Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SETU set to purchase old Crystal site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Another red herring! It will never happen.

Why spend the money on our own when we can spend it on more refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭914

While this is welcome news, I'm skeptical as the money is ring fenced? Where have we seen that before? Waterford Airport had money ring fenced in 2007 for runway extension, terminal extension, apron and taxiway extension.

The catlab had money "ring fenced" and we still wait for 24/7.

Lack of a detailed plan other than student accommodation, SETU Waterfords needs a campus expansion of new teaching buildings and courses.

Why the delay with the crystal site. GMIT were able to purchase just under 10 acres for over €8 million 6 months prior to becoming part of ATU.

Why are we still talking about the crystal site? This could have been purchased since 2010 at a fraction of the cost now, so it looks like the old WIT was told to play ball with SETU or you will see nothing, starving Waterford of investment for over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I hear wat yee are saying, john cummins did say there are certain details he cannot discuss but look we wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Read what Senator Cmmins said

Despite a great deal of misinformation being put into the public domain regarding the purchase of this site, I can confirm that Minister Harris received a report from the HEA on September 1st & has moved quickly to attain sanction from the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform to enable SETU to commence formal negotiations with the owner of the site.

The college does not even have permission from the Department of Public Expenditure to negotiate for the site. Are we that naive?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Valhalla90

Cummins is just trying to keep the positive vibes going when in fact the whole SETU is an absolute farce. Name change over the door is all we got. Fine Gael has been detrimental to Waterford. The crystal site I will believe when I see it with my own eyes!

• Advertisement

I would love to know what the disinformation is, "Despite a great deal of misinformation being put into the public domain regarding the purchase of this site"

If you are going to throw that out he should at least state what the misinformation is.

well it was supposed to be frisby's business hub centre that went the way of the Dodo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....wouldnt be worrying too much about that chap, plenty of tax avoidance since its announcement!

yeah i though ye weren't allowed sit on land anymore!!!

Think he found a loop hole in that due to the soil being contaminated, and the asbestos that was present.

Nevermind frisby, WIT should have been allowed purchase this site since day one, it made so much sense but government had zero interest in expanding WIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

still plenty of land hoarding occurring around the country, policy is still extremely weak in preventing it, governments have very little interest in trying to prevent it either, a good ould land and vacancy tax is well in need, but nobody truly willing to implement them, ffg wont touch them with a barge pole, surprise surprise!

i suspect the car park was truly created in order to try reduce/prevent whatever dereliction taxes are in place!

no flies on those type of owners!

no thats true, was supposed to be a business park

jaysus god knows what the locals have been breathing in!!!

Advertisement