Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange query - tee shot

Options
  • 08-09-2022 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Casual golfer.

Played with a regular golfer in a society.

His teeshot hit off a sign on the ladies tee and shot back behind the tee box we were shooting off.

He claims he can take a new tee shot without penalty.

He was fairly adamant.

Was he taking advantage of my lack of knowledge or is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

No he can not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It depends on wheter or not the sign is deemed to be a movable or immovable obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Can you quote the rule?

Genuinely interested in reading the definition. I thought the only time you hit something on the course and you re-hit is overhead powerlines or some sort of local rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I don’t think it matters if it’s a movable or not, relief is only from it impeding a swing.

he should have played it as it lay.

it would be covered under rule 11.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

lol, play it as it lies, the chancer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

The only remotely similar situation to this I think is if you hit overhead wires, you must tee off again with no penalty. But even that is subject to local rules. Hit a sign, it's play it as it lies, as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Thanks

Yes, he's a bit of a chancer

He wasn't in the prizes on the day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s amazing how many guys don’t know the simple rules. Not at you OP, but this so called “club golfer” and there are soooooooo many like him, although maybe not quite as blatant as that 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Xander10

What would be the penalty in a stableford comp? a scratch of that hole or disq ?

I think if I was in the OP's situation, I would have pointed out that I think he is wrong but if he plays it back on the tee as a freebie, that would we clarify the rule with the organises at the end of the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

if he signs the wrong score on this card then its a DQ

If it is corrected after the hole I assume the hole is scratched in stableford.

On the hole itself I assume he would just have to play it as it lies

• Advertisement
Advertisement