Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22/23 WC thread

Options
  • 02-09-2022 2:50pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Contemplating using my WC this week.

Going from this:

to this:

No Salah.

Can do 4-3-3 or 3-4-3(mostly) depending on fixtures.

Haaland will be (C) pretty much every week with Kane/Sterling/Diaz as (VC)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Jesus is owned by 80% of players - not having him is asking for trouble imo. Other than penalties, is MacAllister a goal threat?, if not I don't see the love at 5.5m - you might as well downgrade to a playing 4.4m player and use the funds to upgrade one of your cheap defenders.

I wouldn't be sold on Kane - I feel like spurs make hard work of scoring goals and he plays very deep - Nunez at Liverpool could be better shout - they are going to be scoring/creating a lot more chances that spurs are. This would give you funds to get James.

As poor as Salah may have been - he does have 2 goals and 3 assist so far this season, with two double digit scores. I've guessing the reason your keeping TAA is based on previous seasons, because they are not keeping CS, and their fixtures aren't appealing for CS in the short term, so it's kinda of like your happy to dump Salah who is doing ok, but keep TAA that did well against a shocking Bournemouth team for FOMO.

Does PEA coming in affect sterling's appeal? Sterling has 3 goals in two games, but he missed 2 glorious chances before scoring against Southampton, Other option would be to spread the funds and have Maddison and Zaha instead of Sterling and McAllister

• Registered Users Posts: 32,961 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’m wildcarding.

Currently looking at

Ward Iversen (Leicester’s fixture improvement and likely managerial change should see things get slightly less bad)

TAA Dias James (this combination could easily become Cancelo Cucurella) Patterson Williams

Salah Gross Maddison (he’s the circa 8 million guy without europe most weeks now and nice fixtures coming up) Martinelli Pereira

Haaland Jesus Toney (to become Mitro in 2 weeks, although I could just go with him now, haven’t fully decided)

Don’t see the appeal in arsenal keeper at all.

I wouldn’t go without Salah either but it’s the lack of Jesus that I really don’t get.

I like the idea of 2 premium defenders and then rotating in 1 of 3 cheaper defenders, depending on fixture, but not if it means I’m only getting Sterling in return. I just don’t like Sterling as an option. Needs too many chances to score imo.

I’d rather have Cucurella and 5m than Sterling as I don’t think there’ll be that many points between them come the end of the season.

Andreas should be your 4.5m midfielder.

To be honest I just don’t like the balance of that team. No way I’d be having a 5.5m starting midfielder on a WC. I’d be changing formation and spending that 5.5m on a starting defender.

Not upgrading the GK on a WC is a mistake imo. I also started with the 2 Leicester guys (nothing ventured ….) but was delighted to upgrade after 3 weeks. There’s no argument to go with them on a WC.

If its cash related then I’d go Cucurella over James and use that money on the GK.

As Klopp said - any playing keeper is better than starting a Leicester keeper - if your convinced that they will come up - just keep ward and get the likes of Raya in for 4.5m, as Brentford's fixtures are favorable. I don't really see the love for Gross, and would be playing pereira over him imo. Pereira is involved in everything. Depending on the price you got gross you could save up to 1.3m and that would help to upgrade keepers or even get you Cancelo over Diaz

• Advertisement

Also think WC is a chance to get ahead. Proactive and not reactive, as such.

Nunez and Jota coming back now so with Firmino also available maybe Diaz will have chances to be rested. I wouldn’t be buying him on WC.

Isak looks a real striker and playing for a good team, that creates chances, and with good fixtures. A good example of ‘getting ahead’.

WC’s should now know where the value is and those players should be showing up in teams. Cucurella being the best example.

For the cheaper starting midfielder (under 6.0m) I don’t see the value. With the exception of Martinelli I think they are all traps. If you’re willing to keep moving to a cheap midfielder (every 2-3 weeks) with good fixtures then fine but I’d rather change formation and spend that sub 6.0m on a permanent defender.

ASM may be a great punt but unfortunately is an injury waiting to happen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

@Ace2007 @[Deleted User] Apologies, I thought I hit transfers confirmed this afternoon, I didn't, so I'm not on w/c.

I now have beer onboard and will not w/c this g/w.

I will take your recommendations on board for when I do.

Also, Emerson at 4.0m, could be a good option. If Moyes goes back to 3 CD’s then Emerson should be wingback and Cresswell should start, if fit, at LCB.

West Ham are a top 8 outfit now.

And at 4.4m it will be interesting to see if Gilmour can nail down a place at Brighton and might be more interesting to see where exactly Potter plays him. Will Potter see him as a defensive or attacking mid ? It’s likely to take time for him so probably not a concern for another few weeks.

1 hour to deadline and I’m looking at this instead at the moment but still feeling like some tinkering may happen. Anyone awake and ready to talk me out of some perceived silliness?

Sanchez Ward

James Trippier TAA Cancelo Williams

Salah Martinelli (Gross Aaronson Pereira)

Jesus Toney Haaland

I won’t pick on your selections but what formation do you see yourself playing most often ?

I’ve never liked having to make a weekly choice. Get the money on the pitch.

I don’t like the Gross pick but a lot of people do. I don’t like the idea of spending 6.0m on somebody I’m willing to bench.

I like the Toney pick and he can become Mitrovic when both those teams fixtures turn around the same time. I would try and get Isak though. Could be a season keeper in that attacking Newcastle team.

I think for that Gross price I prefer a back 5 of premiums and would have Dias or Cucurella ahead of that 6.0m midfield spot.

unless starting one of Williams or Pereira each week allowed you a 9.0m striker (instead of Mitrovic) which I doubt. You could have Nunez or PEA if he ever comes good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

What's your original team, how many transfers you making?

It's a solid XI but still feels very templatey. Your 3 midfielders are great bench options but seem expensive, worth upgrading Neco Williams? (I know he has a great fixture but I'm not convinced long term).

Weird week where having Toney and Trippier alone was basically enough to make it a good week 1 of wildcard.

The only thing different from the draft above was that I followed the advice around having money too spread around the time, and downgraded Aaronson to Gilmour and kept the money in the bank for when I want to change something (meaning I can upgrade instead of sideways move when that time comes)

The plan remains to go more week with Toney and then switch to Mitro, although Jesus to Mitro is an option too if I decide Jesus isn’t that fixture proof (although that feels unlikely even if tomorrow doesn’t go well for him)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Not as active on boards this year sitting around 3.5m and feeling a bit meh about the year. News of the cancellations has thrown up the opportunity for me to have some fun with it and swing against some of the 'big hitters'. Pulled the trigger this evening and first draft is looking something like

Pope begovic

Taa cancelo james trips emerson

Son/kdb barnes bailey martinelli paqueta

solanke mitro haaland

may try to shoehorn zaha in for barnes/paqueta after this week.

Understand the risks attached but im happy to play the fixtures with all the big boys facing each other in weeks to come and gamble that my punts outscore them over a 5/6 week period

Post edited by The real mccoy 91 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Checking in for the week too. Sitting at 1.3m OR but figure this might be a good week to sneak a gain while others are trying to sail through the blanks. need to use the WC before GW16 anyway.

Biggest ditches from my current team are Sanchez, TAA, Salah, Toney, Jesus. Fixtures and/or form turn for all of them.

Italics are the players with blanks this week

• Pope (Ward)
    • Cancelo James Trippier (Emerson Neco)
    • KDB Martinelli Bowen Diaz (Andreas)
    • Haaland Isak Mitrovic

Toney may come back in for Mitrovic

Have some cash to upgrade Emerson or Nico to Fofana or Malacia too.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭nice bit of green

Apart from city players, am trying to keep away from teams who are also in Europe. I just think they all have too many games.

pope & raya

cancelo, trip, coady

b silva, andreas, Gordon, jwp

ebh, mitro, isak

bench: Maddison, tete, collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Messing about with WC here.

Anyone with any inside into why Bowen is included in so many WC drafts? It's fixtures v form debate for sure. He's on penalties and decent run of fixtures but has shown the bare minimum so far.

He has only 1 BC in 6 games. No returns. And they play Liverpool in GW12 when City and Arsenal players will blank.

Zaha looks the obvious one over him on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭nice bit of green

Possibly coz he scored in Europe last week and people are hoping for a return to last year’s form?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Scored a penalty. Couldn't see much else from his 2nd half appearance of note. It's a punt for sure to get his form back.

If he blanks in next 2 GWs, a mass exit will happen. Salah is "not in form" but still on 38 points Vs Bowen 13 points after 6 GWs. (Yes some luck with Salah but he is involved in the games). Different price points but for most it's Salah out for Bowen + a Zaha/Maddison/Rashford from templates about.

It's just a long way back to Salah when funds spread.

For the first time this year, there is actually 50/50 spilt on what players to get and this is where gains will be made if on the correct side. And it is fun!!

*Can't wait to be wrong side of all of this 😂

I'm a WH fan, watch most of their games, and I have him in my WC team. He's definitely a punt rather than a reliable player, but...

• Eye test, he was great against Spurs and Chelsea (3 chances created, 5 shots).
    • West Ham playing better with the new guys settling in (€200m of new signings)
    • Fixtures look perfect, all the teams that are conceding the most.
    • Proven FPL player from last year
    • Possibly penalties (although I have a suspicion he was given that one as "he needed a goal")
    • If he doesn't do anything in the next 4 (eve, WOL, FUL, sou), he's a relatively easy swap to Luis Diaz when Liverpools fixtures turn a little nicer, avoiding Liverpools run of (blank, BRI, ars, MCI)

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Lanzini will be on penalties if he’s on the pitch and there’s a possibility Rice may take them over Bowen I reckon if the Argentinian is absent.

• Advertisement

Rice has missed 2 of the 3 PL penalties he's taken. Lanzini is far from a regular with Paqueta around.

I'd say Bowen has a decent chance of taking over there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Currently on this with 0.7 in the bank for KDB to Salah

Ward Iversen

Trippier Cancelo Emerson Fofana Williams

ASM KDB Maddison Martinelli Andreas

Kane Haaland Mitrovic

A couple of corners cut in defense but I very much like the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Do we think Ward will keep his place or are we better to anticipate he gets dropped and go Iversen for 3.9?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think either way I wouldn't be letting a Leicester keeper near my starting XI.

Ya can't be WC and having two Leicester keepers that's just terrible imo.

I know it's his first game but seeing Fofana and Koulibaly benched tonight is interesting - Potter playing James, Dave, Silva and Cucurella in back 4.

I'm choosing Iversen as my 2nd GK that I have zero intention of ever playing in my starting XI.

If my starting keeper gets injured, I'll prob need to sub him out, that extra 0.1 is more valuable in the long run IMO. Team only to do us until the post World Cup wildcard.

Toyed with a couple of WC's, latest I've settled on which feels balanced yet a little punty.

1.1 ITB - team in bold for GW8

Pope (Iversen)

Neco Williams, Cancelo, Trippier (James, Fofana)

KDB, Martinelli, Paqueta, Andreas (Soumare)

Kane, Haaland, Mitrovic

Pope (Iversen) - Pope for the good run Newcastle have coming up. Iversen simply because he's 3.9, will never start.

Williams - decent attacking stats and cheap

Cancelo - I want City defensive cover and he's the pick of the bunch IMO.

James - BGW next but he's fun to own, think Potter will make Chelsea a lot better defensively.

Fofana - a risk due to whether he starts or not in GW9 plus a Chelsea defensive double up. At 4.4, prob worth the risk with 5 decent games for Chelsea coming up

Tripper - similar to Pope, good games coming up and on set pieces. High ceiling.

KDB - gone under the radar because of Haaland's start but with upcoming games, he could return nicely. KDB got 4 last time out away to Wolves.. Also plan to move to Salah at some stage..

Martinelli - best player in the game at his price, great start to season

Andreas - at his price, should be in every team

Paqueta - a risk absolutely. West Ham have a nice run from here in (eve, WOL, FUL, sou) and fancy them to do well even if bang out of form right now

Soumare - cheap fodder who plays (or at least should)

Haaland - no explanation needed

Mitrovic - some start he's made an seems to be fixture proof, great option at his price

Kane - tough choice to make. Spurs haven't been great overall but Kane has been good. His fixtures not bad either. Leicester I'd expect to do well, Arsenal away isn't a bad fixture for him, Brighton away an unknown under Potter now, then Everton at home. Think he'll go a bit under the radar with everyone opting for Haaland.

Thoughts welcome :)

Nice team. I've taken out Salah also on the logic that his benefit reduces if you're not captaining him, but given the same logic, I'm not sure it's worth having Kane. You've got 3 premiums but still without Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Here's where I'm at at the moment:

Pope

Trippier Cancelo Coufal

KDB Maddison Martinelli Andreas

Haaland Mitrovic Isak

Iverson Zaha James Fofana

Fairly templatey I guess. Kane vs KDB is giving me a headache, could get both but feels it leaves the squad a bit weak. Haaland and Mitro are a lock, not convinced on Isak but want an attacker for those Newcastle fixtures. Just feel like there's a lot of value to be had in the spot with Toney there as well.

Zaha in place so don't need to book in a transfer though I'm tempted by Saka for two weeks instead. Enough itb to do KDB to Salah if needed.

The Coufal spot is the one up for grabs. Could be Patterson/Williams but don't really like their fixtures this week, Pickford out and wouldn't really to play Neco if I'm startttwo Fulham attackers. West Ham's NPxGc is pretty good despite their results so maybe the clean sheets will come now that the fixtures improve. Was considering a WH attacker too but hard to know who to go for and they've the Europa as well so will be plenty of rotation I'm sure.

Advertisement