Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I don't like Working Class People

Options
  • 15-08-2022 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm sure working class means different things to different people, but I'm talking about urban working class. A lot of these sorts I get on quite well with (as you might need to), but I'm always very much aware that it's a false friendship. 

1. They just don't understand the idea of playing devil's advocate. With myself, if ever I am giving out about someone/something, and the other person questions my annoyance, I don't assume it's because they're being a prick. 
    2. They respond to peer pressure very easily themselves, and they also try to peer pressure others. Thinking outside the box is almost considered weird. For example, they might drop a few snide remarks if you have salad or nuts as part of your lunch... as if to imply you're not street smart because of it. I'd kind of feel like saying "you still haven't figured out why my kind lives 10 years longer than your kind". As expected, I've been mocked because I recycle. I remember when I did night security I used to turn off the office lights on my patrol because it saved electricity and I suspected one of the working class guys thought that was weird. 
    3. They use anecdotal evidence to rationalise bad decisions (this in itself doesn't annoy me). 
    4. They often have a victim mentality... no need of elaboration!
    5. This one might be more unique to male working class people, and that's that they gossip but yet want to act as if they're not gossips. I'm not saying WC people always think they're sound as a pound, but when you do get one who thinks they are - and who also is a nasty gossip - it can be the most annoying thing!
    6. They can 'turn' on you. This can be because they see you differently after a while, but often I think they turn on people based on the opinions of others within their group. I've never experienced this from a non-working class person. It probably stems from this 'us and them' mentality they have. Perhaps this same 'us and them' mentality can often too make the working class 'seem' more racist than the non working class.
    7. They always try subtle power moves. Instead of saying "thanks" they'll say things "you're grand" or "no problem lad". They think this makes them look more in charge.
    8. They give way too much away about themselves. You hear them talk about their pettiness towards others and it reminds you of what you're in for if they turn on you. You also see them reveal too much about themselves on social media of course.
    9. There's often a hint of racism with them. There's a guy at work (let's call him Jenaro) who's English isn't very good. As a result I know that I could get away with treating him badly if I wanted to, but I don't. The thing is, that if Jenaro is out of line in any way (and he can be), you'll hear about it. But there are others who are also out of line and you won't hear anything spoken of it. At times Jenaro can annoy me but I always make sure to never let myself vent about it because it would be cowardly of me to complain only about him and not the ones are the real problem. The other day I was asked by a girl "how was Jenaro last night?" as if to imply there was something up with him. I responded by saying "well Jenaro doesn't ask me how you were when I'm working with you, so I don't think it would be right to be talking about him". She's sort of turned on me since!

I'll just finish it off with a good story. I once witnessed an interaction between such a working class (WC) person and the site health and safety officer. They were about 5 yards apart, with the H&S guy being outside the office and the WC guy being inside. The H&S guy happened to be asking why a certain gate was left open, that he'd earlier noticed. The WC guy just said that they'd to open it quite often (via button from the office) so would sometimes forget to close it. The WC guy had the upper hand because the other guy was outside the office talking through a little window. I'd imagine the H&S guy didn't want to seem like a push over, but at the same time wasn't prepared make a big deal out of it either. So the H&S guy said pretty much the same thing again "well look I just noticed that that gate was wide open on my way down..." hoping that the WC guy would take the hint. All the WC guy had to say was "we'll try and keep more of an eye on that in future". He didn't even have to say "thanks for bringing that to our attention". But no, he couldn't. The WC just repeated what he had already said, as if to say "are you stupid?". The H&S guy eventually gave up on the WC guy being able to take the hint, just said thanks and walked off. Afterwards I could tell the WC guy was annoyed as he muttered something fowl under his breath. A few minutes later he said to me "you know that guy there a while a go?"! I just said "I'm not interested... I'm sorry but I'm just not". I was not going to indulge him. He wasn't expecting that from me, and it made for an awkward rest of the day with us alone in the office! Then later on I had to overhear his sugar coated story about the H&S guy when he was chatting to someone else. In his story he said (about the H&S guy) "he just walked away"! I mean technically the guy did walk away, but not the way he implied. It so happened that that H&S was given a nasty nick name by others in the company, and the WC guy had gotten wind of it. I'm pretty sure that was why the WC guy felt he could afford to treat him with such contempt.

Thanks for reading

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement