Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bonded Bead Timber framed house

• 07-09-2022 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice

We bought a house few years back in Swords house is Timber framed few days ago got a sales person selling bonded beads injection as they were doing it in house near by.

My question is can it be done on timer frame house from info I have seen here it shouldnt be done but those post are old and maybe technology have change since

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've limited experience with timber framed dwellings but don't they need a vented cavity space behind external wall face, in front of the iinsulated timber frame? Otherwise timber could be at risk of rotting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Well it can be done of course. But it shouldn't be. Timber needs to breath so the cavity should be ventilated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

In timberframe houses there are air vents on the external block wall - above DPC level, and also below the soffits.

This allows any dampness rising from the cavity from below DPC to be vented through these external wall vents.

This prevents Dry Roy from occurring in the inner Timberframe leaf.

The Moran who tried to sell you bonded beads is a Delboy Trotter.

Do not under any circumstances fill the cavity.

There may be 100 mm of insulation between the timber studs of the timberframe. This would give a good low U value.

If the timberframe was constructed pre approx 1975 - there may not be any insulation between the timber studs.

You will need to remove a small section of plasterboard to ascertain the existence of any - and type and thickness of the insulation between the studs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

1st bit of advice: never buy anything on your doorstep

2nd bit of advice: (and as others have said) never inject anything into the cavity of a TF house

If your house loses its heat quickly after the heating is turned off then excessive air leakage is likely your house's main problem and adding insulation will not address this weakness generally. So beware where and how you invest in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 robi0543

Thanks for all replys

That is what i was thinking that it is not recommended doing it on TFH

He was persistant and was ringing me few times after I told him all the facts :D

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement