Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a hair transplant?

Options
  • 19-08-2022 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

As per title.

There was a time when any sort of attempt to cover up baldness (e.g. Elton John etc.) was a huge taboo. But maybe now, hair transplants are reaching some sort of social acceptance? 

I'm mid 30s, and since showing the first signs of premature baldness at 16 l, I've finally lost enough hair that anything other than a blade 1 looks tragic. So the decision is, do I resign to going full blown baldy for the rest of my days, or go the transplant route? 

Funnily enough, I've never really been proud of my hair - ginger with a high forehead has never been in fashion! But equally I really don't think I'd suit a buzz cut. Really the only thing stopping me is society, work etc. and what would be said behind my back. I'm married with kids, so meeting someone isn't a concern, but at the some time, I have this feeling that hair=confidence as I grow older, and who doesn't want more confidence! 

So, any opinions or experiences? From what I gather, the cost is about €10k, which isnt cheap but isn't a life changing sum of money either.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Will the transplant help you?

Will it make you feel better about yourself?

Will it make you happy?

If the answers to the above wow yes, feck it, go ahead. Enjoy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I would think the most important thing is ....will it work.

Dont know what age you are now, but if you are receeding since 16, do you have enough hair left to make a visible difference that you will feel happy with.

Agree with above, if any value in it for you, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you want to get it done just get it done. Just make sure it's from reputable place.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to care to much what others think or say. Your hair transplant will be big for a week and then they'll move on from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,646 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it's a case of, if you want to get it done, expect to wait years to actually have a top surgeon do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

A lad I worked with had it done via the HSE, because he'd lost a certain percentage of coverage by a relatively young age. Kept it quiet until it was actually done, and then it was open for discussion in the office.

I don't think there was any sense of stigma once the cat was out of the bag, he stopped trying to hide it at all. You wouldn't think he had a full luscious 80s mullet head of hair or anything, but it did make a big difference to his hairline.

Above all though, as you suggest, it made a massive boost to his confidence, he was visibly happier in himself after it was done. I'd never begrudge anybody that. I really don't think it has the stigma it used to, and of all people I think Wayne Rooney had a lot to do with that (and fair play to him)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 andrew32

If you can afford, you should.

This can be very expensive, but I prefer.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I know someone who got it. Its not as expensive as you quoted. The person I know got it for 3500 a couple of years ago. But they were only having it done in one spot. If you are realistic and want it go for it.

TBH it wasn't that noticeable. People won't see and it was just a bit awkward to wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sounds like the blade 1 option isn't something you want so if you can afford it getting a transplant might be the better option.

I started noticing a bald spot coming in my early 30s but it wasn't until a few years ago that it really started to go so just shaved it off.

The first time I did it I was a bit self consious going out in public but the reality is nobody passes a bit of notice and its a common look for men my age these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Firstly, it is worth getting your bloods checked to ensure that there are no deficiencies identified that could be speeding up your hair loss. After that as a previous poster mentioned, look at treatments to slow down further hair loss, minoxidil and finasteride are the only 2 medical options recommended by Dr's but with finasteride in particular you will need to discuss with your own Dr.

I always say you want to keep what you have (by using the medications) and get a transplant to replace some of what you have lost (hair transplant). Worth noting though if you have a transplant, most reputable clinics will recommend continued use of medications otherwise you may continue to lose your native hair and in time, be simply left with the transplanted har which may appear odd.

Do lots of research to find the clinic / surgeon that you are happy with and ask lots of questions. Remember you only have a limited amount of grafts available for a hair transplant so you don't want to just go to the cheapest place.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get some rabbit tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you want to get it done go for it, personally I have always had short hair and started to go bald young so have had it shaved most of my adult life, never had any confidence issues but everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

Did you get it done or still thinking about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Always thought bald looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I've several mates that have had it done in Turkey over the last year. All at the same clinic. For some it worked great and for other's not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Some of the transplants look as unnatural as wigs- as you've been receding since your teens, I'm assuming now you're pretty baldish and keeping it short and neat?

No-one is talking behind your back btw, and if they are, they're assholes so fk-em. If you're quite far gone, you're probably best embracing the bald and living with it- a few tufts on top now, appearing over several months, will likely draw more attention to yourself and you'll still be classed as "bald" anyway.

If you're unhappy, get it done but if you're not, then seriously, a lot better things to spend 10K on- and I wouldn't get it done in Turkey either, which is where your 10k price is coming from- there were something like 274 medical issues referred to the Irish consulate last year relating to Turkish medical procedures- so that would be things like teeth, tummy tucks, gastro bands etc- that should tell you all you need to know about Turkish medicine.

The cost in Ireland for a decent fit of hair will be more like 30K

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have a good head of hair but if I didn't I would shave it off, no one passes any notice of a man with a shaved head, it usually looks good on them. Cant understand why they bother with expensive transplants, wigs, comb overs etc

I know of three people who travelled to Turkey last year and none of them paid anything like €10k! The most expensive was €3.5k. It's basically a euro per plug (or whatever they're called). They're all very happy with the results though one is going for another 1000.

There are plane loads of people travelling to Turkey every single day of the week for medical procedures, 274 complaints in a year is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Some clinics in Turkey have up to 15 patients per day so have multiple technicians meaning that the results can be inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

I'm the same, balding at 16 and now only do a blade 1 to keep it tidy.

I've no problem being bald but I do hate that society has a problem with people being bald. Not a big problem by any standards but there feels that there is a problem being bald and that it's some sort of deficiency. It's a vibe I get and even kids on street corners shouting Baldly etc. I'm happy being bald though.

The UKs Prince William has all the money in the world and if he's content being bald, then so am I.

I've also been bald all my adult life but never found 'society had a problem' with it myself. It's never bothered my in the least but I know plenty of men who are terrified by the idea of losing their hair. I (dry) shave it clean every day with one of these. Baldness suits some men more than others though. It's a big turn off for some ladies but others seem to dig it big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv done well no greys & very dark brown hair but turning 40 now & its starting to receded easy to hide when i brush my hair & put some product in it but in the morning or after a swim/ sweaty workout its obvious that battle will soon be lost ,

Iv accepted that i will shave it all off sometime in the next 5 years & will grow my beard out (small one now) for a whole new look , Once the wife is happy with it then happy days ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is that handier than just using a regular razor and shaving cream?

i think what people struggle with is going from having some hair (even if its a patch up job) to going to a buzz cut in their 40s, because ive had mine shaved since i was 25 or so everyone says its fine for you it suits you, it only suits me because thats what every one is used to!

is that handier than just using a regular razor and shaving cream?

Yes, takes about 90 seconds, no need for water or cream. I think they're great. Plus I get pimples if I use a razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Good example of a bad transplant - the "hair plugs" route Jimmy White got done and ended up with a "pineapple" 'do

That's not a transplant, it's a wig. He had a transplant about 30 years ago, it didn't work and he's been wearing a wig since. Eddie Jordan also wears a wig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Donie Cassidy.....one of the worst examples of a syrup i ever saw. He should demand a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭pgj2015

He probably never even had a head of hair as thick as this in his 20's.

Advertisement