Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering our Friend TFBubendorfer

Options

Comments

I didn’t know the man- I’m not an athlete- but I am a boards community member. And it sounds like he was a very positive influence in communities, both virtual and otherwise

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

So sad to hear the news and condolences to his family. Knew Thomas to see from different races and he always looked like he enjoyed himself which showed in his blog and his postings on here. Absolute gentleman who will be sorely missed by the Irish running community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sincere condolences to his family & friends.

He asked me to be mentor only a short while ago & whilst I completely doubted myself & said I wasn't sure if I was the right choice, he said some lovely & funny things to change my mind.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Terrible terrible news. So shocked and saddened to hear this. An inspirational runner and person - his blog was a constant reminder that we can achieve our goals with persistence and hard work. I first met him in my first marathon in 2010 and was fortunate enough to run alongside him in a number of subsequent marathons. Sincere condolences to his wife Niamh, children and extended family in what is a very tough time - they can be super proud of him. May he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That is such terrible news. Condolences to his family and all who knew him. Our paths crossed here on a couple of occasions, relating to the mentor role, and in those exchanges he was always patient, humourous and generous with his time. It was clear to see why he was held in such high regard by those who knew him well. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sincere condolences to Thomas' loved ones. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus, terrible news, rip

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kurt Godelfish

I'm in shock reading this news. Sincere condolences to Niamh and his children.

Thomas was one of the nicest, most helpful runners from around these parts. He had a rare ability to impart wisdom and share useful advice across the spectrum of the distance running community. For years he volunteered to pace at the Dublin Marathon, and its fair to say he was the best ever at this job- there's not many you would trust to pace a marathon group to 3:10, but Thomas was a pacing metronome and he never let you down, year after year. I had hoped to meet him again at this years marathon; alas he will be deeply missed. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

Awful news. I didn’t know him but have followed his blog on and off for years now. It was always entertaining, informative and very self deprecating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭event

R. I. P.

Was a minutes silence at the Ratoath half today, impeccably observed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice tribute at Shanganagh parkrun this morning where Thomas was a frequent member of the Bray Runners pacing team.

RIP Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very shocked to hear this. Condolences to his family and to his close friends on Boards.

I met Thomas at a no. of races over the years and he always had a kind word. His blog was a fantastic resource and a great read. His talent belied the name of his blog - he could run well over all sorts of distances and terrains.

I remember him or his generosity and appetite to share all things about running which he loved to do. RIP Thomas.

Post edited by Slogger Jogger on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Such unexpected and sad news. While I never met Thomas in person I found him a very knowledgeable and encouraging poster. Condolences to his wife and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

RIP

I loved his blog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

It was a lovely tribute and so well respected.

I also really enjoyed his blog and didn't realise he had started writing in it again.

One of the Boards AC originals and a wonderful asset to the forum over the years.

Condolences to his family and friends, of which there appears to be many.

RIP

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

This is very sad news, a proper community man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I was so sorry to hear the news today. Such very sad news. I had very few direct interactions with Thomas but always found his posts friendly, helpful and informative.

My sincere condolences to his family. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Very sad news. He always encouraged others.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Only saw this news on Shanganagh Facebook page this evening. How awful. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

That's terrible sad news to hear. I had the good fortune to run a large portion of the Dingle marathon chatting with him a few years back & he was such a genuinely nice friendly person. The Running in Cork blog posted about his passing so clearly he connected with people through running far & wide. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I was familiar with his posts terrible news, my deepest condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

Very sad news, RIP Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Thomas's blog got me dreaming of running marathons all those years ago. He rightly kicked me out of boards once. His posts were always spot on, and he was very pleasant to chat with when running. The running community will miss him.

My thoughts to his family and friends.

Shocking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just heard the news, a very sad time for Thomas’ family and friends and a huge loss for the Irish running community.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

We all have two lives- our normal one and our running one. Thomas was only part of my running one but they were often land mark occasions, chatting to him while he was pacing Dublin and I was trying to be the best runner I could be, doing my first 50k in Donadea. He was at many of my running life’s milestones, absolutely floored to hear the terrible news. Just wanted to pop into the first place I bumped into him in the virtual sense back in the late 2000’s when I started running and became part of the running community that he gave so much to and loved so much.

I hope his family get to see these messages to see how well regarded he was.

RIP Thomas.

Post edited by sideswipe on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

A sad loss, a family left behind him, god be good to them.

A great character he appeared to be, very generous with his time.

We've lost a lot of selfless people like this the last few years, Jerry Kiernan, Ray Flynn, Pat Hooper, hard replaced. Hope then next generation get a crop as good to help them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Very sad to hear this. Condolences to his family

RIP

** Moderator - is it possible to make this page available to his family at some stage - just to show the affection he was held in by the running community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Very sad to hear this. Chatted to him at races a few times but more on here. Was a great writer of his running exploits. Think he banned me for a period of time on here too but not for good reason. Very sorry for his wife and family. May he rest in peace.

Advertisement