Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small run around recommendation thoughts

Options
  • 15-08-2022 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi we need a second family car to suit the following:

Mileage < 6000km per year

budget < 8k

Mainly city/ urban driving

1l-1.4l

manual

Petrol

roomy for a tall driver + 6ft

if you had to pick or rule out some of the following what are your thoughts?

1. Mazda 2 131 70,000 km
    2. Seat Mii 141 94,000 km
    3. Toyota Yaris 131 94,000 km
    4. Opel Corsa 131 95,000km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

I've been looking around this morning and there's ads for Hyundai i20, Toyota Aygo, Kia picanto, Volkswagen up.

Any help in narrowing down the search list would be of great help.

First time buyer of a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would rule out all of those and get a nissan leaf or renault zoe

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At over 6ft you would certainly want to make sure you can fit in any of those cars comfortably. That will probably narrow your choice further.

Electric?

in the next 2-3 years when the main family car will be replaced I would be looking at electric options.

For now we are looking at 2012-2014 models for days when a second car is required.

yes. Thats difficult to know which has the optimal legroom without viewing them all

It will be for journeys of <25km some days, where there's a need to work in the office, not at home.

No long journeys where being taller would get very uncomfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

For 6000km per year or less you'd be far better off spending less than €8k. Something like this would do you for the usage you've described and you'll have about €4k left to go on a family holiday instead. That's even after a bit of panel beating and painting on the ding in the rear quarter panel.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-2012/31611085

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

We have driven a few options over the last 2 days.

Anyone have any thought on a Volkswagen up? There's a preference for that at the moment

Small enough for city driving but still peppy enough for the odd non city spin.

2014 1 litre, 75hp midrange model & a high line one too

Would anyone have a concern that the VW UP is being discontinued.

Would that prove problematic down the line?

Also have the option to view 2013 Fiesta 1.2 zetec, 60hp (low?)

2012 Hyundai i20 1.2 85hp- clock is in miles so must be an import

all have <100,000km

Thanks, a sports line version, could be a bit too much for our needs

Though an Aurus is an option.

Hadnt considered a FIAT. are they more reliable now than there their past reputation?

I'm Unlikely to get as far as Dublin for a viewings. South based here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe have a look at the Kia Venga, The Hyundai iX20 and maybe the Ford B-Max and Ecosport. They are taller cars so you might fit in them easier.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Check out a VW Polo, for a small car it has loads of leg room for a 6' + male & a solid comfy seat. Unlike other small cars your knees will not be wedged against the steering wheel. They are a good reilable car suitable for a long or short commute....for a few dollars more !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

We needed a runaround and went with the Skoda Citigo. 2 child seats in the back and I’m over 6ft. The only issue was that one of the child seats is rear facing and bulky and so the front passenger seat is a bit straight, but we rarely have 2 adults in the car.

Quite economical on fuel too, and great for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

I believe those Pandas are reasonably well regarded. For a runaround car like you need most cars won't give much hassle at 6k km per year of they're serviced once per year. Fiat parts are cheap anyway in the event of issues.

This car looks alright too, few quid to fix up the little scratches and dings and it would be a fine run around: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-colt/31918061

Hard to go wrong with a fiesta too: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-2012-nct-1-24/31704349

This Skoda looks good if you want something roomy: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-co-elegance-1-2-tsi-85hp-4dr/31778550. Not sure if that engine was a troublesome one or not but again witb your usage you shouldn't get much hassle with yearly servicing.

Main thing is to find something that appears to be well minded regardless of brand, and then continue to mind it. You'll have little hassle then at the milage you're running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

I think Seat Mii tends to be a bit higher spec and sportier than a VW Up or Skoda Citigo. They are actually a very good car if you can get a high spec 5 door model. Lots of automatic ones out there too but the auto gearbox feels weird in them

Advertisement