journalist with the Daily Planet, who is trolling his female colleague Lois Lane. Their nemesis Miss Tessmarker is a cultural icon for BDSM enthusiasts globally.

I would try and take in a gig or event at Madison Square Garden.

I would jog around Central Park with a Sony Cassette Walkman, pretending to be Billy Crystal or maybe Tom Selleck.

I can't really imagine doing much else, it is just a big huge metropolis full of people, which seen from a distance of 48 floors of an elevated skyscaper actually appear to look like thousands of ants.... traipsing chaotically all over the gaff. It is pointless trying to rationalise it much more.

Give me Istanbul, Barcelona, Rome or London any day of the week. Actually Miami is a zillion times better, trust me. All train compartments smell vaguely of ****, that is what I have learnt.

The Ghostbusters walking tour is an absolute hoot. That cowboy guy is an anti climax, there are hundreds of them. Burgers in time square are 20 bucks, be careful out there.

You will be knackered after 5 days walking around, doing what exactly? Staten island is crap, don't go near it. Try to avoid the trap that is Times Square, get out of there. I think it is an overrated toilet inhabited by rude unappreciated sceptics who live in kennels hardly big enough to swing a cat in. Go to a Jazz club in Haarlem and score some banger off the small guy on 110th street, selling jokes for a dollar. That dude can fix you up bigtime.

If you play piano and are a 5 an a half foot tall male in his mid 40's you could do worse than dress up in a penguin tuxedo and play the grand piano in some overpriced hotel foyer, scuttered drunk on Johnnie Walker and ginger ale , leering ridiculously at everyone.

Have a nice Day !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Personally I wouldn't bother with Liberty Island. I'd take the Staten Island ferry for great views of Lady Liberty and the Manhattan skyline.

Ellis Island is worth a visit if you're interested in the history of Immigration. Very enlightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You're remarkably full of opinions for someone who's never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You went to all that effort to sound silly ....? 😏

Well done !! 😂

5 days to my trip !!!! We cant wait ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I stayed in an Air BnB in the Bronx once and it was great. Right on the subway line. NYC subway is easy enough to use, fast and cheap. It's not as immediately obvious to work out as the tube in London but you'll get the hang of it quick enough all the same. Last time I was there I think I paid around 30 dollars for a subway pass for the week. Top of the Rock (30 Rockefeller Plaza) is great for photos. Good spots too are from the Staten Island ferry and from walking across the Brooklyn Bridge back into Manhattan. NYC is very safe and I've walked around with a DSLR there without any trouble.

Advertisement