Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Blackberry Crop this year

Options
  • 30-08-2022 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I have had a great crop of Blackberries this year.

They are wild and haven't had any intervention from me re pruning etc. A lot of the berries are big and of good quality.

The only reason I can think of for the good crop is the heat this year.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Dunno, but I noticed the same thing when I was out for a cycle in Leitrim last week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You'd think the relative lack of rain would have them smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Ours down our road are definitely smaller, the up side is the flavour in most of them is much better. I say most because you'll always get the odd plant that produces fruits that have no real flavour.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have been watchng the same out here... A bonanza year and just really starting. Out every other day ans still just the lead berry on each spray,

The blossom was like snow so it was a promise of this harvest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No, it was wet enough at the right time. Bumper crops all round and tasting great. We're picking at least 5lbs every other day at the moment from the lane into the fields. The weather in late spring was ideal for pollination of all fruits this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fabulous crop in the garden this year no need to go down the fields - but downside to that loads of thorny bramble about the place 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

The pollination explanation by Jim Hodge above makes sense.

I'm going to cut walkways into my garden's bramble jungle this autumn so I can get into them to pick all the blackberries next year, and am going to fertilise the remaining bushes in the spring.

Worth doing, I think to give them a better chance to produce good fruit.

Nothing like a jar of good Irish Blackberry jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's been a great year for berries and fruit full stop, i've even seen Japanese hybrid cherries producing crops, which is very unusual.

Very mild winter is another thing to consider for me, lots of pollinators surviving. Established plants and deep rooters like brambles would have had no issue with the drought and good weather this year. Just good all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Great blackberry crop here as well and other berries also had a very good year. The thornless blackberry I have has had lots of fruit but the flavour on the wild ones is better and sweeter than I remember tasting before. I remember seeing flowers on the wild ones and thornless variety in greater quantities than other years and the extra sun in the late simmer might explain the higher levels of sugar and sweeter berries than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yep, totally agree. Magnificent crop here in Galway, spent an hour yesterday picking about 3kgs of juicy blackberries. One apple and blackberry pie already done as well as 6 jars of jam. If only we could harvest all the blackberries out there, it would solve world hunger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Indeed! I once got told off here for picking them and not leaving them for the birds but this year...Yesterday a 2k jug full and they are super -szed fruit, Their nutritional makeup is a sheer wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sasco

Loving the amount of blackberries this year. Made some jam at the weekend along with a blackberry and apple crumble. I will make some blackberry flavoured gin next week which should hopefully be well infused by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My friend picked 10kg of wild blackberries, I think heat, lack of rain and a mild winter have all combined to give the best BB harvest I have seen.

Good dry spring and terrific summer heat with little rain. Picked a stone of the most luscious and large berries in years. Nothing like a little blackberry jam on your toast in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Not a Robot

Great crops this year - and another one ready. The weather suits them.

Advertisement