Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Future of Virtual Reality

Options
  • 05-09-2022 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I watched an interesting program describing how We work from home in small cubicles, with virtual reality headsets. Obviously homes will be smaller in the future.

- no grocery deliveries required ( intravenous delivery)

- no exercise required (e.g. leaving the matrix pod), as electric stimulus is used.

- external social data integration through the virtual reality set

These Homes stack well and can be assembled together to form a grid or Matrix.

It sounds like Heaven to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was it an 80’s sci-fi show?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10 futballnightaction

No, think IT was in the sixties.

Was on the same schedule as "Mr. Ed"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So, Surrogates but on a smaller, cheaper overall scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Futures made of virtual insanity, now

Always seem to be governed by this love we have

For these useless, twisting, of our new technology

Oh, now there is no sound, for we all live underground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

• Advertisement

My plan is more than just old wooden boxes.

I'm planning to integrate the VR and intravenous systems into the PULSE Dasboard.

The full kit will be marketed as "Sarcophagis 1.0"

The initial product will be deployed above ground.

Vincent Price movies put me off the Underground idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can it be more like the Oasis in ‘Ready Player One’ than the clunky Wii looking Facebook one?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Why not just have the whole life in virtual reality instead? Or maybe it already is...dun dun DUN!

I can only hope for something close to it within my lifetime! I would 100% be one of those people who wouldn't leave it. Real world sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Millions of people work from home using zoom, Skype, Vr headsets are not comfortable to wear for long periods, yes there's some good Vr games but it's very much a minority interest. Ready player one is fiction,

People play games on pc, games console, Vr is not popular for gaming. Unless you are doing 3d design I see no advantage to Vr, its being pushed by Facebook because it missed out on mobile, its losing users. Maybe in 20 years there, ll be slim light Vr headsets, assuming the world does not run out of water, and we survive climate change. Its like 3d tv, Vr is not attractive to the average user, just because you can make something does not mean people will use it.

People use browsers,social media YouTube, tik Tok, on phones, wheres the Vr killer app?

VR is evolving. It's not mainstream just yet, but the want is definitely there. I'm on board. PSVR was a nice introduction. I'd love to have the money for a proper Index setup, but yeah, not gonna happen. PSVR2 will be very interesting next year. As I said, Ready Player One won't happen in my lifetime I reckon, but it will definitely happen. Technology is only really coming into play in the last decade or so. Headsets are slowly getting lighter, smaller. Screens are becoming thinner, bendable. The biggest issue right now is power, but that's an issue for all sectors. We're badly due a breakthrough in clean, cheap and portable power. Once that's resolved, technology will take a leap again. It won't be the VR we have now, but it will still be VR.

Rather than taking a killing attitude to VR, we should be embracing it, combing with/expanding to AR. It has so many potential uses across every industry, especially education where it can show things in far better detail than a flat screen ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Consoles are getting more powerful , 4k hdr games look amazing, the problem is if you play games in Vr, if theres fast movement , most people become sick, there's no way people will be playing games in Vr like fortnite , call of duty in Vr, even if a headset was 50 euro I would not use it, most people did not like 3d TV, most people have no interest in Vr. I see story's about the switch or , the new valve portable steam deck, I see very little about Vr games, I'd prefer to play 360 Xbox games than Vr games and the ps5, new Xbox games look great, I think the public has turned away from Vr gaming. Yes in the future there may be useful Vr ar apps for artists and designers as the tech gets more powerful, we have a common basic design for console controllers, 2 analog sticks, and standard button layout , it would be good if company's could agree on a standard controller design that works on all future devices

Even people that have Vr units use them only for a limited time it' gets hot wearing a headset

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You have to be careful with VR it can give you false memories etc and for people who are prone to schizophrenia its not good.

You're ignoring that VR is still in its infancy. Modern technology has made VR possible, but it's still a young system. Motion sickness will eventually be removed with advances. Flat-screen gaming is hitting a peak, games are starting to look ultra-realistic, screens are getting bigger and clearer, but there is a ceiling there. The future of gaming will be about immersion. The PS4 brought VR to the masses in the simplest form, and showed there was a market for it. PS5 has it with the DualSense, and the upcoming PSVR2 will have built in haptics, creating more immersion. You can only go so far with flat-screen, VR has endless possibilities. We just need the technology to advance.

Think of trying to get a full 360 view on flat-screen with head/body tracking. Would cost an arm and a leg. VR does it for a relatively small fraction. Because of the amazing DualSense, I'm fully on board with haptics and what is to come. Gloves, backpacks, shoes, full body suits... I'm on board for them all, because I'm at my peak of flat-screen. I want more immersion, and VR is the, imo, natural progression for gaming. Now, do I believe it'll be completely like Ready Player One where you're in a virtual threadmill? No, I'd imagine it will eventually be more like most animes show it, putting on a headset, lying down and "logging in", controlled with the mind. That's future future though. In the meantime, RPO type VR will be the goal.

And before someone starts on about the ridiculousness of wearing a full body suit to play a game, there are hundreds of thousands of people putting on a "suit" of some sort to do their hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

There is no doubt that virtual reality is in an early phase of development. However, there are already a number of applications for virtual reality that are being used successfully. For example, architects and construction firms are using VR to create impressive 3D models of their projects. Virtual reality can place users in environments that would otherwise be too dangerous or difficult to access such as war zones and natural disaster areas. It also gives users opportunities to explore exotic locations or dream up fanciful scenarios without the need for expensive travel costs or hotel stays. The education sector is also taking full advantage of VR technologies by providing immersive learning experiences that can take students on field trips virtually. And I am not even going to start with what VR is for gaming. It's definitely changing the gaming industry and opening up possibilities for new and innovative game designs. Now, on a less serious note, it's hard to have a hypothetical discussion about IV food delivery, when using a template instead of writing a social media proposal is like climbing the very top of the tech mountain for some of my colleagues. (Not that I have been eavesdropping, but I overheard this conversation at work. Lord have mercy, this has been a common practice for a while now, who hires these people... What percentage of us are ready for the progress of VR?) Back to the point, it's hard to say exactly what the future of virtual reality will be since it is still in such an early phase of development, but I expect VR to become more sophisticated and realistic, allowing users to interact with virtual environments in ways that are very similar to the real world. And I can see it happening over my lifetime. 

Advertisement