Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance while awaiting NCT

Options
  • 02-09-2022 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

My insurance provider botched my renewal somehow and cancelled my policy instead. They now won't offer a new policy because I have to wait until January for my NCT. Is there any recourse or any way I can get some cover? Not driving is not an option for me and this situation is completely their fault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

This is unbelievable conduct by the insurer. In short, I reckon that the practical approach is a formal complaint to the company, in writing.

My mother had a similar problem a few years ago with a household insurance policy thanks to the utter ineptitude of the staff. I lodged a formal complaint for her. Their customer service people reverted to admit that they had messed it up and it was sorted.

You now face several problems thanks to the insurer ;

1. If you drive your car without a current NCT you commit an offence.
    2. If you try to place the cover with another insurer you may run in to exactly the same problem i.e no NCT = invalid motor insurance.
    3. If you try to place the cover with another insurer you will probably now have to declare the fact that your previous policy was cancelled.
    4. Despite your circumstances DO NOT drive the car without motor insurance as that is also an offence that will create a pile of other complications.
    5. Irrespective of what has gone on it will be your fault completely if you risk driving without motor insurance.

One point is unclear from your original post. Has your NCT actually expired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ring the NCT and they will give you an appointment much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

NCT themselves say that appointments listed on the NCT website are sometimes not a true representation of all the slots available. To get access to all the available appointments they say it is best to phone the call centre (01 413 5992), where it is possible to be put on a priority list.

You may be eligible for a free NCT test, subject to certain conditions. If you ask about it when you phone it might help them find an appointment for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Agreed, telephone NCT asap and say you are flexible on test centre and date and time. Tell them it's urgent.

Ideally if you have no insurance get car towed to NCT or get someone who has insurance to double check they are insured to temporarily drive your car without NCT and bring it to NCT.

Advertisement