Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold a car and gave away the logbook

Options
  • 09-09-2022 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Long story short, I sold my car and got the full payment for it yesterday. When handing over the car, they also took the logbook with them after putting in all the details and I signed for it. They also put down the time the car was sold. Its been a day and they told me it hasn't been posted yet. I'll be checking on motortax.ie everyday for the next few weeks to see if it's been updated. Just wondering, if they were to rack up any speed fines or traffic offenses in the next few days, would I have to pay the fines or is there anything I can do about it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Registered owner is liable, they can then clarify later what happened. It's not a good idea to give logbook away for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Did you get any receipt from him?

Do you have his name, address and phone no. ?

If you have you don't need to go meeting trouble half way they probably will post it and all will be well.

If you are really worried you could contact Shannon and explain your problem or request a replacement log book and fill his details on it and then the car will be in his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Leon0222

It was mostly through bank transfer with a bit of a cash deposit. I have his full name and address aswell as a photo of the Vehicle Registration Certificate filled out with his details on the transfer of ownership section. I've also contacted Shannon explaining the problem just to try and cover myself. Am I being paranoid or is there a genuine risk fines being sent my way? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

You've enough to "cover yourself" in the event of him delaying the posting of the log book - but yes, the seller should always post off the book. A garage once did this (delayed change of ownership) to my sis-in-law and she got toll charges sent to her. She LIFTED them out of it - in the showroom, making quite the scene for all the "customers" there at the time.

Relax - it'll be grand! You have his detals and bank info - to prove the purchase date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Make a character judgement. Do you trust the bloke you sold the car to if so forget about it. If not, you have all his details and have a good defence in the unlikely event anything untoward does happen.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just a tad paranoid.

You seem to have a good defence if an issue arises.

For future reference always post it yourself except if trading in to a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Relax, there hasn’t been a problem yet. It will take a few days to update on the motortax system. If they filled the logbook out they have no reason not to post it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Yep, you are being paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dublin49

happened to me with banger many years ago.Buyer never completed sale and parking tickets started to arrive,I remember had to go to a rights commissioner and swear I sold it to the buyer and got off the hook that way ,that was 30 plus years ago so not sure what happens now.

Advertisement