Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring Car While Selling

Options
  • 29-08-2022 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi

I am selling my old car, and will take receipt of new car (similar spec) tomorrow.

The insurance company have just told me that I cant have a No Claims Bonus (NCB) on 2 cars at same time. So, in order to keep the 2 cars insured while I sell the old one, I will have to pay double the amount for insurance on one of them (as it has zero NCB) and also keep insuring the other. Pretty expensive!

A couple of questions -

1) Can someone test drive my old car if I dont have insurance on it (and they have 'Other Car Insurance')?

2) Can I insure my car for a day in order to do test drives?

3) Are there any other suggestions for a way around this?

Thanks

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

1. Depending on the exact wording in their policy - but yes - it's possible with some insurers.
    2. Not really. You can transfer a policy from your new car to old car for a while (i.e. for an hour, or day, etc) but that very likely would only allow you and your named drivers to drive it unless you have open drive policy. Wouldn't really help any potential buyer to test drive the car, unless you'd add them to your policy which I'd be quite wary of doing. Unless it's a specific situation where buyer does have his own insurance policy with "driving other cars" extension but only applicable when "other car" is insured. Then this would actually do the trick.
    3. Not really. In such situations I usually used to let the potential buyer just drive around the estate which was empty and no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭POBox19

If you are buying 'brand new' could you ask the garage to hold on for a few days until you get a buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Just because you have the car insured doesn’t mean buyers will automatically be covered. Realistically most test drives are probably un insured. Thats just what comes with selling a car privately.

Ask for proof of insurance if your concerned, but generally thats a bit OTT unless its something really powerful or expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

🙄 Make sure you are covered by insurance, either yours or theirs. If not then you could technically both be prosecuted - No insurance for driver & No insurance for owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Section 56 Road Traffic Act encompasses mandatory insurance on vehicles and specifies that the owner or user must be covered. The user is often the owner but a named driver on a policy is an example of a user who is not the owner. Open insurance could cover a user to drive multiple cars where they are not the owner however a lot of policies will stipulate that the owner of the vehicle must also have a current policy of insurance on the vehicle.

Otherwise you could have a garage of cars registered to different people and one policy of insurance but be able to drive them all (I think you should be allowed to do this BTW with better multi-car policies but we have to keep the insurance companies in business 🙄)

If the situation occurs where you have changed your policy to your new vehicle and you are relying on the other person to have a policy of insurance to cover the driving of your old vehicle that you are selling, but they don't - IF you were stopped by the Gardaí it is possible that you could be prosecuted as having no insurance (owner of the vehicle) and the test driver could be prosecuted for no insurance (user of the vehicle)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'd say you don't get many party invites do you pah 😂

Advertisement