Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower intelligence

• 15-08-2022 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Working in an industry for most of my career most of the people I’ve worked with have been pretty intelligent and well educated

Recently moved jobs, All great, except the majority of people I work with while are lovely and we really get on together are not very skilled in my area. They are the type of people who would’nt have been in the “Higher” classes in school. Not a problem, because many of those people are far more adept at other tasks and trades than I am. The issue is this, they seem to collectively have an opinion on what I should be doing and how I should be doing it. I’ve even shared my clearly defined tasks with them as has my Manager but they still don’t understand it. Even my Manager has avoided them because he thinks they are being ridiculous but they problem is my Manager is in a different country and doesn’t have to listen to the constant questioning that comes to me.

I’m trying not to make a big deal out of it but it’s hard because they are forming opinions based on anecdotal and entirely incorrect info. Even two or three levels up their Management chain you have the same type of poorly formed opinions.

Has anyone ever found themselves in a similar situation or have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Have you told them about the security guard and the gate issue yet? That will blow their minds.

On a serious note: there is a shocking level of incompetence out there which accounts for so many shortfalls. There is little you can about this at your level though.

Have you tried speaking really slowly to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

They have probably settled into their way of doing things over the years and have no idea that there might be another way or even a better way. Also, they may feel threatened by you. Processes, budgets, plans, communication, promotion may all be determined by this culture that has built up.

You may have to present your way of doing things on a smaller project, task with your manager supporting you ... to show your intention, follow it through, do an objective analysis of the result with supporting data etc etc etc and be really patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jacfrosty

CQTM :-) I’ve tried not to make it that obvious. But during online meetings I have tried using what I think have been really clear diagrams but it hasn’t worked as much as I hoped it would

He'd probably be better trying to incentivize them with the kinda things they like. Little treats, like scratch cards, 4 packs of Lucozade sport or whatever if they give the right answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ignorance is bliss

And you are pissing on their bliss.

My place has several people doing the same thing manually or automated but done differently on different projects.

Management seem quite happy to pay for this. Makes it look like they are smart managing a complex system when it's a simple system wrapped in a whole load of duplicated shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Please don't get me started about incompetence and ingrained thinking and systems.

I frequently deal with people who, unlike myself, have third level education and years of experience in their area of employment. Yet I feel I'm providing the answers and double checking their work.

It's just another troll thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Tell them to take it up with your manager.

Unless of course their way is better.

Advertisement