Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Sort of an Issue with a Kitten (Might Be Minor)

• 30-08-2022 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

First off, apologies for the lack of clarity. I'm dealing with second hand information here. Long story short, my partner is planning on getting our 5 year old a cat, as she is cat mad. She's quite particular in that it must be a marmalade cat with a pink nose. Our neighbour's cat (marmalade), has been visiting our house ever since 2011 when we moved in and so I guess that provided our 5 year old's inspiration for what sort of a cat she wanted.

My partner's friend bought a pedigree cat (I'm not sure of the breed) some months ago and has been happy with the cat. My partner has looked to the same 'breeder' and he has one kitten left. However from what I can gather, the kitten is generally fine but there is an issue with one front paw where two toes seem to be stuck together. I'm not super experienced with cats, only having one from my teenage years into adulthood. I'm unsure exactly which condition they might have and if it's likely to cause issues. I'd assume the next step should be to ask the breeder to confirm what condition the kittem may have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Pedigree cats (like dogs) are more prone to genetic issues from close breeding.

All ginger cats have pink noses. Cat shelters are full to the brim of kittens and cats needing a good home. I'd recommend adopting one of these, they charge a fee, usually around €100-200, but the cat will be vaccinated, wormed and it will cover spaying if the cat is too young to have it done at the time of adoption. I think they're probably microchipped as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Stay away from it and "breeders". Anything from breeders is in-bred to an inch of it's life and is highly likely to have ongoing health issues of all types.

Reputable breeders are the exception rather than the rule. Most are just scoundrels who will say and do anything to make a few quid.

For goodness sake, re-home a poor kitty from a shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've been pro visiting shelters to get a kitten as it just seems the moral thing to do. However I think my partner feels going down the breeder route is easier as it's a marmalade kitten. They are harder to pick up in a shelter. I know the kitten in question won't be ready for about another 4 weeks so I guess that gives me time to try and look for one.

I'm based in North County Dublin. I've looked at the <snip> but had no luck there. The <snip> doesn't appear to have any either. Any suggestions for somewhere I might have overlooked?

Mod note: please don't name individual rescues on thread, as it's against the charter.

Thanks,

DBB

Post edited by DBB on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,371 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe talk to your daughter about getting a different colour kitten. You could show her pictures from the cat shelters.

Also, ginger/tabby cats are not any kind of pedigree cat..

Also, someone needs to home that kitten with the toe issue, but bad breeders should not be encouraged.

Too many cats ( and dogs ) around. The shelters are filling up.

Check the social media pages of local vets, many will have posts from people looking to home/rehome kittens and cats.

Then it's a matter of how far you're willing to travel, Wicklow, Meath and Kildare shelters might be an option.

Most ginger cats are male so make sure to get them spayed as soon as their testes develop.

What breed is the kitten you're considering? Do some research on common ailments that are caused by the breeding of pedigree cats of that breed, e.g., pugs tend to have respiratory issues, German shephards hip dysplasia etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I would get one from a shelter that's had the cat/kitten a while and knows if there are any issues and whey they are. Otherwise you could end up with an animal who ends up in the vet with big bills. They'll also let you know the temperament of the cat.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

Also, make sure the kitten is relaxed with kids. 5 is quite young. So, you'll also need to make sure she knows how to be gentle with it and give it time and space.

• Advertisement

I live in Drogheda. <snip> is an amazing organisation for re-homing cats and dogs. They are bursting at the seams! At the moment they have 2 kittens in the Pets Store on the Donore Road Retail Park, the place beside Aldi. These kittens are almost teenagers now but had a narrow escape when they were thrown in a ditch before they were weaned. They are available to view in the Pet Store with a view to getting a good home.

Apart from that <snip> is crying out for people to take kittens, regardless of colour. If it was me I would be talking to my 5 year old to tell her about what a rescue does and that every cat deserves a good and a loving home regardless of its colour. She might change her mind when she sees the cuties in the Pet Store!

Mod note: naming/recommending rescues by name on thread isn't allowed, I'm afraid. If you need to recommend individual rescues, please do so by pm.

Thanks,

DBB

Post edited by DBB on

She'll probably want to take them all home 😊

Advertisement