Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Ownership History Check

Options
  • 13-08-2022 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I did a motor history check online for a vehicle I have went to view. It did show a few suspect recent ownership changes. It's showed the recent owner has the car 1 month and before that a garage held it for only 3 days with the owner previous to that owning the car for 5 years.

The lad selling the car said it was previously his father's car but had a recent ownership to his name but he decided to sell it because he doesn't really need it as he drives a van.

I questioned him about the 3 day garage ownership and he told be that his farther lost the vehicle cert recently and that it had to go through a garage code to get a knew one. I am not familiar with the procedure of getting a new vehicle cert but does anyone ever hear of this having to get one through a garage code ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

Its a possible story but its more likely that he’s a trader and the car was taken in somewhere as a trade in. Although traders usually don’t sign the logbook.

Is the car registered in the sellers name? Is there any proof that the father owned the car for 5 years? Have you viewed the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Peter256

I have viewed the car and its in great condition inside and out. I also brought it for a drive and it had no obvious faults although I know it would need a mechanical check. There isn't any proof who owned it for the 5 years but he did seem to be familiar with the car and didn't seem like someone who only knew the car for a month. The other thing is he said they owned it for around 2 years not 5, unless he wasn't sure when his farther bought it. He did seem a genuine lad and said the car was well looked after and said he'd welcome a mechanical check.

The car is now registered in the sellers name ( not under garage). When I look online about the procedure for getting replacement log book it says you fill in a form that is witnessed at Gaurda station and you send to the motoring department. I can't see anywhere mentioned that you need to go through a garage when looking for a replacement tax book.

He has told me now that getting the replacement log book through a garage was the quickest way to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah thats right you get a form stamped by Garda for a replacement logbook. But I think if the owner knew someone with a garage code they could get a logbook that way also.

If your happy with the condition of the car then I wouldn’t let it put you off buying it.

Yeah I am happy with the condition of the car and I have seen any service history documents he had.

I have just another thing I wonder should I be concerned about. I worked out that the car has done very low mileage in the last 3 year's. I calculated it has only done on average 6000 KM per year. And the car is diesel so I am thinking that there could be DPF trouble ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, has he any connection to another seller you where interested in buying from recently: 😁

There are alot of chancers selling cars these days with stories that are as dodgy as the cars they are selling.

Yeah there seems to be a lot of dodgy sellers online these days and lots traders pretending to be private sellers. That other lad that is selling the Honda, I actually rang him on a different phone yesterday and he told me a different location address to what he told me originally. He also told me he owned the car 2 years but the history check showed he has the car 6 months and is a trader. The owner before him owned it 7 years. So I am thinking the car could have started having DPF issues and that's how he ended up with it, even though those Honda's are supposed to be very reliable.

Advertisement