Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB and RTÉ

Options
  • 02-09-2022 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I heard that RTÉ were pulling out of DAB. Does anyone know if RTÉ Gold and RTÉ Jr radio are still available on DAB, and is it about to go away soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

RTE DAB closed about 2 years ago and In other news, Elvis Presley and Lady Diana have died

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

All the former RTE DAB stations are available online and on certain digital tv platforms such as Saorview and Virgin Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

RTE really never covered the whole of Ireland on DAB, thus adoption of this technology was very slow if at all.

However pulling out of DAB was completely wrong for RTE. Especially as the rest of Europe is actively rolling out DAB the opinion in Ireland is sadly a stubborn "it's already too late".

Also, its ridiculous in keeping this LW 252 alive which nobody can receive anymore, provided they buy one of the few LW radios around.

And these digital TV platforms for radio don't help the RTE much as well, if all the new cars in the EU come with DAB / DAB+ as mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think a lot of people feel that way.

If you ever lived in an country where DAB / DAB+ offers a great choice, you'll miss it the moment you're in Ireland.

Norway, Switzerland, Germany, the UK, Benelux, they all have it and France is rolling out over the next years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Online only in the usual places, and every bit as inconvenient unreliable to my utter frustration.

The Broadcasting Act of 2009 took the responsibility away from Comreg for licensing transmission operators, as well as individual stations no matter if it's a transmission licence for FM or a content licence for someone else's platform. This responsibility has been passed to the BAI, an organisation funded by the broadcasters it's charged with regulating (creating the perfect conditions for regulatory capture vis-a-vis conflict of interest).

As it stands today, while there are several interested parties including myself who are only too happy to setup a DAB transmission service at a local, regional or national level, we are unable to do so legally because there is no process within the BAI's operational framework that allows for one to apply for a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Sounds like something the European Commission would love to hear. Restricting competition and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I've heard that may be in progress

Advertisement