Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stack system - swing speed training aid.

Options
  • 07-09-2022 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone got one of these systems delivered recently and what is the cheapest way. I see the € and $ are at parity and a Uk reseller has it for nearly €400 before postage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Do you need a launch monitor on top of the stack kit too?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Yep they recommend PRGR for swing speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Don't waste your time or money on them. They all say(reviews) that the swing speed improved after a few weeks/months and mine did too. I started swinging around 80, within a few weeks I was swinging at around 95+ a fair jump apparently but I wasn't gaining an inch on the golf course. You would also need the dedication of a tour pro. What the monitor tells you and what your eyes see on the course are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

Something seriously wrong if you went up 15 mph and gained no distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He went up 15mph using their drills but didnt convert it on course

Have heard other similar stories

• Advertisement

Can only speak from personal experience using superspeed sticks and it worked for me. I would have thought there should be some gains from a 20% increase in swing speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’ve a PRGR launch monitor and will have it in MJ Kilkenny if anyone wants to try it out.

Can you elaborate on how it worked for you? Did you actually gain distance of the tee and how much? From reading countless reviews, everyone sees big increases on the PRGR launch monitor but the actual golf course is another thing, and be honest 😉

I've gone from averaging 95/96mph with driver to 100+ average. Have noticed in my own course I can carry bunkers I never could before. I'll bring the prgr with me on practice rounds for feedback. Hoping this winter to continue with speed sticks and also add some strength work to compliment it. I would say I've easily gained 15 yards and possibly more if I could hit the sweet spot a bit more often. For my tuppence worth I feel its easy for people to get very cautious when they get back to the golf course in competitions and are less willing to let rip

• Advertisement

Fair enough, although I still don't regret off loading mine. All in all, the game changing golf product it ain't, not that i expected it anyway. You can swing weights like bejaysus every day and it still won't make much difference. You either have it or you don't.

Well in a way it has changed my game. Have lost 2 shots after stagnating for about 3 years . Plus you definitely won't have it unless you work at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree I have the swing speed sticks and have definitely seen an increase in distance! I was swinging at 94mph now am at 102mph regularly but have only used it for 4 weeks. Its something you really have to stick at which is the hardest part!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It worked for Matt Fitzpatrick who was a short hitter and now well above average on tour.

They work if you do the right training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It's definitely a game changer if you can apply it correctly to your swing/game. If you went from having a 80mph swing to 95mph swing there is no physical way the ball should not be flying further off the tee unless you done something drastic to how you were setting up between speed changes. I was playing off 9/10 a few years ago but wanted to get down to low single figures as I always felt I had it in me. I went to a golf Pro and he basically broke it to me that I needed to get stronger (core) and faster (swing) if I wanted to see an improvement. Bloody 6 months with those swing sticks, along with a core fitness plan to go with the lessons and I got there. I had huge improvements within the first 3/4 weeks from just using the sticks but it then flat lined for another month or so. It was only when I started getting a bit fitter and had more control/stability through my core to go along with the constant speed training that after 4 months the changes were chalk and cheese...I went from about 230/240 average off the tee to a comfortable 275/285. (I have cracked a good few over the 300 mark during the dry summer months). The fitness plan has peterred out over the past 3 years since I started this but I still do a speed session with the sticks once a months and would use one to warm up before a comp most weekends and my speed has managed to stay where I got it too. I was tempted to go again and follow Marc Crossfield plan (don't know if you follow him on YouTube) as he went on a journey of getting himself form 270/280 average to 310+ but the thoughts of the 6/7 months is torture and I don't know if I would see it through. Plus I'm quite happy with where I am at, playing off 4 now and seem to be relatively comfortable with it and there is probably other aspects of my game that needs finer tuning (wedges/chipping)!

I seen a vid of Mark Crossfield hitting hi 320 yds and was like how did he get there! have you a link to his Journey! As I am really struggling with swing speed I need to do strength training as well as the speed training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Would also be interested in seeing this. I know he has spent a lot of time working on timing his Peak Force on one of those mats used to measure Force. I think it links in with his launch monitor to be able to show where his peak vertical force is and where it should be. Would love to get on one of those mats to see, i bet there is easy gains to be made if you were able to time your peak force.

He hasn’t provided the full details of his journey yet, but from some of the stuff I have seen from him over the last few months he does plan on doing one. I am tempted to try it when it comes out, but from my previous experience I know its going to be a lot of time and effort. He has dropped in a few hints throughout some of his latest videos and he has been focusing on his swing speed technique (he doesn’t say what he uses but I’d guess it’s superspeed) and for his gym work he seems to be focusing on legs and core. You can go down a rabbit hole looking for info on this stuff, but from my experience I don’t think it will vary too much from what I did before. My advice would be to go to your local golf pro and tell him what you are planning on doing, he should be able set you with a lessons program to help with the speed changes. Then get yourself to a gym!!! to I am based in Dublin so I went to the fitter faster stronger gym as they had guys there who knew what was required when it came to golf fitness (I’d assume most gyms would these days as golf conditioning is such a popular request these days). This was the expensive side for me as I wouldn’t have the discipline to do it alone so I paid for PT sessions from here and got put through the paces…

Post edited by Ottoman_1000 on

I went through this concept with the club pro (he didn't have the mat however) but we did work on some stuff to help with my timing, this was the hardest part of the swing for me as it felt like I was just adding an additional swing thought to what was already going through my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure what he did on the fitness /strength front but he completely changed his swing technique.

He's basically just going all out with his driver now and hitting 320 sometimes when doing so indoors... so he can reduce that a little on the course and feel in control but still see a gain. A technical and informed process to get there but he seems to be just going for it like never before. He old swing was very controlled and he patted it down the fairway in his words.

Watched a few of his videos on it and while a golfer of his ability is impressive, he had distance there to gain but just going for it a bit more.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats the think though. I have gone flat out loads of times with driver and haven't gotten anywhere near 300 yds never mind his 320! and he hasn't seemed to bulk up either! But I would say he is a way better player than the average Joe like me. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

He was starting from a base of around 280ish though Benny and is a pro, so would be presenting optimal delivery and swing, on top of the strength/speed improvements.

So, say it gave him a 10% distance increase. Applying the same to you, might mean going from 230 to 250ish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

For a guy who has made a name from calling out manufacturers on their BS, I think he has fallen into the trap himself.

The latest video he has on his gain is titled "From 262 to 320"... which would make even Taylormade blush.

He was hitting drivers straight down the line, with very little deviation and getting 295 total carry two years ago.

He is now jumping out of his shoes, spraying it around (relatively, he was always extremely accurate driver) and getting 320 occasionally.

It's interesting to see how he has changed his swing and all that but he's overselling it imo.

Random video of him testing out drivers 2 years ago. Numbers at 9:44.

https://youtu.be/OYdj4W3-vI4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly I think a lot of it is his stagnant viewing figures etc. on YouTube

He's gonna have to start playing ball with manufacturers now and skewing some numbers potentially too to gain some interest

I used to love his course vlogs but got completely burned out of watching them

Yeah, would be the same. Used to watch a fair bit, but it's the same schtick every time with him now on the vlogs and is fairly annoying at this point.

Sorry to derail these thread, I haven't looked at too many of his course blogs lately but from I have seen it looks like Rory is no longer involved. Have they done away with him??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He was involved because they were being sponsored by the company he works for, Your Golf Travel (Digital Content Creator)

Looks like he’s purely involved in Your Golf Travel’s own YouTube page now

Yeah pretty YGT do their own vlogs at this point. Have seen a few on YouTube.

I use to love Mark than as above posters said he got a bit relentless Kinda going through that phase with Rick Shiels and have reverted back to Mark and am quiet enjoying his content of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yea his stuff can be good, I probably go in rotation between them all and get fed up of them. Will never go back to Peter Finch though, his face is too smug for my liking :D

Advertisement