If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

"Damp" Expert

  • 27-08-2022 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

    I've an old 1970s bungalow currently rented out that has ongoing 'damp' issues in a single room. I wouldn't know where to start about identifying the cause, so would ideally likely someone who knows what theyre taking about to have a look so I can solve asap

    From reading a few threads on here (and forgive me if I'm wrong), there seems to be a few snake oil salesmen in the 'damp' industry who are out to sell a particular solution, when there could be many causes. The affected wall is a north facing gable end and there is a downpipe and gully on the outside so maybe either of those might have something to do with it. I can't say for certain whether there was any insulation in the wall cavity, but very unlikely.

    Anyway, would anyone on here be able to recommend an expert that they dealt with and solved the problem?


  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

    You need to retain a Construction Professional to diagnose the damp problem.

    Insulation was not installed in many houses until the late 70’s.

    Also room vents were not installed in most houses in the 70’s.

    Is the dampness in the form of a black - olive mould growth on the walls and / or ceiling - which is Condensation mould growth.