Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishing your toddler happy birthday on social media

Options
  • 13-09-2022 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

People putting up a post on Facebook/Instagram about their little child wishing them a happy birthday when clearly the child won't see it. And I mean a post, different if they put up a picture of them on the day/ pics from their birthday party. It just feels like the person is looking for likes.

Post edited by Pissy Missy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I thought the novelty o that wore off in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's looking for gifts more like. Basically begging with hands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Like I get putting up pictures of what you did to celebrate the childs birthday on the day to hold onto the memories, but just wishing them a happy birthday on social media, I just find it awkward and strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That's fine, but block anyone who isn't close and didn't already wish the child a happy whatever from seeing the post. Otherwise it looks a desperate appeal for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I sometimes wonder is it done just to remind relatives to call over with a card with something in it for Johnny!

Ha maybe, though surely if they're worth knowing, theyd know or you'd invite them over for bday cake 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Thirsty for likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Each to their own, I wouldn’t put a picture of my kids on social media platforms for anything, even if only family see them. Other people over share their lives. It doesn’t bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

but think of the little angles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

or telling their other half how much they love them.🤮 Do it in person ffs, no one else cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

*Look at me! I am so unusual I managed to sow me seed/have my egg fertilised*

Eurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They are the same people that preach #bekind, but wouldn't blink an eye at giving hospitality staff a hard time.

And who call their husbands 'hubby' and makes them wear matching pyjamas at Christmas.

Probably give expert advice on every mammy group on FB too.

Manufactured nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think you all need a break from social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I find it odd that people put up so many pictures of their kids on social media. Myself and my partner, both, keep our kids off all forms of “social media”.

The tide is turning…

My wife does this and I don't like it. However, to steelman her actions for a minute, such posts are intended to be seen by her aunts, uncles and cousins who all live in a different country and who take an interest in her life. They're not public posts.

She has a friend who posts very intimate family moments on FB (like her husband arriving at the airport and being met by his small kids after being abroad for two months, all set to cheesy music) and I cringe whenever I see such posts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's the same mentality that posts messages to dead relatives who, if there is an afterlife, are sure as feck not sitting there reading your shite on FriendFace

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭foxsake

while there is plenty cringe and fishing for likes on social media this isn't one of them .

imagine taking issue with wishing your kid a happy birthday on YOUR own page.

It's a nice milestone for most parents and why not share the happy news cos if these milestones aren't to be shared then why have social media at all?

bizarre notions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I do this but it's usually a pic of us all on the birthday - I have a lot of relatives who live abroad & we use facebook as a way to catch up with what's going on in each others lives. It's not looking for anything at all - my page is private to friends only.

And sure you could say the same about anything posted on social media, not just children's birthday pictures.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah a pic of you all on the birthday is different to an announcement happy birthday 2 year old jake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'd get if there was a party and you put up the pics of say 2 year old Jakes birthday but simply wishing jake a happy 2nd birthday without his pic taken on the day makes no sense to me, 2 year old jake isn't on social media (well I hope he isn't), if you want to wish him a happy birthday, perhaps the person should actually say it to his face 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Husband could request that wife refrains from posting such intimate moments like...

I've reached the point where I have to pick my battles. I will never win on the birthday posts, but I have made it clear that it's unacceptable to post airport-esque moments, and in fairness my wife sticks to it.

As to the other husband I can only conclude that he doesn't mind his wife posting such moments for all to see, or he is unable to get her to respect his privacy. I never discuss it with him. Too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Because humans crave attention and need to be told how good and amazing they are or they'll get depressed because their life isn't as good as the perceived excellent lives of other social media "personalities". It creates a gossip group for the owner to bitch about who did or didn't reply, what they said, who shared it, liked it, hearted it. The ignorant leading the blind.

I've no problem if people have a private group for their actual friends and family to share pictures with, but people who post pictures of their kids on public profiles should be shot. Just waiting for the inevitable court cases where kids sue their parents for sharing their childhood online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Or the engagement ones "I said yes" with a picture of the ring. Or the massive arse photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

It's in the same league as those posts under an article of someone who died like "gud nite sweet prince u livin it up wit da angelz now hun xoxo"

Advertisement