Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Tripper to Kilkenny

Options
  • 24-08-2022 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

I have never been to Kilkenny before and took a day trip there recently. Saw the castle. Got a tour there. Enjoyable. Very good staff. Lots of activity around the place.

But the little train ride around the place was very poor fare indeed. There was not much to see really. We were last on and he said to pay afterwards. He could not take card payment only cash and then had no ready change from a twenty Euro note.

Has anyone been on that train and what were your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

There's no real need for it, and it's just a gimmick to snare a few bob from tourists with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Took a ride on it during a trip to KK with children last year, the recorded commentary was boring and way too loud if you were sitting near the speakers. Kids had their fingers in their ears! We would have preferred no commentary and just enjoy the views along the way. Some of the route is through areas that aren't very attractive. Overpriced and underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes I agree. The tower was pretty useless. You could not really see it at all. Too close to buildings to see anything of them. You couldn't see out of the bus properly. Quite a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Which train was it was there anything said to the driver when the journey ended. As regards 2021 journey on the train they were parked up cillian hill all season.

Did ye do the medievel mile, rothe house, or things of interest around kilkenny like st canices cathedral.

• Advertisement

It was set up by a local man who lost his job with the down turn then some other crowd came in opposition to him .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There are loads of things to see here, castle, medieval mile, rothe House, black Abbey, both cathedrals, Butler Gallery, Butler house gardens, Newpark zoo, national reptile zoo, walking Tours, bike tours, boat tours, hurling tours, national craft and design gallery, Smithwick's

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I have brought most of my nephews / nieces on the train. They love it! I think the experience itself is the fun part. But admittedly Kilkenny is best experienced on foot. It is a very small 'city' and some of the more interesting elements are down narrow roads/paths/steps etc.

I wouldn't let the train dominate your impression of Kilkenny. It is great for a day trip imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Kilkenny is a nice town with plenty on offer but

Best travelled on foot. Everything is within

walking distance. The train ride is only a novelty

For the young children.

Advertisement