Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World roaming

Options
  • 19-08-2022 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I am asking for suggestions for an Irish network to move my sim to.

I travel a lot and want to have call roaming( voice and text message) contact. This is so I can enable a call or msg for bank/social verification purposes. I don't need data roaming. Currently with 48 which isn't working. A second functionality would be to have call forwarding, as I can set up a virtual Irish number on Skype.

I thought Vodafone as I thought it might be most likely to be connectable inother countries networks.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Use WiFi calling. Eir or their budget brand Gomo are the only network who offer WiFi Calling that works for texts as well as voice and while roaming. If you have access to WiFi when abroad, your voice calls and texts will bypass the roaming networks and work directly off the Eir network, as if you were at home. Vodafone have a limited version of WiFi calling, but it doesn't support text messaging or roaming. If you are in a position to bundle your mobile with a fibre broadband bundle, you can get Sim-only from Eir for €9.99pm. Otherwise a SIM-only plan with Eir or GoMo is €14.99pm. You need to make sure that your handset supports WiFi calling (most Smartphones have supported this for years now). You also need to make sure that the model of handset has the config settings for Eir's WiFi calling servers. If you are bringing an Android phone from another network, you may need to get it flashed with the firmware for the Eir network.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Good points above regarding the WiFi calling. Also check out the Airalo app and see does that suit you. Only works if your phone accepts an E-sim but they do have a worldwide option I think.

I haven't tried it, but you may be able to combine WiFi calling using an Eir SIM with a foreign e-SIM such as Airalo. Perhaps you could use the foreign eSIM to give WiFi coverage when outside WiFi coverage? You would likely need to load the eSIM in an old phone or standalone router? Then your Eir SIM would allow you to keep your Irish number for phone calls and texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Eir Wifi Calling you'd need to be on an Eir bill pay plan no? If it's only 2FA here and there and the odd call divert then Vodafone would likely still be your best bet because they'd have fairly decent roaming partners around the world to receive texts etc and they support call forwarding on prepaid. Oddly enough Three doesn't support call forwarding on prepaid despite having some good prepaid add ons for roaming.

I've used Eir Wifi Calling in the past and while it's handy to have I didn't find it reliable enough for a number of reasons. If you're trying to avoid roaming charges for calls you'd be more likely to put the phone in Airplane mode with Eir Wifi calling turned on instead of connecting to the cellular network in the country you're in and possible incurring expensive roaming charges. This does work great if you're regularly picking up the phone and its reconnecting to the wifi network but say you've just left it on the kitchen counter , idle for hours/ days it didn't stay connected to WIFI at all times so you'd very easily miss an inbound call. Very handy for outbound but just didn't find it reliable enough for inbound when travelling. I've had the same experience using Verizon (USA) and Rogers (Canada) Wifi calling. Great for outbound usage but not all that reliable for inbound. It's like the phone goes into idle mode after a period so drops off wifi until you "wake" the phone again.

I suppose it depends how often you're expecting to use the number/ 2FA really and is it outbound or inbound (inbound expected if you're expecting 2FA messages etc)

My phone defaults to WiFi calling whenever I am in WiFi coverage, and I never miss any calls inbound or outbound. However, WiFi calling requires high quality and stable WiFi, particularly in the upstream direction - it is more demanding than the standard of WiFi required for normal web-browsing, or over-the top voice services such as WhatsApp or Skype. If your WiFi is not sufficiently stable, this may account for your poor experiences with WiFi Calling. If you have multiple WiFi zones in your home, you need to have WiFi roaming capability across all zones in order to prevent a call being dropped as you move from one zone to the other. (eg Mesh WiFi system or equivalent). Some public buildings, hotels etc do not have good enough WiFi to support WiFi calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Carriers decide whether it's Network preferred or wifi preferred when Wifi calling is enabled. I think in the past Verizon set it that it was network preferred whereas TMobile set it Wifi Calling preferred. I'm not sure what Eirs is. Bell home internet with 1.5Gbps speeds would have been more than sufficient for the Eir wifi calling requirement as would have been the Verizon Fios 500 but I'm only saying my experience across a number of carriers was if you're not using the phone for long periods of times it didn't always connect for inbound calls in an idle state. It was on home networks, not outdoor WIFI networks which would be even poorer. I get your point about needing strong wifi though

Again, all down to what the OP requires from the solution and speaking of my own experiences.

Eir's WiFi calling is set up for WiFi calling preferred. The problem with WiFi performance tends not be the headline speed near the access point - but rather the performance at the edge of the Access Point foot-print, or crossing the boundary into other access point zones if the premises doesn't have a mesh system. WiFi calling doesn't like these scenarios, even if the headline speed of the line is good. There can also be problems with WiFi congestion, particularly in apartment blocks, even though the basic connection is fast. The great thing about WiFi calling is that most home owners or tenants are in a position to fix these indoor coverage problems themselves by adding extra access points if required, whereas they are at the mercy of the network operators deciding where to put their towers in the public network.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

OP here.

Thanks for all the input. I should have kept up with the posts here! I am just catching up now.

I started the move from 48 to Eir Bill Pay (current special offer) a few days ago and just got it finalised and active this morning.

Then when I called Eir to enable WiFi calling this morning I am told that they can/will only provide WiFi calling on a phone that they have sold.

Seems a crock to me but I can not spend any more time on this as I am getting ready to travel.

I'll keep the contract for the reduced price period and move after that. Hopefully I will be able to see calls made to my number when abroad and also receive text messages as needed.

Regards

What model of phone have you got? Apple automatically update the carrier settings for WiFi calling when you change operator. Android depends on the manufacturer and model. If your Android firmware doesn't support eir WiFi calling out-of-the-box, you may need to get it flashed with the eir version of firmware. If eir have never sold this phone, then your manufacturer may not have a version of firmware with the settings in it. The safest option is to get a phone from your carrier as this will guarantee the correct settings. However, all is not lost if your manufacturer can flash the settings into the firmware.

Advertisement