Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenant Overloading

Options
  • 20-08-2022 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi . Looking for some advice , please . We bought a house in Oct 2021 with a tenant living there , firstly we bought this house as it was the only thing we could afford and because there was a tenant it turned others bidding on it as we were out bidded on every house we looked at .

The tenant seemed a nice girl with 3 kids and eager to move, receiving Hap payment , we knew from day one that her partner was living there even though he is not supposed to be but ignored , gave her the proper eviction time etc and we never bothered her as took her at her word she would be gone. Unfortunately on the day we were to get the key from her she text to say postponing the move as the emergency accommodation she was provided with was too far , to say we were devastated is an under statement .

I called to the house and pleaded with her. Myself , husband and 2 daughters are living in 1 bedroom since February in a relatives home.

I am wondering if I should I tell her that i will report her as her partner is self employed and they are not badly off and have family in the area also, I am finding it hard to sit back and do nothing .

I know its a rotten thing to do but the way I look at it now is that what she has done to my family is rotten also. has anyone any tips or experience in this , I've lodged my dispute with the RTB and my solicitor said I can't do anything until then but I can't wait months for this , Heartbroken. Very unfair system , to do everything thing right legally and its doesn't matter.

😔

Post edited by The_Conductor on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

It's probably best just to go with the rtb and solicitor. Looks like you got caught out but also the tenant may be caught out too as there is so little available rentals.

It's sounds really upsetting for you but not sure the benefit of souring the relationship further.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's sh*t for the tenant but that's just the reality of the market at present. The house I was renting for the past 9 years was sold earlier this summer and I'm now back at home at 40 years of age because I couldn't find anything else. Would never have dreamed of overholding, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Reporting her won't help you. She would find it more difficult to move without HAP. The system is unfair and, in reality, you would have been well advised not to buy that property with a sitting tenant.

Your best bet may be to pay her to move out. Legislation has swung too far in favour of the tenant. If she decides to stay put, and even not pay rent, you could be looking at legal bills and a delay of years. Then thrash the house before she moves out.

This isn't what you want to hear but it is the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clarionclub

Ya i agree s.. for tenant too but she was offered accommodation by the council and refused it , I didn't have that privilege and saved and borrowed while she and her partner both work and yet expect a property from the council where they want it ! I was also in rental and and like yourself had the decency to move when asked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

"a nice girl with 3 kids"

She may not have the option to move back in with her parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That may be the case, but it's not the OP's problem. Especially when her own family of four is stuck living in one room in someone else's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you do a cash-for-keys deal (which might be the only way to resolve this quickly), make certain you don't give them a penny until you have the "keys", and by that I mean the tenant, their partner, their kids, and every scrap of their belongings are completely removed from the property before you hand over any money. And once you do pay them, make certain you or someone else you trust is physically present in the house at all times until you've changed the locks, and do not let your former tenant or her family back in for any reason, not even to "get something they forgot". If you hand them the cash and then leave the place empty for a day or two while you're arranging to have the locks changed, you might come back to find they've let themselves back in with a copy of your key and have taken up residence again, and the guards won't help you because they'll just claim to be your tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

Raise a case for overholding, don’t report them to social welfare as you run the risk of HaP payments to you stopping.

then as above hope they continue to pay rent and offer them money to leave

Sadly, I've seen a fair bit of bit of this over the years & advise NEVER purchase with a 'sitting' tenant..... as a general rule it always goes this way.....which begs the question of why didn't prior owner cross the t's & dot the i's? Anyhow, hindsight is zero use to the OP. Being Frank, the tenant now holds the 'aces' & there's v little solace for the new owner ..... who I assume is NOT receiving any €€ / rent ( this'll sound odd but OP is better off NOT taking rent). OP is certainly entitled to attempt the 'cash for keys' route but as other posters said this can be a bit of quicksand for the OP....... it often ends up as a "good money after bad" scenario. It's a horrible situation for OP who has done nothing wrong, jumped through all the hoops, laid their €€ down & ends up with nothing but hassle/ grief. The RTB/ legal route is a 'slow' burner while the 'nice girl with 3 kids' is on the pigs back. I've been a landlord for over 2 decades ( fortunately, 99% of tenants are/were decent good people.....ne're an issue) & this is exactly the carry-on that has landlords fleeing the market in droves. Recourse for the 'LL that gets clipped is non existent

Hi, Yes i agree I will not be offering her cash , The both have new cars and more money than me. I am still receiving Hap payment and I have told hap that i would prefer also to stop the payment but the said I would be biting off my nose to spite my face but wondering if I did could I did this could I order her to pay the rent then ?The council are not willing to help this girl any further anyway as she has refused accommodation and they have nothing else to offer her , that's why I am thinking of reporting her as the council have washed their hands of her anyway and I have nothing to lose. Oh 😢I don't know what to do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

could I order her to pay the rent then ?

You have none of the cards here and cannot order her to do anything.

You need to start the official process which probably means declining rent payments and having the paperwork done carefully and double checked as otherwise she'll be there even longer

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

That's a bad situation, i hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We need a system like in the UK, when you don't pay a cent over a couple of months your landlord takes you to court, ruling made, bailiffs arrive and turf freeloader out on their hole there and then with an hour to pack up belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

It might work a few times.. but eventually your house will be burned to the ground or ruined. Lets be honest if a certain ethnic group were renting and got evicted then good luck minding your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Do not pay them cash to leave. Unfortunately your only option is to notify the overholding with the PRTB which may take months. Agreed it’s a horrible situation to be in and most unfair. From this point on every communication with the tenant needs to be through writing so you have a record

Also I would be very slow to report her to social welfare right now

This notion about " reporting to SW" is all nonsense.....its a stupid road to do down. 2reasons........ A) what do you think SW will do??? Just say they investigate ( a big "IF") & find Mr. A is residing there...... tenant will use the tried& tested answers ( he IS the children's father/ oh, he's a mate just staying for a few days / hes my new boyfriend- only met him in a pub last week........... there's loads but you get the 'gist???). So, let's just say they DO FIND MR A is living there.....whats next????don't be naieve enough to talk about 'eviction'.....that won't happen.....Council don't have alternate property....... not to mention tenant going on the 'Joe Duffy' show with tales of harressment, kid has special needs, why are we bringing in so many Ukrainians etc.etc. it won't help the OP whatsoever.

B...... imagine the state of the property when she/ they eventually move on.

-----------------------------------

As advised previously.....THREAD VERY CAREFULLY if considering going down the 'cash for keys' route...... beware the " he touched my breast" angle ( I.e. the €€€ was a pay off & there WON'T be paperwork/ receipt,,,, in effect you could be BUYING even more hassle / problems). Also, this may ( for several thousand euro) get keys but what kind of condition will property be in on opening the door??

Hi , thanks to all who commented and gave advice on my tenant overloading my family home . I also would like to know can I put up a cctv camera on my house and have it facing the drive , which faces a public road . Would this be legal as I know her partner lives there which she denies ! I just want to to make things awkward and uncomfortable as I need to move into MY HOME with my family . I am clutching at straws here , i know . Just trying to shame her out of my home , its a small village and think she would be embarrassed if she thought people knew what she was doing to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Your tenant is overHOLDING 😉

You can't access the property in any way without agreement from the tenant unless there's an emergency and the tenant is entitled to privacy so no no no to the camera idea.

You need to do this legally, yes it's frustrating but trying to "shame her out" is disgusting. It's your HOUSE but it's her HOME. I'm not on her side but you really need to take emotion out of this. You made the mistake of buying a tenanted property and have to go through the proper processes to remove that tenant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are entitled to peaceful use of their home. Why do you think you can stick up security cameras? You have pretty much no right to do this. You bought a rental property despite all advice you were surely given. You now have tenants who are following the system.

Would you just stop trying to punish them in your own petty ways and follow the legal route as it is the only way. Putting up cameras is quite likely to land you in trouble. Doing anything to frustrate the tenant is likely to delay any eviction process and may result in a fine.

In short, you bought a business. Now grow up and start treating it like a business.

Just trying to shame her out of my home

It is not your home and never has been. If you follow the proper legal route then someday it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭notAMember

What an awful situation. You can add cctv, but be careful of harassing this person. I know it’s not fair but you have to follow the process.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation, it took him over a year to get the family to move out, but he did it by keeping communication open, being honest about his own situation with his family, not threatening, not harassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭spakman

Well if you want to look at it that way, the OP owns the HOUSE but is HOMEless!

The tenant is the one behaving in a disgusting manner, the OP is trying to LIVE in her HOUSE.

I did go through the proper process, she was given 192 days notice..she was offered accommodation by the council and refused it ! Bought this property because was all i could afford , this girl is earning more money than me but difference between her and me is I didn't choose to want everything for nothing . Hard to take emotion out of this when my family and I have been living in 1 bedroom since Feb and even harder watching my kids upset and trying to hide things from them. And i disagree its not her home it mine !! our name on the deeds not hers

Again followed the proper legal route but that seems to mean nothing yet these tenants can make the law and get away with , how can this be right . Its not her home , she is living in it illegally and is a criminal , got her 192 days notice , offered a house from the council but to far for her was the excuse and refused it , not good enough for me , I moved too far also but had to as it was the only thing i could afford , don't have the privilege like her to be handed a house free . i'm not petty .

Don't even CONSIDER/ THINK along these lines........cameras will be sprayed/vandelized in first 24hrs anyhow. OP, I totally appreciate this is a nightmare situation on your behalf......... but like I said before.....this is Ireland......the " nice girl with 3 kids" is holding the 'aces' ( as disgusting, frustrating & morally wrong as that may be). You're desperately looking for an angle........believe me, it's all been tried before....... only door open to you is the RTB / legal route

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

She's still there so the proper processes have not been exhausted.

You've never lived in that house so it's your house, as you said, your names are on the deeds... Of the house. It's still her home. Wrongly, and frustratingly but really.

Have you talked to local TDs? The local papers? There's more than one way to get the spotlight on your tenant.

OP.....FORGET about the whole " her partner/ bf is living there".....thats a total 'red herring'........ you seem to place some value on that information........it HAS NO value

Can i get td's and local paper involved ? This is the type of info I was looking for , and not to be judged for buying a property with a tenant , thank you,this girl was given a house as i said but decided on day were to get the keys from her sent me a text message to say she was not going to take it.

Its the only thing i thought i could have value on as she is claiming hap but both are working but i know your right 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

All Robert Troy, he’s an expert in this area.

Joking aside, having been in a similar (but not identical) situation I’d ignore any advice on this thread except that which is legal, as difficult as that sounds. Engage a solicitor and start the RTB eviction process and complaints tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement