Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭thebourke

that croatia song was pure rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭squonk

We sent this in 1989 and cane 3rd last. 18th. It hasn’t aged well. I remember it sounding good at the time but time hasn’t been kind. It’s still a better performance than Wild Youth though…

• Registered Users Posts: 72,151 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

I don't know why everyone thinks the UK would've won last year (I know they came 2nd). If the Ukraine public voting is distributed amongst the contenders (had there been no war) in a similar manner to the rest of the public votes, Spain wins handy enough.

Then we could all have basked in SloMo again.

Spain got 10 points off 5 countries, UK only got 1 10 pointer so even just upgrading those to 12, Spain would already be in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

And if Spain did win - it would have been well deserved. I switched on the television just when Spain started and I said "That's it, just give them the trophy right now, I don't need to see any more"

• Advertisement

Absolutely fantastic! Never remembered that from last year but it’s hard to comprehend Sam Ryder coming second over that!

The RTÉ Eurovision team need to be locked in a room for a few days and shown acts like that over and over. That’s the level we need to be at. Song wise and in terms of performance. Spain didn’t sing in English but the performance and the catchy song nailed it anyway.

We’re fielding a schoolboy team to take on the All-Blacks at this stage.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

I locked myself in my room for a few days watching that act over and over too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Kellie Lewis who was a runner up on The Voice a few years ago was one of our Juriors. She had a new single on The Late Late Show a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

All of Ireland's Eurovision submissions up to 2022

Some daycent stuff for the times

Some toe curling shite regardless of the times!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I saw this from Lord of the Lost today, not as much death growls and more of a cheesy eighties sound, probably a better choice in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Might be better to drop it and give it to TG4?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That’s the route I think we should go… Traditional Irish, and even in Irish! But try and build a whole performance around it…

if we’re gonna go down, at least go down with our heads held high, and promoting our country/culture.

Give TG4 the full budget, let them provide the song/act, and RTÉ still get to go on their jolly to Sweden next year…

and who knows, it might end up being just a guy with a guitar, or a full on trad session…. But at least it’ll be authentically Irish. Play to our strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks for that recap, really enjoyed it.

I didn't know we sent Jeward twice and Nicky Byrne ha ha crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Play to our stereotype is what we need to do. Give them what they think being Irish is.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Yeah, Tattoo is definitely a flop, no-one wants to listen to it...

Really enjoyed the build up this year and the show itself. Was always an enthusiastic fan but think the ante was upped this year.

Read up on the Austrian song. Turns out the 0.0003 they were on about was how much artists make from a Spotify stream so the song was making a bit of a controversial point. I like those ladies even more now. Shane they had such a poor showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Reading that the draw for the final now is you are drawn in the first half or the second half of the final and then the producers pick what number you get in the half you are drawn in!

Absolute joke as it should be like it was before when no matter who you were that you were drawn a number and that's it.

Maybe this is going on years but it is another thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth!

• Advertisement

Inject the 1st 2 minutes of this flag parade into my veins please…

Hey Boy Hey Girl is just an epic tune, and straight into Shum….. Absolutely awesome (and the extra clap they added to it)

Excellent, and this is why I wish we qualified for more finals…… how feckin deadly would it have been to see an Irish flag coming out here…?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If the 1966 Dikie Rock song "Come back to stay" was in it this year Ireland would now have 8 wins.

It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting Tweet with the Irish chart positions of our Eurovision entry.

Jedward the only one to really chart.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

I'm guilty of it myself, but the backlash against Sweden is a bit OTT - sure Finland won the popular vote but Sweden still got a hell of a lot of public votes too, so it was a very popular song nonetheless - still think she kind of ruined it - she came across as fairly ignorant in almost all of her interviews - she seemed completely baked off her bin in her 'mediative' state!

On the jury though, despite the clamouring that they rigged it for Sweden, I actually think it functioned very well - my two favourites that have left an impression a few days on are Australia and Estonia - these scored very well (rightly) by the jurors but were absolutely abysmal in the popular vote. As much craic as the Finland song was live on the night, it's actually pretty crap when you listen back to it - great live number (and I suspect an apres ski hit for Winter 23/24!) but a great song? Give me the Sweden one anyday really. Without the juror vote, we may as well hand it over to who have the most tiktok likes as that's what will dominate in future, i.e. pure and simple ear worm type trash that distills well into 15 second clips (if we're not already there 😖!

Estonia my favourite though, gets better on each listen!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Disagree entirely about Finland, think it's a class song and much better overall than Loreen. I've been listening to Cha Cha Cha since it came out back in January and think it's miles ahead of Tattoo. I still like Tattoo though, and it was my clear second favourite overall, but thought Finland was the best by far.

Yeah I think if we listened to each song every day for a month our opinions of what was good and bad would change and a few would come out of tge pack into the top 10 while others would do the opposite. Really though the choice is made by what’s heard on the night for many and for those of us more inckined, it’s after a few listens of each song by the time the night arrives. So really I thought Finland was catchy with a good stage show. Loreen was ok but mostly disappointing. I like Austria more the more I hear it. Australia initially blew me away and it’s a good song but loses its wow factor with listens. If I’d say anything about Loreen, it was the safe middle ground. I still don’t think it was worthy of the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Whatever bout which of the top 2 were better which I thought was Finland by the way,Loreens vocal was awful!She was basically shouting instead of singing.

Post edited by ConcertKing on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

cha cha cha is good for 2 minutes and terrible for one

2 minutes of finnish rap and then I dunno what youd call the last section

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The last minute is my favourite 😁

Cha Cha Cha is such a cracking song, and one I'll be listening to for years to come.

• Advertisement

Not arguing about Ireland's position but the Sweden win was odd. It was as if almost all the juries had got together to give them a 12 or at least 10? Did this type of landslide happen before when the public vote was so different?

Advertisement