Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Not what it used to be. Like?

Options
  • 08-09-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭

Some have said, and it may have some truth, that Cork is on the slide recently. What do ye think? I suppose one of the disadvantages of living in Cork is that there is nowhere else better no matter where you go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

You could say the same about most places. There's a thread discussing if Galway has downhill over on the Galway City forum! My favourite version of Cork was the early 90's to mid noughties/celtic tiger era variant. I feel Cork has gone a bit downhill since then (since about from 2014 onwards in particular in my opinion), and i'm not a fan of the Horgans Quay development at all, and the one on Albert Quay either.

The development on Horgans Quay blocks what used to be some nice scenic views of the city, and it's a shame that the Sextant bar got demolished as well! It is what it is really. I see people talk in this way about other cities as well. Oh this place was so much better back then etc.

Cities just evolve and change as the years keep on passing. We just have to accept Cork for the city that is now, and work towards making it as good a place to both live in and visit as possible. There is an issue with drug addicts and whinos begging. The drugs problem started to really take effect during (before that there was no real heroin problem) the recession years, and it seemed to go to another level during the Covid era, but lot's of cities have these sort of problems sadly.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess you are right. Importing problems from Dublin as usual.

Simiilar thread on Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Can't ever remember being to Cork

Really? Have you been to Dublin? Are you Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Its a traffic clogged hole with an aversion to doing anything about it but moaning, see the opposition to bus connects. The drug problem started during McDowell's time as Justice Minister, Heroin wasn't an issue until Spike was closed and inmates started going to Heroin infested St Pats and then the links were made with suppliers coincidently 05/06 had the largest droughts of Hash Cork ever had, yet Heroin all over the place make of that what you will. People are always moaning about new buildings in Cork yet nothing is done with the existing wrecks until they get burned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Many buildings in the city centre need either a serious lick of paint or need to be torn down. Washington street is an absolute state, in particular the city centre side of it. Such a prestigious sounding name. I wonder what Americans think when they take a tour of the street named after their ex President.

The entire docks area needs to be nuked to dust. Such a horrific sight driving into the city. I had an argument with a Cork person before about that dock area. He said the buildings are great and he loves them. "It reminds me I'm home bei, there's nuthin better than lookin at dem buidings when ur drivin into d city".

The city has taken on a bit of a more sinister feel since covid. Maybe sinister is too strong a word. Perhaps dodgy is a better one. The grand parade area from 5/6pm onwards is not a pleasant place to be, especially around the electric bar area towards the river / little foot bridge thing. I can't remember this dodginess pre covid, however I have a feeling it might be due to the social obliteration during covid and some lingering psychological effects of that. Maybe it's the same as before, but we're just more on edge after a year of sitting in the house doing nothing.

I'm not from Cork but do live here. Just my observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's amazing how much cork city looks just like a smaller Dublin. Main difference is the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I've always seen Cork as a more compact and charming version of Dublin. Although to be fair to Dublin i feel it's safe enough, outside of the general O'Connelll Street area.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Back Home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's very tired looking all round. Empty boarded up buildings and so many places that haven't seen a paint brush in years. Dirty streets and just a general sense of neglect. The prioritisation of cars to the detriment of other users is dreadful. Streets like MacCurtain St, that actually have some good establishmemts, absolutely ruined by having cars everywhere.

The lack of policing is also very evident. And when you have local councillors against any sort of progress (e.g. loads of councillors moaning about BusConnects and supporting NIMBYs) then not much will really change for the better.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Agree on the cars. If we had only emission free buses and cars in the city, it would reduce some pollution, but as they still all run diesel, the place just reeks of exhaust fumes.

The dirt is something alright, our climate and pub culture means we have more mess generated than other places maybe.

Do we have street cleaning machines going around any more? We don't need to be able to eat off the streets, but there's a layer of grime and pollution that could be cleaner. Stepping over dog/human/bird waste. Cigarette butts floating in puddles, gum on the pavements, the usual litter everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe if the buildings we had were renovated and repurposed, rather than sticking up glass boxes that don't fit in and calling it progress? This country always had a hatred for old buildings, look over in the rest of Europe and they are cherished and maintained to a high standard. Many cities have a closed to traffic highly instagrammable old city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

To be fair, those beautiful buildings in Europe were mostly built on colonialist regimes. We were asset stripped and then burnt to the ground. Not exactly a level playing field.

Thread open now on Dublin not being necessary. One poster called Cork, Limerick, Athlone etc as kips!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Definitely Cork is not what it used to be like. Growing up in the 80's, mass unemployment and emigration. Left in the 90's and came back early 00's. Thankfully overall changed for the better. Some of the biggest companies in the world now have significant operations here Apple, Amazon, Meta, Intel, Pfizer, Merck, Pernaud Ricard, etc. Lowest unemployment rate in the country, some of the best restaurants in the country, best and most extensive food producing region in Ireland, best coastline and ultimately just some of the best lifestyle opportunites anywhere in Ireland. It has also turned around population growth and is now the fastest growing metropolitan area in Ireland. Inward migration rates in excess of anywhere else in Ireland. There are now over 400,000 people living within a 20 mile radius of City Centre.

Thankfully our city is hilly and there is always a view unlike the flat boring urban areas elsewhere. We have recovered from several nasty recessions and over the next few decades will continue to expand significantly as the strong economic base and employment clusters will ensure more investment into the future. There are growing pains and problems but thankfully you couldn't compare Cork now to what it was even 15 years ago. More regeneration is or has happened recently than at any time. Unfortunately the biggest problem with Cork is that the LA's have to go with a begging bowl to a centralised system in Dublin that wants to control everything and be accountable to no-one (Civil Service). Until we get a directly elected mayor with real local funding streams then we will struggle to advance our city. The slowness of our City Council with decision making doesn't help along with an inability to maintain infrastructure. Too many people in City Hall just sitting on their hands pointing elsewhere.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭yagan

Having lived a few times in Dublin and Cork I'd pick Cork everytime. It's compact, has enough of everything and despite their presence the scrotes of Cork are no where near as prominent as they are in Dublin inner city.

Advertisement