Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Now Ye're Talking to a US Police Officer III

• 26-08-2022 2:36pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭ Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi all! Our next AMA guest is someone we've had on with us twice before and he has been both informative and popular and has kindly offered to do another AMA with us.

He has been a police officer for over 25 years so has a lot of experience under his belt. He also has contacts with detectives in Child Abuse, Sex Crimes and Homocide who might also be willing to answer some questions via the AMA. 

If you missed the previous AMAs you can read back over them here from 2019 and here from 2021.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭ Tom Mann Centuria

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭ bricksNDmortar

What is your views on the Aggressive approach to police that seems universal across the US , and mainly based on race and location?

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

Hi, what's your opinion on the rapid escalation in militarization of the police forces across America since 9/11 where we see large volumes of military surplus being used by civilian forces.

I spoke to this on one of the previous AMA's. Like all things, there is nuance to this. Most larger agencies have some sort of armoured vehicle, typically for SWAT, and it's common for even patrol units to carry ballistic helmets and heavy vests (ones that will stop a rifle round). This stuff is not used for daily operations despite all the hype about "militarizing the police". Yes, it looks aggressive, but it's a "horses for courses sort of thing". When faced with an active shooter, you want the heavy kit and a rifle that can hit a target beyond the 25M range of a pistol. This is a sad reality in the US. SWAT will use the Bearcat if the risk assessment indicates the subject is armed, especially with a rifle. Yes, after 9/11 everyone went mad with grabbing the kit, but most of the time it sits in the back of the car.

Agencies have used the vehicles in riot situations, again, is the safest option to evacuate the wounded, protect the medics. When it's raining stones, bottles & petrol bombs, a patrol car isn't going to work.

What is your views on the Aggressive approach to police that seems universal across the US , and mainly based on race and location?

This is a bit too broad for me to comment on, you'll need to be a bit more specific please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ rogerywalters

Is the continued frequent cases of police brutality (with video evidence) not dampening morale more so then the new DA who is "after" cops? And separately what do yourself and your colleagues think of the Uvalde police department?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭ Tonesjones

In Texas which is the most common and most problematic gang?

Blacks, white biker/supremacists or Latinos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ em_cat

Have you always served in Tx? From a policing POV what are your thoughts on why the average person feels the need to open carry their semi auto handgun on their person at all times?

I was in The Woodlands in Houston a couple of years ago popped into the local HEB was taken aback at all the handguns on peoples belts like their mobile phone holders. My OH was with me and he was understandably very very uncomfortable…needless to say he opted to stay in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010

How do so many clearly violent, psychopathic cops escape the screening process for the profession? There are almost weekly videos out there of 4 or 5 big burly cops absolutely beating the living daylights out of some guy who is skinny, handcuffed and is no threat, but you see these cops just punching and kicking non stop and there isnt an ounce of compassion in them. Its clearly a huge problem where these nutcases can still get a job as a cop. Do you agree that the psychological requirements (if any) to be a cop are too weak to be efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭ mikeecho

Have you traveled internationally?, and what was your thoughts on how those police forces interacted with it's citizens.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭ CGI_Livia_Soprano

I was reading when the first AMA took place and anyone whose question wasn’t “you’re a powice man? gee whiz can I see your gun?” had their posts deleted and were ordered by the administration not to post negative remarks. Now that we’re in the post-George Floyd era I’m happy to see people are quicker to question these kind of image-washing propaganda exercises.

For all of the slagging they get, as an Irish person I’m proud that our Police force are literally “the Guardians of Peace” and not the jumped-up, under-trained, trigger-happy thugs they seem to have in the US.

My question for the OP is this: how can you look at yourself in the mirror when you button up the same uniform the murderers of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Daniel Shaver wore?

Disclaimer: If you reply to any of my posts with absurd hypothetical scenarios, lame "gotchas," or speculating that I don't really believe what I am saying, I'm not gonna bother my hole replying. Thanks.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

#bekind

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ Vestiapx

Do you think Derek Chauvin did wrong and if so do you think he deserves what's happening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ rogerywalters

Ah i think 1 is too strong. The rest are very very fair questions. What type of questions do you think the op has envisaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ Vestiapx

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ RichieRich_89

What do you think would happen if an unarmed police force, like the gardaí, say, attempted policing in an American setting?

Suicide mission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭ Slideways

Why are cops allowed to become so fat and unfit? Should there be more stringent on going fitness testing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,289 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal

Is 21 weeks of training really adequate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭ CGI_Livia_Soprano

Morale, however has tanked, especially with the new DA going after cops. he has even dug up old cases (alleged excessive force) from years ago which were unfounded, and has sought indictments on those.

Are you actually saying that the DA is fabricating excessive force accusations against “cops” you work with? For what end, exactly? I think it’s more likely that that the police are actually going under scrutiny for abusing their power that they have been getting away with for years.

Are there some bad apples in there, sure, law of numbers says so

The saying is “one bad apple spoils the bunch.” Would you agree that if there is such a significant minority of crooked bullies in the police forces in the US then the whole force’s reputation suffers?

More likely they are just assholes who lost their temper and deserved to be fired if they are indeed stepping over a line

Do you not think policemen who “step over a line” should go to prison rather than simply fired?

cops who step over that line make all of our lives hard. And yes, I'm aware of the recent video from Arkansas, from what I saw, that seems to be excessive force. However there is usually more to the story, IE what happened before this was filmed.

What do you imagine happened before the filming started that would justify the use of excessive force? By which I mean when do you think “excessive” force is ever justified?

Disclaimer: If you reply to any of my posts with absurd hypothetical scenarios, lame "gotchas," or speculating that I don't really believe what I am saying, I'm not gonna bother my hole replying. Thanks.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

#bekind

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 55,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gremlinertia

From what i can gather (i claim no vast knowledge here so forgive me if i get something arse over tit) there is massive variation in law, in training, in numbers per capita and even between cities with regard to a kind of average standard.. These differences, even from county to county must get confusing at times, do things get lost in translation or in department paperwork? For instance if a wanted person relocates to another state? Or somebody (say a doctor) has their license to practice struck out in one state, can they blag their way back into practice elsewhere?

Sorry for the wandering query, thanks for another AMA

Are you actually saying that the DA is fabricating excessive force accusations against “cops” you work with? For what end, exactly? I think it’s more likely that that the police are actually going under scrutiny for abusing their power that they have been getting away with for years.

No the DA is not fabricating anything, this is life, not a movie. These are cases that happened some years back, were investigated, officers were cleared of wrong doing by Internal Affairs, the Police Board and the previous DA. These cases were re-opened, not because of new evidence, new accusations etc, but because the DA "was not satisficed with the previous investigation" This is a dangerous slippery slope, regardless of whether it's a cop or not as any new DA could use the same logic in any criminal case. Sure, fill your boots if it was a sloppy investigation, new evidence, new facts, but this is not the case. Now there are 10 officers back under the microscope, suspended from duty while this is dragged out again.

The saying is “one bad apple spoils the bunch.” Would you agree that if there is such a significant minority of crooked bullies in the police forces in the US then the whole force’s reputation suffers?

Of course, everytime one of these idiots does something, it harms us. It fosters mistrust and reinforces an "us vs. them mentality". None of us want our job to be any harder than it is.

Do you not think policemen who “step over a line” should go to prison rather than simply fired?

It's not as simple as "lock 'em up". Just like anyone else, they have rights if accused of a crime. Those rights should be protected just like anyone else's. Employment law, different, you violate dept. policy, yes, they can be fired (and should be in my mind, but only after a fair and open investigation. Just because we're cops, doesn't mean we have less rights than anyone else.

What do you imagine happened before the filming started that would justify the use of excessive force? By which I mean when do you think “excessive” force is ever justified?

I don't know and won't speculate. One open source mentioned the encounter had been fine for a few minutes, then it went downhill. There is no lawful justification for excessive force. The law allows for words to the effect of force which is objectively reasonable under the circumstances and the minimum amount of force necessary to effect an arrest or protect the officer or other person. This is very subjective, thus very circumstance driven. Was the guy high on meth? Did he have a weapon or history of violence? Was he reaching for an officers gun? etc etc etc. Punches, strikes, blows are a permitted use of force, even to the head in some circumstances. Now if the guy was cuffed (like George Floyd), then all best are off, how do you articulate a threat? More will come from this I'm sure.

Do you think Derek Chauvin did wrong and if so do you think he deserves what's happening to him.

Sorry, this got lost in the cut/paste world. yes, Chauvin was wrong, wrong, wrong, end of. He very much got what he deserved IMHO. Chauvin has a long history of this sort of thing and had beaten it for years, so yes, IMHO he got what he deserved.

From what i can gather (i claim no vast knowledge here so forgive me if i get something arse over tit) there is massive variation in law, in training, in numbers per capita and even between cities with regard to a kind of average standard.. These differences, even from county to county must get confusing at times, do things get lost in translation or in department paperwork? For instance if a wanted person relocates to another state? Or somebody (say a doctor) has their license to practice struck out in one state, can they blag their way back into practice elsewhere?

A fundamental part of the US is local control, goes back to the foundation of the nation. The downside of this is a lot of local variations in all sorts of things. Add in politics, history etc. and we are where we are. And it's a huge country from densely packed urban areas to parts of the country with a population density of less than one person/square mile. So lots of unique & different ways of life, settings, etc. The federal govt has no inherent right to set LE standards of any kind for other than the feds. So, LE is generally regulated by each state as far as standards & education. Beyond that, each agency defines its own requirements, policies and so on. In many ways it's a bit silly, in my county alone (pop 1.25 million) there are 35 different, non state or federal LE agencies each answerable to their own entity. We vary from a large PD of 3500 to one agency of 9 two of whom are part time. It causes no end of confusion, but it won't change as America was built that way constitutionally.

As for wanted, etc. once they are entered in the national database, then any agency can find them in seconds. Wanted, criminal & driving records are all linked nationally. Where it gets messy is if I'm working a case on a suspect and so is the agency up the road, I have no way of knowing they are a suspect in that case (outside some unique data bases not everyone has access to).

Could one blag there way in another state, most likely not. States are getting better about sharing data, and any employer in most professions would find that out very quickly by running a check with the previous agency regulation that profession, including cops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 55,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gremlinertia

In many ways it's a bit silly, in my county alone (pop 1.25 million) there are 35 different, non state or federal LE agencies each answerable to their own entity.

Holy crap, this was sort of next on my list to ask, how on earth can someone like yourself even know all these entities, that they are for real and legal? Cannot believe that is just one county.. I'm aware of bailiffs and bondsmen, bounty hunters then say transit police etc, but 35?? I'll have to broaden my knowledege on just your state before i ask more stupid questions

Yeah that was my vague idea that the whole thing was very fragmented, even as an observer I think it must be massively frustrating to say the least.

So transit don't communicate with patrol as an example? That's why I wonder how anything gets done!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭ xieann

Do many New Yorkers share the same sentiment as Louis Rossmann?

https://youtu.be/v5izPI2BMWg

• Advertisement
Advertisement