Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless refugees in Dublin - where did they arrive from ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

You were never compelled to do anything about this neighbour of yours who was letting in possibly hundreds of thousands of unchecked immigrants into the country then, no?

And yet here you are complaining about immigration. Honestly mate it looks to me like you had your chance to make a difference and blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

no, I’m sure he has superiors who were tasked with the management and auditing of his day to day performance… I blew it ? Awhhh shucks 🫣😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

RTE this morning once again beating the poor asylum seekers sleeping on the street narrative. No opposing points of view, despite the fact that most people in the country if they were asked would say these weren’t asylum seekers, but 130 fit and healthy economic migrants. Not our duty to house and feed them. Stricter controls required on our ports and airports. RTE and the chattering classes need to cop ta f€€k on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One lad interviewed was from Zimbabwe, claimed he was being persecuted. Easy to state, how do you verify?

Badly need tents set up adjacent to airport, put people in these temporarily and interview them. Anyone not meeting strict criteria with proof should be put on a flight back where they've come from. No appeal.

We also need to start interviewing all Ukrainian claimants and sorting out those who are genuine war refugees and those who could return safely where they come from.

What's going on is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TagoMago

It's not to do with "checking", anyone can arrive by plane or boat and claim asylum as soon as they arrive (before border security), and are entitled to have their claim considered under international law. In turn this can be either accepted or rejected. In most other country's in Europe this might take a few weeks or months but in Ireland it takes a few years.

• Advertisement

The Ceann Comhairle the other day was arguing for greater variety of representation in the Dáil - more women TDs, more younger TDs and more TDs from immigrant communities, so their needs could be represented and legislated for.

With regard to latter, what we're seeing is the move to transform Irish society & culture towards some mishmash of cultures. Like everything, a little is good but too much is detrimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Didnt Ireland introduce a law a few months ago that they would not accept 'refugees' that arrive from safe countries, suh as UK, Europe, US. How many flights arrive in Ireland directly from African and Asian countries ? Anytime i travel from Dubai for example, they check that every non EU has a visa to land in Ireland, if not, they don't let them board.

These guys came from the UK, either via Holyhead or NI. I think NI, as a few months ago as I travelled Holyhead-Dublin, my passport was checked twice in Dublin. And if I wasnt white irish looking, I,m sure police in Holyhead would have asked for my passport or ID.

Everyday hundreds arrive in Kent illegally and are registered/finger printed by UK officials. They reckon another dozen arrive most days undectected and dissappear in the UK. They have mates or family waiting for them. I would be pretty confident the boys in Dublin were the undectected illegals that came in to the Englisg shores from Calais. Someone told them, go to Ireland, land of the riches for 'refugees' .. and Please Note, I am excluding all Ukrainian and Syrian & middle east people who came via a legal refugee program from that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It was mentioned recently that the threat of sending asylum seekers in the UK to Rwanda is resulting in increased numbers coming here instead.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/06/13/uk-asylum-seekers-to-rwanda-policy-partly-behind-600-hike-in-applications-to-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

There's a whole book of issues.

When asylum seekers fail we don't deport them, if we did we'd clear up a lot of space in DP for asylum seekers and not failed ones who are appealing or overstaying.

When someone arrives at any point of entry they can claim asylum, they are then entitled to get their case heard.

A lot will have "lost" passports and ID's so can claim to come from anywhere and deporting becomes much more difficult when you can't prove where they arrived from.

We announced turn key accommodation after 4 months, sent it around the world in numerous languages and didn't actually have any plan to have this accommodation available and then we started to nationalise those without documents (illegals).

We are going to be in a very difficult situation and continue kicking the can down the road, we should 100% be helping and accepting refugees but we should IMO be limiting asylum seekers, especially from "safe" countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ireland, like the rest of Europe, is now multicultural. I have no problem with those from minority cultures being democratically elected. I would have an issue with quotas being imposed to shoehorn them in however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Often this is done for dramatic effect. Increases their bargaining power.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If they arrive without ID, for example a passport, this means they deliberately destroyed the passport, this should mean immediate deportation.

By that I mean within 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Rise of the far right in Sweden.

Election on Sunday and they are favourites to get a majority.

Here we are sleep walking into the same issue.

Will we ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

One of these Asylum seekers (interviewed for comment last night on RTE news) had a strong London accent which may suggest that many of these are coming to Ireland to avail of a more liberal Asylum system. There are no border checks at Belfast Airport for domestic (UK) flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I heard one on the radio talking about going somewhere "in town" ......... surely a Dublin expression? Not one I'd have expected a fella fleeing from persecution in Africa to have picked up. Do they use it in London too? I never heard it there. I would have assumed the fella was already here a long time

For those people giving out about Immigration officers at the airport, there is not much they can do. Once a person presents themselves and says they are claiming international protection, they have to be processed. They cannot summarily dismiss them. It was well known that people would land at the airport, tear up and flush their documents down the toilet or otherwise dispose of them and then present themselves at the immigration with no explanation of how they got there.

It is also legal to travel on false papers once you declare it at immigration.

Sure, a little is good of anything - too much is not. Is it any wonder we see a rise in Irish nationalism and the language lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aland123

This might explain some of what's happening

Albanian traffickers exploit Irish back-door taxi route into UK

Soft border controls between Ireland and the UK are being exploited by Albanians to smuggle migrants into Britain in taxis for up to £2,500 less than the cost of Channel crossings, an investigation has found.

The Albanians are working with Irish criminal gangs to fly migrants into Dublin – often with fake EU papers – before providing them with an Irish taxi driver to sneak into Britain on ferries.

The backdoor route costs the migrants around £2,500 per person with a further £300 to £400 for fake ID bought in Albania. It costs an average £5,000 to £5,500 for an illegal Channel crossing in a small boat.

One gang organiser told an undercover reporter the trips were staged “every day”. 

“You must get to Dublin. We have the price of £2,500 from Dublin to England. It’s 100 per cent secure. You need to get a European fake ID so you can get easily to Dublin,” he said.

If challenged 'make a big noise'

If challenged at Dublin, the migrants are advised to “make a big noise” and claim asylum. “In 12 hours, they will let you go free. Then the taxi arrives and you can get straightway to England,” said the gang organiser.

Government sources said Albanians’ freedom to move in mainland Europe is “a challenge”. The National Crime Agency (NCA) has also previously expressed concern about the use of the Common Travel Area as a backdoor route into the UK.

Passports are not currently required for UK and Irish citizens travelling between the two countries. Although air and sea carriers say they require some form of identification, documents are not always checked. Ireland is not in the EU’s Schengen Area but will accept EU IDs as well as passports.

An NCA spokesman said: “Organised Immigration Crime is a chronic threat, the scale and complexity of which evolves all the time.The NCA works to target and disrupt the highest harm of organised crime groups at every stage of their activity – in source countries, in transit countries, near the UK border and those operating inside the UK itself.

“We also work with partners including immigration enforcement, policing and overseas law enforcement, to support their investigations.”

Home Office and NCA officials will meet senior Albanian police on Tuesday to discuss plans to fast-track the deportation of Albanians who enter the UK illegally.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) revealed that 915 migrants reached the UK on Saturday, bringing the total to more than 25,000, double the rate of last year. Home Office officials say between 50 and 60 per cent of arrivals are Albanian.

As with the Channel, Albanian people smugglers tout their deals on TikTok with the hashtag @dublinengland. One with the picture of a taxi boasts: "Ireland England 100 per cent secure. No need to pass customs with private taxi.”

Another with a similar image claimed: “From Ireland to England every day with private taxi. Good price.”

Asked about the route, a gang member explained that there was “no need to pay for a fake passport, just an EU ID. In Albania you can find it for 300-400 euros.”

He added: “If you will be stopped at Dublin make a big noise, make it tragic. Claim asylum and for 12 hours, they will let you go free.”

Asked about the taxi drivers, he said: “They are from Ireland. They know the people who work on the ferries. They get paid as well by him. I have many years working with these Irish people. No one will bother you. No problem at all. We have this sorted. Just get to Dublin.

“For two people in a taxi, we can make the price £4,000. Only be sure your IDs are a good quality.”

The NCA said it was using its “full suite of powers” to reduce the ability of the people smugglers to “recruit, communicate and advertise” their services.

Since announcing an action plan with social media firms in December, more than 1,600 posts or accounts had been removed. “However, we are clear more needs to be done and this work is ongoing,” it added.

@aland123, Yes, it works. Boys are sorted. All their mates will be heading for Holyhead as we speak.

RTE news : 100 asylum seekers due at Abbotstown campus today

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0908/1321371-asylum-seekers-ireland/

If I got offered a college place in Dublin and couldnt find affordable accomidation, I,d rock up at these refugee centers and claim asylum. Ditch my ID, pretend I dont speak english.

Would our social services find me accomidation to ensure I have a roof, bed, food and basic toiletries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Hopefully those arriving and seeing the fact that we’ve nowhere for them will relay that info to their mates back home. I’ve no probl with refugees but there are chancers out there that should just be put back on the planes and sent back, we cannot take in the whole world, and the less that we have to go around, the quicker the sentiment here will turn against migrants. Far right will come to power in Europe within the next 10 years, it’s inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I, for one, cannot think of a more trustworthy source than an Albanian people trafficker on TikTok.

Will accept his prepaid fees in Bitcoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

The same issues that are happening around Europe with economic refugees is making its way here,the deal here is a lot better than most other European countries and word is spreading.

We are sleep walking as you say into a bigger crisis than any of the current (cost of living,climate change,housing,health) this crisis of course exacerbates the former.

The anger is palpable and just as night follows day there will be a rise of the right situation.

They weren't smart enough to deal with the wave of economic refugees in other European countries (although the Brits pulled a good stroke with the Rwanda thing,althought I thought it was quite shocking at the time but hey,it's working to a degree) You can be absolutely sure the teachers,estates agents and publicans in the Dail won't be smart enough to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Finally common sense is prevailing in Sweden and if the Sweden Democrats party get in, they will start to deal with the moronic decision to throw open their borders and let all in sundry in.

Parties here would do well to take this information in. Ireland is already in a desperate situation with it being common knowledge to come and live here for a free ride.

There is a huge vote out there for a party to take a stricter direction with our country and stop the inflow of freeloaders. I'm all for the rise of far right parties and a lot more are I suspect. They are just being shouted down by the liberal left woke brigade for so long, who believe multiculturalism works.

True story. About 10 years ago, my aunt (irish) living in London was at the hairdressers and got chatting to lady who wascleaning the floors, sinks, etc. The lady was from an African country, and when my aunt said she was Irish, the lady said she was moving to Donegal shortly. My aunt asked, why Donegal? The lady told my aunt her friend who lived in Donegal, and 'it was much better for refugees than London'.

Now, that was before the recent housing shortages amd Urkraine conflict, but its only an example of how Ireland is viewed by certain illegal migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I haven't been around these parts for a few years, is this the norm for a thread here now? Full of bigots and racists, no moral spine with an overactive gob manifested through a hot keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Speaking of Ukrainians. Met one from West Africa recently who claimed to be a refugee from Ukraine and could only speak French.

He's living a nice life in a hotel with free bed and board and 208 a week pocket money.

• Advertisement

And our 3td level students (Irish, EU and non EU with study permits) can,t find a room, or if they do, paying €700-€900 and still have to feed themselves plus pay bills on top. Thats if they or their patents can afford it. We read now that so many cant go to college or have to defer places. A lot of students are moving abroad to study, chances are they may setlle there with a job, partner and eventually a family once they graduate. And these students are our future teachers, doctors, nurses, IT experts, engineers, lawyers, accountants, etc, who we depend on to manage society and our economy in the years to come.

I'm all for helping genuine refugees and supporting Ukrainuans until they can hopefully return home, but our young people are our future.

Advertisement