Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cold dark winter...

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was going to post but this has summed it up for me.

Most people I know including myself were glued to lots of different media and in full fear mode in the early days of Covid. I'm guessing it broke all kind of numbers,fear sells,that's the way it's going to be for the foreseeable.

There seems to be a tiny chance of actual blackouts,yet the media and some on this thread are taking it as a given.Lots and lots of fear,panic and scaremongering about (worst case scenario) not having power for a few hours (won't happen by the way)

I definitely could understand it with Covid as it was a completely unknown situation but this is a total overreaction.

I'm not taking part in the madness this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I'll make some adjustments. I'll go to the gym more over the winter in the evenings to spend less time in the house and use the showers, walk to the office instead of working at home to avoid heating (15 mins away) but like the poster above I couldn't be fucked with getting caught up in the absolute fear mongering going on throughout the media this time.

I know Inflation is there, but I'm not going to let myself get panicked and consumed by it. Just make some adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just normal provisions and precautions.. Like everyone in remoter areas not good to need to ask help from neighbours because you have not prepared sensibly for all eventualities. And sometimes to be able to help a neighbour in unexpected need.

NB that is " experiential learning" after once running out of bottled gas years ago.. The SMIRKS! First - and last - time in decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I was the same. I never took much notice of the news and media until covid. I was out of work then and I was hooked into the misery.

I'm trying to unplug from everything. I might even cut out this website. I have no social media, stopped using reddit, cut out youtube despite music, no news media. This is the only place I see current affairs and probably will cut it out completely.

This winter will be fine, no one will starve or freeze to death. Time to stop worrying about bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

People freeze to death every year in Ireland. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you are a person that panics, that's the first issue you should deal with.

Add panic or emotion to any task and it becomes a problem.

Learning to stay calm, learning detachment, learning that success or failure in any single thing is not reflection on you, not needing an emotional Perspective on it.

Learnt that the very hard way, well, learnt that I needed to learn that outlook.

Learning and practicing that is the best preparation.

Old folk die of hypothermia every winter as heating is so expensive already. Either it is a contributory factor or a direct cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pensioners who own their own home do very well in this country. A lot better than in the UK for instance. Bertie bought their votes in the 00s.

It's working families with young children, living in rented accommodation who are struggling the most but yeah let's go on for the zillionth time about how bad pensioners have it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

. Yes families too but they can do more than we can.ie find ways to keep warm whereas many of us lack the mobility,,

An d many of us live in rented accommodation. And we have less physical resilience and mobility.

Severe weather is bad news for many folk of all ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why don’t we all go and fight with Ukraine and take the gas from the Russians??

Winters in Ireland are easier than the decade I lived up in the wilds of Orkney. Actually I loved the challenge. But it was hard work. Gales that made wind here seem like a breeze. Gusts of eg 124 miles per hour. No ferries for days. And being so far north a few hours daylight in winter and almost continual light in summer t

We burned turf there too. A very similar lifestyle to my offshore life here. But more intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭HBC08

Fair play to you.

I cut out fb but found I needed it for work so just use it sparingly now,I god rid of the Indo app (this was arguably the best thing) I stopped watching Primetime and RTE news as its no longer a current affairs programme.The scaremongering is here to stay now and I find it really intrusive and sinister.More so for older /suggestible/depressed/stressed people,the next segment then is usually about mental health! It's very wrong and is causing a lot of damage.

I really should get off boards aswell but there are still elements of it I enjoy/ find useful.

I've never had a Twitter account which is a healthy choice I think.

No one is panicking here thankfully. Just making realistic and sensible preparations. It really is a case of needing to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. No harm in getting well stocked with the way prices are rising.

Advertisement