Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave chappelle Wed, 14 Sep 2022, 2022

Options

Comments

If only we were in the early 2000s...

But paying €100 to listen to him regurgitate jokes from the comment sections of 2016 Youtube?... I'll have to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Nice one thanks, managed to get one of the resale tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I heard about this guy. And that he was playing 3Arena.

I threw on some stand-up gig that he did - Closer. Turned it off after less than half hour. Self-proclaimed homophobic. Sniggering away and proud of it. I don't know if that's his real personality or just a stage gimmick. But horrible man. He spent more time laughing away at his own jokes than telling anything worthwhile. And then I see that tickets are over €100 each. What the hell.

• Advertisement

It looks like it went over your head slightly because he’s definitely not homophobic

Maybe it did. But there is plenty of likewise commentary on the Net.

https://www.intomore.com/breaking/dave-chappelle-moves-transphobia-homophobia-lil-nas-x-rant/

Paper never refused ink. Watch the speech I posted above if you want to see what he really thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I went to see him last time he played Dublin, although I was 80% there to see Jon Stewart who was supporting. It was an OK gig, but just a couple of things to mention in case anyone is going.

Chappelle was super paranoid about anyone filming him, so much so, that it was a requirement that people put their phones in those little cloth bag things when entering the 3Arena. I imagine it'll be the same again this time, so there'll be an addition queue where you'll have to wait to get your phone magnetically locked in this little bag and only unlocked afterwards when you're leaving.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, last time he played for some reason there were no big screens in the 3 Arena. For me, you need to be able to see the comedian's face to fully get the experience, so unless you were in the first 25 rows, you may as well be just listening to a podcast.

Maybe it will be different this time, but I have a feeling these were special requests of Chappelle so I'd be surprised if it did.

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw Louis ck and bill burr and Jim Jeffries in the 3 arena and although the gigs were savage I was too far away , in fact the 3 arena is too big for anything other than a big screen sold out gig

we badly need a 5000 capacity venue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭maddness

I’m a fan of his but €125 for a comedy gig is insane. I have seen Jim Jeffrey’s and Kevin Bridges in the Point and it’s just too big for comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

The phone in a bag thing is pretty common at comedy gigs in the states I believe and I think it's a good thing; go to the show, leave your phone the fúck alone and just enjoy it, the way it should be IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was at that one too. And for the same reason. Was mainly there for Jon Stewart. But I thought Stewart wasn't great (His show revolved heavily around Brexit). Chapelle was great though. I have no problem with the bag. Understandable at things like comedy acts. Nobody wants to be staring at a stage through someone's phone (I once saw someone using a freaking iPad in the Point. Jeez). Eddie Vedder for example also doesn't like cameras and there is an announcement. No bags yet as the audiences are usually pretty compliant.

agreed on phones , an absolute scourge at quiet gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭crl84

The phone thing last time he was here was great. Wish it happened at every gig.

It's a great idea alright. But the phones don't really annoy me. It's the murmur of people chatting at quiet gigs that gets me every time. Especially when you can hear what they are talking about, and it's pure scutter talk. I'm going to Sigur Ros in a few months, and dreading that I'm going to get stuck close to some group that are there for the night out and tanked up to the gills. I know I sound awful dry. But it would really ruin it (for me anyway), if there is constant chatter. It's difficult to tell people to shut up, as there is obviously no rule against it.

Sorry, I know that's off topic.

A lady beside me at a Stuart Lee gig was texting all night and the girl behind her gave out and stu saw this .. he then put the phone lady at the centre of his next joke which lasted nearly 40 mins , she was destroyed 😂

actually he took phone off a guy at the start of the gig and stuck it down the back of his trousers 😂😂

Any support tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Enjoyed that (apart from Michelle Wolf, who just never really seemed to get going).

Donnell Rawlings was a nice surprise, first dude wasn’t too bad either. Chappelle seemed to be enjoying himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah it was a good night all round with plenty of laughs, but I unfortunately agree about Michelle Wolf; maybe it just wasn't her night but her set was a little flat in comparison to the other 3 and I thought she looked a bit deflated when Dave brought them all out for the curtain call at the end. Donnell Rawlings was absolutely wired (no pun intended!)!

It's really refreshing to come out of a gig and not have mountains of bullshít instagram/youtube photos or vids going on; everyone was simply focusing on the show exactly as it should be. The queue on the way in took a while (roughly 30 minutes for me) but on the way out was surprisingly quick - literally 10-20 seconds. It's a pity this isn't more common place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wasn't there, but having seen a few sets of Michelle Wolf before, even polished for streaming specials, she's just not funny.

Decent writer by all accounts, but no stand up.

looked Like Wolfe was crying at the end , yeah I enjoyed the supports certainly got the crowd pumped , donnel went full black Bernard manning at one point 😂😂

one thing I noticed was no “dynamic ticket pricing” you got the seat you paid for which was amazing

yeah chapelle was in great form , can imagine the drunk Irish lad asking him for directions in Dublin 😂😂

Advertisement