Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes or no shoes in the house?

Options

Comments

Yes, people keep pretending everyone's shoes are constantly encrusted in filth. It's simply not true. Of course I'd take off my shoes if it were the rule in someone else's home, even if spotless, but I'd resent it if no small kids or carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The people I let into my house never spend all day walking through muck and dogshit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Muck and dogshït is everywhere outside. You wouldn’t eat an ice cream if you dropped it on the pavement, would you? Before you say “rofl I don’t put my shoes in my mouth” consider that I am talking about living in filth rather than simply eating it.

If you walk around with your outdoor shoes on in your house you are living in filth.

And people know not to walk in it and if they do they'd clean there shoes before entering a house. I don't live in filth as I clean my floors when needed and I also clean my shoes/runners when needed. Talking about filth is a ridiculous overreaction to a few germs. Their are some people out there who love to worry about silly things.

I’m not worried, it’s the reality: the outside world is covered in grime and muck even if it is “invisible.”

The next time you come back inside in your “clean” shoes consider placing the sole of one of them on your cheek for a full minute. You won’t do it? Why? That’s right, because they’re dirty.

Some people don’t even wash their hands after tying their shoe laces. Clueless. Utterly clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I choose to just not invite the kinds of people who don't walk around the dogsh1t, and vomit they encountered on the way to my home

For me, you can't forget where you left your shoes if you are wearing them

My kids don't wear their shoes in the house, because they prefer not to, and it's an ordeal to find both shoes for each child whenever we need to go out

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

This reminds me of 60s when people had plastic runners on carpets, plastic covers on sofas and lamp shades. Crazy

Have mat outside and inside Hall door to wipe feet. Shoes on. Clean floors as needed.

Can you imagine dignitaries to the Aras, the White House or Buckingham Palace being asked to take off shoes.

My point in that there is piss, dogshít, and vomit everywhere outside. Every single person who goes outside walks around in it, even the high-class friends of the denizens of boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

How do some posters think their ancestors lived? Yet they survived otherwise none of would be here.

I grew up in a house with carpets and lino, we wore shoes inside, pets came into the house, we played on the floor as babies and children and there was no muck, vomit or shıte on the floors. The house was clean and the only antiseptic was Dettol for cuts and scrapes.

Are some people unaware of their immune system, how it functions and how it develops or are they too busy avoiding holding their shoes to their face?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If a friend of mine invited me over for drink / meal whatever and then asked me to take my shoes off at the front door Id turn around and go home.

Lifes too short for that sort of bullshit.

And on a more medical level theres studies out there that have shown that one of the reason for more asthma, allergies etc is because of the level that some people go to completely remove all forms of germs and contaminants from their lives and try to have a sterile environment - its called the hygiene hypothesis.

We`ve always had dogs since the kids were young - not one of my kids has ever suffered with asthma or allergies to anything yet one of my friends who is an absolute clean freak is never out of the Gp surgery with his kids and allergies.

• Advertisement

It's still only going to be a bit of dust and harmless germs. People usually aren't standing beside the sink when they need to tie there laces. I'd rather have a strong immune system by living with the odd few germs rather than having a body that can't live in the presence of germs that are everywhere

It's a fabricated fear. This is why people keep pretending here that we walk in dog sh1t after dog sh1t when we walk anywhere outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Personally I can see it and avoid it. I think I've had 2 or 3 unfortunate encounters over my lifetime and I figured out it would be best to remove my shoes then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I've kindof inadvertently developed the German "Hausschue" idea, I have shoes that I only wear around the house vs those I wear out and about. It's not religious, I mean, I'll go in the back yard or wherever with them on. If nothing else, it prevents me from stubbing my toe on something or standing on the kid's lego. I do not ask people to take shoes off, I have a perfectly serviceable vacuum and mop.

To be honest, if someone came into my house and took their shoes off, I'd find it a bit weird/creepy.

I used to manage a team with lots of scandanavians and they'd be walking around the office floor and even the corridors in socks.

We had to get HR involved and enforce dress code policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most folk in rural Ireland DO take of wellies when they come into a house but shoes? No way

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

I have a "wipe me shoes on the mop [which i leaves at front door afore i leave house] rule" when i come in front door, which i only enforce on myself 😂

plus, in this world of multiculturalism, it's kinda good in a way that something of our own remains, ie not expecting visitors to take their shoes off when they call over,, leave that to the Japs and the Eastern Europeans; and anyone else who advocates this "antisocial" behaviour 😆

then again, if i lived somewhere like Mumbai, i might see a good reason for it,,, Mops/vacuum cleaners - as mentioned above - are fairly quick and easy to use, so no point to it really 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Why do people always go to the one extreme or the other. Stifles discussion. Yes, we're not going around deliberately and knowingly walking in ****, but it's still everywhere. You don't have to walk in a lump of it to get it on your shoes.

Stifling discussion really is the best way to put it. There’s a weird kind of tone police who just look for any kind of generalisation, pounce on that and focus on it for the rest of the discussion.

”Of course you don’t mean we’re ALL traipsing around stamping on piles of dogshït, but of course you already know that.” That sort of thing. The kind of people who offer nothing to the exchange of ideas except hot air and that you can’t speak generally.

• Advertisement

In terms of it being everywhere, is it invisible or what's the story? How come people aren't bothered about not taking their shoes off in restaurants (where good hygiene is essential) or even hospitals or surgeries? Don't you think there does seem to be an element of "engineering" a fear/letting everyone know how OCD they are? There'll be similar on the latest shower thread about showering a few times a day, changing underwear a few times a day, changing bedding every second day. That's just having a problem.

And people ARE saying people traipse in shyte whenever they go out. I guess it degrades into dust outside, in which case shoes aren't our concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, it's basically everywhere unless you've just cleaned, but shoes, floors, things on or touching the ground, would in general be far worse than anything else. There's no one in restaurants putting their feet up on seats, and tables and chairs are/should be cleaned after each customer with fresh cutlery, etc. Then again, it's a cultural thing. If you want to eat in a Japanese restaurant with tatami flooring, you'd have to. Plus, restaurant floors should be washed every day, sometimes a few times a day depending on traffic. Only the OCD clean at home every day.

Then again, I'm not one to talk, we don't take our shoes off here and the father does be out the back cutting logs, washing a car, shrubbing/weeding, cutting grass, etc. It's far from as hygienic as I'd like it to be, but I tend to wash my hands a lot at home anyway. Need to keep these hands clean for the rolling!

And yes, there'll always be fear, there's money in fear. But I think a few too many people are too unconcerned. Tbh, my main reason is to make the cleaning easier, closely followed by hygiene. I hate house chores, and with shoes things get dirtier quicker. Men (usually) who sit with one foot up on the other leg, that do be hitting off furniture, which you'd then touch with your hand, etc, etc. Yeah, I get it, the liklihood of getting something horrific from your shoes is slim. But how many people wash their shoes after travelling? Like a lot of things in life these days, I'd rather avoid than have to deal with. But I'm in no position to force that in the current house!

At the end of the day, if I had a house rule like that and people didn't want to take them off, grand, be like that, I'll talk to you outside. If they had an issue with it going forward, I'd just say not to bother calling so. But I'd also need to be social to make friends to do that, which I'm also avoiding at the moment.

Shoes off, please

Ah now, putting your feet on the furniture with shoes on is a no-no. This is just about guests, who, unless they're a bit lacking, would never put their feet on the furniture. But otherwise, it's just the floor (I don't include floors that small kiddies are playing/crawling on).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's hardly treated like a crime scene. We're messy people, you should see the state of the kitchen right now. Leaving shoes at the door is simply sensible, as seems to be the majority held view in this thread.

Just been picking berries on the lane and cirumnavigated two HUGE cowflops.. NO WAY ...

And yet the majority of Irish people think leaving shoes at the door is a bit silly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Look, it's just a preference. My family and I leave our shoes at the door. At no point have I said I ask guests to leave theirs at the door. I do, no-one else has to. It's a choice. I think we could all really focus our attention onto more important matters and not blow something trivial up, to be bigger than it is.

• Advertisement

and we egt abundant rain to wash it away. I was out early today and there was a HUGE cowpat all over the verge!

Advertisement