Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbus A380 experience

Options
  • 22-08-2022 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody here ever flown in one?

planning a trip to Australia in 2023 and can either fly with Emirates in a 777 then A380 or with Qatar in a 787 then 777.. Qatar is coming in a a little cheaper but not significant.

is it worth paying a bit extra to get the A380?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

I've only flown the A380 short haul with BA last year but I thought the comfort was unrivalled (I've since flown on an A359 and an A333 and they're not as good but still great). I'd imagine the Emirates experience is great even in economy. Hard to beat landing at your final destination in an A380!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If you're flying in economy, then I'd definitely go for the A380 – the improved seat width is worth it on the 14 hour flight from the Middle East to Australia.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Don't know about economy class but biz was amazing. Flew to NZ from Dubai on one and landing I felt like I was ready to go straight away after a 17hour flight. They'll not be around for a lot longer so maybe do it just for the experience before they're all gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I flew to New Zealand with Emirates in 2019, 777 to Dubai and A380 to Christchurch with a brief stop in Sydney. I'm a fairly nervous flyer but on the A380 you hardly knew you'd taken off, and it was very stable and quiet during flight. I'd say do it while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

As above. I flew from Heathrow to Sydney with Qantas about ten years ago, economy on the A380 going out and business on an Emirates A380 coming home.

Economy on the Qantas flight was excellent, very quiet flight and the seat was very comfortable if a little on the firm side. Well worth paying a bit extra for the pleasure.

My return flight was on the Emirates A380 (upper deck) and it was a whole new experience for me, not being used to travelling in such opulence!

I arrived in Heathrow very relaxed and refreshed. (I wasn't paying for the return flight by the way!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

All things equal the difference is only €30 but with Qatar you can take a 25 kg luggage allowance for bout a €50 saving but this is a once off trip.

How did you guys find Dubai international? Some say it’s a nightmare but I think I’d like to see it? As long as I have plenty of time it wouldn’t phase me too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

A380 is very quiet and very smooth in turbulence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

We did the first option there to Brisbane in 2018. I don't like flying, but that 380 is superb. You don't feel any sensation of turning on approach. I'd pay the bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I found the transfer experience a bit messy to be honest, with more security checks than I thought were necessary, but it all went smoothly enough. On the way back our landing in Sydney was delayed because of lightning storms (!) and took off late too so missed our onward connection to Dublin but it was all handled perfectly by the flight attendants and ground staff. The airport itself was OK, lots of flashy duty free shops that aren't necessarily that cheap, so be careful and don't get carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Christmas 2019 flew Emirates 777 and A380 biz return to Melbourne. Nothing wrong with 777, but A380 more comfortable...slept very well. I liked the bar, wife wasn't bothered.

On outward leg had time to use lounge and grab a shower- not enough time on return for shower was too busy.

Emirates still offer free Chauffeur Drive? Fantastic service- though there is a limit ( think it was 50 or 60km)

I've never flown Qatar business, but have connected in Doha twice...I prefer DXB, but maybe because I'm very familiar with it.

My Aussie relatives have used Etihad Business a few times, as can have more reasonable rates, and found it just a little below Emirates...been a while since I used them ( in economy) but I believe airport has improved. Might be worth pricing?

• Advertisement

Etihad don’t fly to Perth so they are not on my list.

I can’t justify business to myself, its 3x the cost of Economy. I’d rather put the money ti some nice hotels when I get there. Would like to have time to get a decent meal in Dubai if that’s

Dubai Airport is fine to connect in.

When I went back and forth to Singapore all the time – before I got status – my go-to was McGettigan's, an Irish pub that did a very nice bangers & mash :)

I've also eaten in the terminal Hard Rock Cafe.

I’d have a 2 hour layover in Dubai. Would that be enough time to get a meal?

Not fussed about shopping, the Duty Free in Dublin is pretty good so would get wht I want there most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

A380 definitely worth it. Amazingly quiet and comfortable. you almost feel like you're in a room not on a plane. HAven't done Dubai transfer recently but used Doha just pre covid and it was fine. Rather cavernous, with a lot of walking but easy to navigate.

Some of the Qatar 777 are 10 abreast and can be quite squeezed.

EK has the same problem with the 777s.

I often finished my time in Singapore with a weekend somewhere in Europe so I could take the A380 most of the way home and have less jet lag to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I found Economy on the A380 to be more like premium economy on other carriers, the seat is much bigger and more comfortable. On that 14 odd hour leg you will really appreciate it so if its a small difference in price I'd go for that. I find DXB fine for connecting too, one of the better mega airports for that in my experience.

The 777 economy seat is fine in of itself space wise but the armrests are tiny and you share it with whoever is beside you, so whoever falls asleep on it first keeps it! The aisles are also very small.

If you are flying J then upstairs on the 380 is class, there's a bar at the back with seating.

I did read ages ago that EK were going 11 abreast downstairs on the A380 in economy though, not sure if that happened in the end. If you are booking economy, try and get the economy section at the front of the upper deck, that's 8 across like an A330 but the seats are bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭kernkraft500

I've done middle east to Europe and US to Europe in economy on an A380.... would pick it anyday over anything else if I had the choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

Done a bit of long haul on A380 over the years, all in economy! But the thing that I loved and nobody talked about was the feeling of space downstairs on the A380 since there is no real curvature at that point in the side of the fuselage. The headspace in the window seat is noticeably more than in a single decker aircraft.

80A and 80K are great seats on Qantas - think Emirates have equivalent window seats with no seat in front in their layout IIRC.

Travelling on my own long haul I’m not sure a window seat would be the best idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd always take a window seat on long haul. I like the little bit of extra privacy plus the view out if it's daytime.

People differ I suppose. Others might have different preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Depends on how ofen you need the loo/to stretch. I prefer the window as I don't usually get up often and don't want to have to get up for others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

You should probably be able to get the A380 with Qatar too. I did Dublin-Doha-Sydney in the last few weeks and had the A380 both ways on the Doha-Sydney leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

I flew on an Air France A380 from Tokyo to Paris a number of years ago. I was seated downstairs in the back just behind the wing, economy, window seat.

It was pretty standard airline experience. Nothing special other than the sheer size of the plane was something to behold. When you're inside walking up the stairs was a strange feeling. But it's not as amazing as everyone makes it out to be.

I still maintain the A330 is one of the most comfortable planes for a passenger. And the ATR42/72 is more comfortable than any 777 I've ever flown on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Try a different date, I think they possibly alternate every 2nd day.

Edit: QR908 was my flight code

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've flown on many, mostly in premium economy, or economy and honestly its no different than any other aircraft.

I flew from Sydney to Shanghai, across the famous turbulent air of Indonesia and it was just as bumpy in spells as a on a twinjet.

Yes the economy legroom is generally a tad better, but the seats are no wider and yes the bathrooms are more plentiful, but no bigger.

Really a passenger experience comes down to how the airline specs their aircraft and how that translates to comfort rather than the size of the plane. And the food and beverages of course.

I've flown Paris to Singapore a good few times on both Air France/KLM and Singapore Airlines, both using triples, and I'd choose SA every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

So no, if it means costing you more money just to travel on an A380, don't bother your barny. In fact, the sheer length of time it takes to embark and disembark 400-500 passengers on the things, even with twin jetways, is reason enough to choose literally any other option.

Ah that’s to Sydney, may potentially add on a few days in Sydney and come home that way. But to Perth they use a 777-300

Problem with Singapore Airlines if you have to make 2 stops going to Australia instead of just one through the Middle East

I can't speak for all airlines, but for EK at least the A380 seats are noticeably wider than those on their other long haul aircraft, not least the 777s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

I can’t help but imagine that anyone gushing of its comfort / landing / quietness / fantastic experience are the type of travellers that would accept the glass of champagne.

Advertisement