Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources. How would you control the use of resources in a no money World?

Options
  • 02-09-2022 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So if we had a World where money was not needed. How would you control the use of resources? Eventually all the trees would be chopped and used as well as all the fish fished and all the minerals and metals in the World used as everyone would want some.

That is the biggest problem I see to stop us from becoming a World without money.

It's a long way away I know if even just a fantasy.

Imagine no greed do or no hunger no one rich or poor. Everyone would have what they needed and some wants maybe not all but some anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

With guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there wouldn’t be resources, because without incentivisation people won’t make the effort to create resources and services.

a doctor working 40-50 hours per in the a&e ? saving lives pretty much daily, No pay ?

a pilot who has spent years training ? Flying people around the world, spending substantial time and away from family and friends ? No pay ?

A young person going to college ? Goes to Tesco to work, but doesn’t get paid…

Reward , compensation and renumeration are just natural facets of life, all our lives. Have been since the dawn of time and will be forever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm coming up with an idea where it is put int he hands of the workers, I think it might catch on.

How'd that work out for John Lennon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Well he was a working class hero with a house in one of the nicest places in Manhattan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

He was incredibly mean with his money cutting his first wife off along with his first son and then left nothing to him in the will.

There's always going to be some form of currency. If it's not money, then it'll be access to luxuries, better accommodation, status within organisations, the right to get pregnant, etc.

Eventually all the trees would be chopped and used as well as all the fish fished and all the minerals and metals in the World used as everyone would want some.

Why? Trees can be replanted. Territories can be placed under protection for animals, or fish to be protected.. and as with anything else, humanity adapts to what's available to them. If metals became scarce, plastics would be used instead, or some other artificial compounds.

The big problem for the world isn't consumer use.. it's population growth, and the demands that population places on the land (either directly, or through Trade or aid to support it)

Imagine no greed do or no hunger no one rich or poor.

Then humanity wouldn't be human. We're a species driven by our desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You'd have to go back to bartering. It might not be so terrible to do so in the modern world since a lot of it could be done online. You could do a job on some fellas trawler and get a bunch of fish vouchers off him but the lads at the brewery might have enough fish vouchers already so you'll have to try and trade them in for prostitute vouchers before you can get your beer.

Where it would get interesting is how would you pay a crowd like nVidia for a new graphics card?

I watched a documentary about this scenario a while back. Mad Max: Fury Road. You should check it out, OP.

A world such as this,would see alot more war as people/groups battle for control of resources

A world of abundance of resources where every main requirement,would be gauranteed met,would be an interesting prospect I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs.

(form an orderly queue!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Barter is very, very inconvenient.

If I have a donkey, and I want chickens, not only do I need to find a lad with chickens to sell, but I need to find somebody with chickens to sell, who also wants a donkey.

There is a reason money was developed, to deal with the problems of barter.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

it would be great , simple minds need simple ideas so we can rule you . burn baby burn , ffs this post is so I don t have a clue it\s sad . not worthy of a debate like most topics on the internet today . controversial at best but will lead to a place the real world don\t want to .go

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ration cards.

Though that would imply the creation of a black market about 15 seconds later.

China's social credit scheme may be the pre-runner to resource allocation there.

Advertisement