Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can we drive on these tires?

Options
  • 19-08-2022 11:39am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I hope the photos upload. I’m in Italy, a few hours drive away from where we rented the car. We need to get back there to get to our plane tomorrow. We knew the car felt weird, kept making noises, swerving into the right. Anyway, just checked tires and they’re absolutely terrible. Rental agency saying they’re grand, drive away. We can see the threads on the inside of the two front tires. We had plans for today that I guess we’ll have to cancel (would involve an hour of driving).

Should we insist they get tires changed for us where we are or drive to the airport ? We haven’t a notion about cars. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I certainly wouldn't drive on those tyres! You are one revolution away from a blowout with those things.

Who is the rental company? They're a thundering disgrace letting a car out off the depot with tyres like that.

Find the nearest Caribinieri and they'll surely tell you to not drive the car until sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Xander10

Looks a death trap with them tyres

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It’s Welcome Cars from Alghero airport, Sardinia.

In fairness the person hadn’t seen the photos when I rang. I explained how they were and she said to come down there and they’d swap the cars. I’ve whatsapped them photos but they haven’t seen them yet. I’m hoping when they see them they’ll come rescue us. Thanks for responding! We’re here feeling a little stranded. 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

These tyres are not road worthy and could blow out or get a puncture at any stage. Car is not in a fit state to be driven. Tyre wear is an indication of a tracking/ steering / suspension problem. Local agents are fobbing you off. They should give you a replacement car for the rest of the trip. Anyone who would advise you to drive on these tyres would be liable IMO.

They’re offering a replacement, we’re just not comfortable driving to get it. I checked and we’re 41 mins from the airport, I thought it was longer. We may have no choice but to snail it there. Still waiting on them to get back to us…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Tell them to deliver the replacement car to you or you'll go to the police and show them the tyres - that is literally a death-trap they've rented you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Keep a eye on your credit card in the next few months, write down everything, record all the phone conversations. I just googled the company and they basically do every every rental scam their is.

They charge for damages on the cars that were clearly there on pickup but not "noted" on the damages sheet.

Cars are badly maintained, with the bare minimum spent on them. Your not the first to find tyres in that condition.

They charge extremely excessive prices for fuel after return.

They charge people for "tickets", for damages, for basically anything they can think of months after the rental was completed.

We only used a debit card thankfully. Unfortunately my friend used her main card that will have money on it. I tried to get her to use Revolut for these things and only have minimum in it. We paid extra for the top insurance. So they can’t charge for damage. They’re not being very useful at the moment. Said they’ll ring in 20 minutes. Keep saying they’ve no office where we are so we’ll have to drive to their office 40 mins away. I’ve said I’ll go to the police and she said she’d ring back in a while. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FDave

Not only are those tyres dangerous, but there is serious camber wear on them which suggests bent suspension components.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

OP - Those tyres look incredibly worn, incredibly old & incredibly dangerous.

I would be demanding that a replacement car be brought to you, and I'd probably park that sh1tbox outside a police station, and when the replacement car arrives, go straight into the police station and report the car, and make sure no one drives it back to home base.... (to simply be rented out again in it's current state)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭User1998

So the tyres are incredibly old, worn, and dangerous, yet you want OP to go out of their way and drive the car with those tyres to a police station? Thats incredibly stupid and incredibly impractical

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

jesus, that's unreal

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was thinking the local police station which would be no more than 1km away, but yes, you're right, it should not be driven period.

No infighting lads! You’re all being helpful. We’re not having much luck with them calling us back. I don’t know how we’re going to get around having to drive this jalopy back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Using your debit card is worse than a credit card. With a credit card they block a few grand off your credit, with a debit card they block your money.

The insurance from rental companies rarely covers tyres or glass. The fact that you didn't highlight the state of them on collection could leave you open for their replacement costs. Much better off getting your own excess insurance as they usually cover tyres and windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Don't drive it back. Its a death trap with them tyres. Just leave it where it is. Report it to the local police and get a train or a bus back to the airport.

Let the rental company take it from there. They never should have rented it out in that state in the first place. Make sure you leave a damming opinion of them online too and warn people to be very careful if they do use them but that they would be better not renting from them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Don't be afraid to send them a solicitors letter as well if needed. Definitely threaten them with one if they cause you any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Example of threadbare tires.

Literally taking your life in your hands driving with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd CC their responses to an Italian consumer organisation or tourism board, no way I'd travel on them.

Just got a WhatsApp message from them “BRING CAR BACK TOMORROW AND DO NOT EXCEED 50km/h”.

What a terrible company! Absolutely wont help us. Seems there’s no police station within an hour of us. First time deviating from my usual Spain holiday, never again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,707 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You'll end up pulled off on the side of the motorway, a blow out is only a matter of when, not if.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

FFS I wouldn't even sit in that car parked. 😂

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you get pulled then it will be you that gets fined. You may be brought to a station where they may pursue other charges that they can think of.

However, more than likely, one of the tyres will blow, probably at a moment when you are turning or putting stress on the tyres. If you crash, it will be you that pays any excess. Extending that scenario (assuming your speed is under 50km/h) you might damage another vehicle. No matter what, you are likely to have to take a financial hit.

Those tyres are in a very bad way and you don't want to find out how much is left in them!

I know! But I don’t know what else I can do when there are no police here in this town. And I have to get a flight at 3pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Is there a number for breakdown assistance? Call them, tell them you have 4 damaged tyres, can't drive the vehicle and it needs to be recovered somewhere to get 4 tyres fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,827 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can you inform them you won't be driving on those tyres, leave the car where it is and just get a taxi to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

Most certainly them tires are F**KED and are extremely dangerous.

'Rental agency saying they’re grand, drive away' - Holy **** they are not

Should we insist they get tires changed for us where we are or drive to the airport ? We haven’t a notion about cars. Thanks - Id drop the car back if you are going to have it for a good for days and insist on a change ASAP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

Personally I think it op is at 60% fault because at end of day your driver and it your responsibility to make sure car is roadworthy. Went you was picking up car and looking over it for damages how didn't you seen tyre was in bad condition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Did OP make it home alive....with all limbs?

Advertisement