Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Family Car suggestions

Options
  • 15-08-2022 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice on what new car I should get.

I currently have a 2013 BMW 3 series Diesel. A great car that has served me well the last 6 years but need something a little bigger especially in the boot for an expanding family. We currently have a toddler and are planning to have another one or two in the next few years.

I have a 20 minute commute to work and most other journeys I take would be under 30 mins. Approx 12k KMs a year driving.

Cars I have on my shortlist are the Toyota RAV 4, Skoda Enyaq, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage but am open to other suggestions. Unsure about whether to go hybrid, PHEV or full electric so open to opinions here. Budget is around 40-45k.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your not going to buy an Enyaq for 45k. Cheapest one for sale is around 54k and generally they are in short supply and there are long lead times for many new cars now especially EVs. Not sure what your EV SUV options are for 40k to 45k. Even a 1 year old VW ID.4 your looking at high 40k or 50k for one.

Whether to go hybrid, PHEV or EV will depend on your tyre of journeys too and the ability to install a home charger. If that 20 or 30 min journey is at motorway speeds then range may not be as good on pure electricity which may mean more dependancy with the hybrid and PHEV on the petrol engine. Won't be much of a problem for most EVs but with PHEV they usually have a max electric range of about 30 to 40 km but at motorway speeds that mayrevert to the petrol engine. You would probably be plugging it in every day either way.

You should also consider an estate car, most have larger boot space than a SUV. The Octavia is worth looking at and is also available as a PHEV within budget:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3140958

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Poyndexter

Thanks for the reply. It's mainly driving on 'R' roads I'd be doing and in and out of the local town. A home charger installation would be possible be simple enough so that's no problem. My commute is a 35 km round trip.

I've only started looking but I saw the Enyaq listed as starting from 40k. Now I'm sure that's with the SEAI grant and there'd be a few additional costs but I thought it'd be within the budget.

This is what I was looking at:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3155667

It's inclusive of the 5k grant but it might be a higher spec model?

Yes that's probably the sportline Model that is around that price.

I don't think that's a Sportline, it's probably the longer range 4wd model.

Just remember that the prices on the manufacturer's website are not on the road prices. They won't include delivery charges or metalic paint which can add upto 2k onto the website price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe enquire about the new Renault Megane E-Tech.

I would say a look at the new Citroen C4-X too would be no harm and might be more available for delivery sooner than some of them cars on your list.

New Peugeot 308 Estate could suit you maybe.

It's available as a hyprid not electric yet do which is dissapointing from Puegeot considering its a brand new model.

The new Opel Astra is out too in estate form.

Seat Leon Estate.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Similar situation for myself, coming from a 151 C class merc that owes me nothing to be fair. Baby arriving and expect more to follow so started looking for a family car as while back. I'd say be prepared for a long wait regardless of what you go for but you might get lucky. I went for an N-Line Tucson PHEV in the end but had looked at the Kodiaq, Tiguain PHEV, ID4, Enyaq, Ioniq5 and EV6 at one time or another during the search. Main things we prioritised was boot, decent rear space, nice spec (electric tailgate, heated seats etc.) and I was also looking for as much tech as possible, oh and automatic. Based on our test drives/dealer visits heres what we found;

Kodiaq - average interior, massive and loads of room. No hybrid and petrol more expensive than diesel so ruled out for us. Exterior can look cheap and plasticy in lower specs to me, would have to get the Sportline but that just me. Was handy enough get one in a short time frame but only if it was diesel.

Tiguain - decent interior but not amazing. Infotainment screen was only ok, instrument display was cool but only in higher specs. Weird differences in specs, especially R-line as things like electric tailgate were an optional extra despite being standard in lower spec.

ID4 - interior takes a bit of getting use to i would say but i liked it. Price increases meant grant was gone for the spec we were looking at so ruled it out.

Enyaq - nicer interior to ID4 according to my wife and i'd probably agree. Gets expensive when you actually spec them up a bit. Summer 23 at best we were told if ordering in July.

Ioniq5/EV6 - didn't get to test drive either but ruled them both out due to either me or wife not liking the styling

Tucson - to me these look pretty dam bad in some of the basic specs and wouldn't have been on my list at all until i was made aware of the N-line. The premium and executive specs are nice inside with the cream leather and the boot and rear passenger space is generous. Probably the best value, i think your budget would get you in a high spec model.

To be honest i don't think you can go too far wrong with any of them, we went for the Tucson based purely on getting one for september. If that doesn't happen we can get our deposit back and look elsewhere. At that point i'll likely just bite the bullet and go for the ID4 or Enyaq if the wait times aren't crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the RAV4 is a good option. Good value for what you get

Thanks all for the above info. Plenty of food for thought there.

Over the weekend I visited a few dealers. I had a good look at the Enyaq iv60 and was impressed. Price all in was coming in at just under 45k with grants etc. so just inside my budget. Would be another 9k for the iv80 which is just too much. Got to test drive one and was very impressed I must say. The dealer said at least 7 months waiting list for one but I'm not in a huge rush and also gives me a little more time to save up.

I had a look at the Rav4 also but they couldn't give me a price there and to come back the end of September. I get the feeling they expect the price it to go up. Again none in stock with another 6 month waiting list for a new one. I really like them also and am familiar enough with them as my Dad drives one.

I have a slight concern with range anxiety for EVs but as I said in my OP I have a 20 minute commute to work and most other journeys I take would be under 30 mins so that shouldn't be an issue. The only concern would be longer trips down the country but that is only a few times a year and I could plan around it I'm sure. I drive a BMW 320D and my wife has a 182 Seat Leon so we will still have one ICE car for the foreseeable future anyway. Not sure which to keep now though.

I think long term the Enyaq being an EV it should hold it's value longer but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Wonder could that 7 month waitlist be even longer, so much uncertainty down the line. And prices may creep up too during that time. If it was me I'd be giving priority to cars that you can actually get within a shorter timeframe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement