Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms 14th/15th August 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yes you are right I sincerely hope no one got hurt or had damage that is the downside of these storm hope you are all ok .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yes. Despite many of us totally missing out! Still, nice to hear some summer thunder even if it was pretty scant here in Galway.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Robwindstorm

No bother Gonzo, I tracked it on the radar as an intense red echo that traveled along the North Meath border into county Louth thus giving us around Kells area a great display of sheet, chain and fork lightening. No rain and distant thunder, but a mad warm wind blew at the same time. Enjoy your posts along with others, that's why I eventually signed up

No major storm activity in Cork city since yesterday evening - just a little rumbling this evening but a downpour. Air is fresher outside but inside is still really stuffy, even with all the windows open.

Was in New Orleans a few years ago and the humidity was frightening. Like you'd wonder if you'd be able to breathe properly. And this was October - imagine summer. But the subsequent downpour was amazing. And lasted for ages - the atmosphere got truly wrung out. Afterwards the weather was idyllic - like a nice September day here. Whereas at the moment here, it's all very stop starty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

So what if anything did the last 2 days tell or confirm to us in my opinion,

- Thunderstorms are always hit or miss. The word widespread is misleading as many just pop up locally.

- Did this one deliver? Yes I guess so on a local level, ask those in New Ross this afternoon

- Was the warning justified? Yes I think so but Met Eireann have a job on their hands in cooling down media frenzies that even rte now take part in. If this was 20 years ago it wouldn't have made any news away from the red top newspapers.

I suppose 'cry wolf' comes to mind but really and truly a few thunderstorms scattered around the place should not imo be the main headline on rte news (much as I enjoy weather myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We were on the northern end of those deluges on the Laois-Kilkenny border. At 6pm Durrow was dry right in the Square, yet on my edge of town it was raining, such was the sharp boundary of these showers.

Durrow ACS (an Automatic Met Eireann station, located 950m away from the Met Eireann Climatological Station here on the edge of town) recorded over 28mm since midnight, yet here we got under 10mm!)

What village in Laois did the Fire and Rescue have to attend to help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I saw lightning from north Dublin. A consolation prize.

We were thwarted by the Wicklow shadow again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I can't believe you missed out. One of the best thunderstorm events I have experienced in Ireland, thankfully I live on high ground so escaped any flooding. The kids loved it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Strange Oneric 3 how you missed it along with loads of onlookers in cars and in the shelters on the prom at Salthill I watched a spectacular lightning and thunder show for over an hour, I posted video of it way back on this thread it was still going on when heading home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I was in Galway city East and it was a mad show that side too. Really enjoyed it, flashes so bright they left prints in my eyesight, delighted to witness it..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was sent this photo of Greystones Harbour from early yesterday morning (not sure who to credit!).

Thunderstorms died out rapidly yesterday evening, not much anywhere after 8pm and totally gone by 8.30pm.

Was an impressive end to the heatwave overall, though some parts did miss out.

Apart from a few localised areas, it was probably around a third of the oomph the 1985 storms delivered for those who did experience thunderstorms away from those aforementioned localised areas like Tullow, New Ross, parts of Clare, etc...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the main difference between this weeks thunderstorm event and the 1985 was that this weeks event was very localised, small clusters of thunderstorms that provided greatness to several areas (mainly over Cork, Waterford, Wexford), while those in surrounding areas got to watch a decent lightshow but many places had very little to show for it such as Dublin, Meath, parts of Galway, Louth, Offally, Monaghan and maybe a few other areas.

The 1985 event was a completely different beast, a single cell about the size of Ireland which covered almost the entire country and kept booming, flashing and strobing away for close to 24 hours, a truly continental or north american thunderstorm experience that we are likely to never see again during our lifetime. This weeks event is no match for the 1985 one but it's probably the best that Ireland has experienced over the past 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

My observation of Sunday night's thunderstorm in the Limerick City area at least, was that there was very little cloud to ground lightning.

Almost every stroke I saw was cloud-to-cloud and I reckon this resulted in relatively little damage to property and livestock. I heard of no cattle killed around the country and no houses or structures damaged.

The 1985 storm killed a lot of livestock, including five cattle on my father's farm in North Tipperary. There were several other similar occurrences around the country.

We did fairly well, though not as well as others in Mayo/Sligo back in those overnight big storms back in 2020. They were every bit as intense and spectacular as this more recent event but more confined to Connacht and west Ulster.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Dazler97

We didn't so bad here in Carrick on Shannon, lightning storm Sunday morning 4am and massive thunderstorm 7pm same day, green, yellow and blue strikes where seen, i wasn't around for 85 Storms but my best one was 26th November 2010 lasted 10 hours best thunder snow

Was 1985 the last storm you witnessed in Meath? Seriously?

1985 was probably very likely also to be small clusters of storms that just kept regenerating over, or moving in over the same regions for hours on end.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yep that was the last one. We missed out on the 2003 event which mostly affected Dublin. We missed out on this weeks event and every other thunderstorm event I can think of since 1986. Meath just does not do thunderstorms. There has to be a reason the county is so lacking of thunderstorms compared to elsewhere in Ireland. Sure we get the odd thundery shower where there is a clap of thunder and maybe 1 flash of lightning but nothing that I would class as a thunderstorm lasting longer than 5 minutes.

Well, there is a saying that I think holds some truth: 'the best things comes to those who wait".

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I remember that well, was in Dublin airport and ended up stuck there for the day… it was actually a bit of craic in the bar watching the show out the window!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

How we're they killed...hit by lightening or died in the panic?

If you could increase the frequency of this lightning slightly more and make most of the flashes fork lightning then this would be the closest to 1985 footage I've seen from the last two days across Ireland.

There was a evening, night and early morning, sometime back in the very late 90s or early 00s (poor memory) that potent thunderstorms rolled in off the Atlantic continuiously. Every single passing shower brought big forked lightning and loud thunder and hail for about 12 hours straight. I can't recall the year but I do remember it was either very late Feb or early March. One of those rare events that reminds you that Ireland, despite having 99.99% mind-numbingly crap weather, can do weather as big as any other country when it can be arsed.

New Moon

That's like something you'd see on a summer night in Iowa.

New Moon

More for the phraseology than anything else:

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

They were struck by lightning. It was during the night and they were huddled together in a group in a field by a roadside hedge.

I remember they were totally unmarked by the lightning and a vet came to certify them dead for insurance purposes.

It was such a sad sight and I never forgot it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just for the record- Sferics detected on the 14th and 15th . As many posters stated not all sferics show up, only a fraction of the lightning is detected by the ATD system, a lot of the high based lightning goes undetected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

At my home near Limerick City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think it's very interesting that people can get high definition footage of lightning bolts that last a fraction of a second and are notoriously random. But UFOs are always blurry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Was great to be honest, 2 of my favourite weather events in 1 "thundersnow" 😁

Advertisement