Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poisoned Glen, Phoenix Park wind farms.

• 04-09-2022 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Why aren't we developing places like Poisoned Glen Gweedore, Phoenix Park,Beara Peninsula and Vale of Avoca for solar and wind farms?

These places would have perfect layouts for rows of turbines and solar panels.

Or is it just taxes that will save us?

Post edited by Jonathan on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'm guessing your trolling, but why ruin good locations when you can generate MORE power offshore with wind turbines where they don't bother anyone.

Illogical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I don't think we need to go near popular places. There is acres and acres of poor land across the midlands barely suitable for sheep to graze. Sheep could still graze it while the farmer and government could profit off panels all over it. Everyone would be getting better bang for their buck.

😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Theres a good few wind farms up here already in Donegal.. I think we're actually a net exporter of power... Im sure I heard that somewhere.

And its not as simple of just plonking them on the mountains.. That bog slide recently that shut a whole project down.

For solar... Look at all the roofspace we have!... Next suggestion would be solar freaking roadways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"These places would have perfect layouts for rows of turbines and solar panels."

1. You don't put turbines in rows for two reasons - it is visually poor and if the wind is travelling along the row, then the ones further along the line won't get as much wind as they could if you staggered them.
    2. You don't put wind turbines and solar panels in valleys and hollows where they are sheltered for a proportion of the time. Solar is more suitable to the southern part of the country where the midday sun is higher in the sky.
    3. Installing these things needs to follow the law - you have to get planning permission and follow environmental rules. This means that if there is any form of disproportional impact, you can't build them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Trolling I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That's enough of that thread. Obvious trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement