Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Vespa LX 50 please.

Options
  • 30-08-2022 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Not for me 😄. My son wants to buy one for his girlfriend. Anyone have experience of them ? Are the engines dependable ? Any known weaknesses ? I'm against him buying it (as a biker of 30 years) but he's a grown up adult with his own business so it's his decision.

Help please 😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Why a 50 is the question I'd ask - I'm all for scooters (we have 2) - but I'd be inclined to say 125 or bigger.

You have to factor in licencing: she'll have to do theory test and IBT anyway.

After that it comes down to money: Vespa's carry a premium, price-wise, so the other brands tend to be better value. A friend of mine ran a Kymco 125 for a while and I thought it good value. He's now moved up to a Forza 350 scooter which is a peach.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Why a 50cc ? Good question. I'm not sure as it's my son buying it for his girlfriend. She has an EU drivers license so I'll get him to show me what license she currently holds. I'm really against it as I've ridden a bike for thirty years and know it can be hairy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Sister has a 50cc just for zipping around town and even she says its underpowered & dangerous when you get out of town a little as its not able to get up to a reasonable speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If she's restricted to 50cc by her license, I can understand that, but agree that more CC's are better.

Im a big fan of Vespas, I've had 3. They will last longer than other bikes and are easier to maintain and manage. They also offer proper style.

The metal bodies are great, my brother had a bunch of plastic scooters and all of them including the Suzuki have been recycled into plastic bottles many years ago... I'm sure I've seen my (from new) 2001 50cc ET2 vespa still on the roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

my young lad started on a 125 3 years ago, and tbh, even that is too slow for rural use around here. Everything was quicker: cars, vans, trucks. Simply unsafe imho.

He's 19 now, and been on a 500 over a year, and it is so much better now. Not saying you need 500, but 200cc+ would be good. We have a pair of 250cc Vespa's and they're literally a hoot and no, they won't catch/keep up with you. Jap ones would be more reliable though, damhik.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement