Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Eva (evil)

Options
  • 13-08-2022 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭

Why is Rte giving program after program to this woman?? The Sunday ind also gives her exposure.

I think her series on Sugar was good but typical rte they then try her in other formats with diasterous results.

The same has happened with Des Bishop who did one good series on what it's like to be low paid in Ireland and has generally done **** series ever since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If most Dr's followed her philosophy, the cost to the HSE for treating many conditions would be significantly reduced within a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Dr Eva believes obesity and being overweight automatically means a multitude of health woes when that isnt the case. Weight is one of many factors such as genetics, cholesterol, resting heary rate, environment etc which affects health. But her narrow minded exclusive focus on weight misses the bigger picture and she is a part of the stigma and prejudice larger people face when accessing health services in this country.

Yes, mad to give this ignorant woman any air time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She's right. Here's one link, there are zillions of others: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-consequences/health-effects/

And I say that as a person who (just) fits the clinical definition of obesity.

Well I was 16 stone, didn't consume much alcohol(6 times a year I'd drink), avoided chocolate as best I could, started to do more exercise...all that happened was more hunger, and more weight...was also pre-diabetic and had the signs of Non-alcoholic Fatty liver ...

6 months after starting low carb/keto...

Fasting blood sugar 72mg/dl

Fatty Liver almost gone

Weight 13.5stone

Also my appetite was significantly reduced, no more savage hunger every 3-4 hours...

So after about 18 months of it;

Currently at 11st 5-8lbs bf% 14-16%

All this with zero exercise

Fatty Liver gone

Inflammation Blood Markers non-existent in my bloods, psoriasis gone(100% gone, not a trace of it anywhere)...

And my Dr still tells me it's a dangerous diet/lifestyle...

But all my issues are gone, and I still take a break here and there to have a beer(which is high carb)

Low Carb/Keto is a cure for diabetes and it's been proven by the millions of people who no longer need medication for it...yes for those people they need to stay keto in order to stay off the medication, just like an alcoholic who needs to abstain for alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Weight is generally a good indicator though of someone's health?

Weight can be linked to high cholesterol, heavy heart rate etc.

Ireland has a serious issue with obesity that is a fact

When I got down to my current weight I was continuously being told I was too skinny...and that was very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Her whole Simon Cowell/Anne Robinson talking down to the plebs and being a cünt to people style is just incredibly dated these days, whatever about her credentials.

I impression is that she takes most issues with the health bodies and Dr's who continue to oust lots of carbs this exasperating the current trend of obesity in adults and children...

It's actually not a person's fault they are obese, when the advice they are given set them up to fail from day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No, she isnt right. Ever wonder why the "war" on obesity hasnt been won? Its been a total failure on every count. People can be heavy and healthy, and they can be very thin and riddled with illness. The problem is the whole industry is worth billions, so you have doctors in the pockets of big pharma companies and unhealthy slimming programmes so they push diet pills, low calorie diets and surgery on their clients whilst spreading the toxic message that being heavy is the most insidious state of existence ever.

Losing weight does not automatically lead to a healthier life. Causality isnt proven. People who lose weight may have a better cholesterol as they ate more plant foods. Heart and lung function can improve with daily gentle exercise despite your size. This war on obesity is an incredibly flawed and coincidentally profitable movement. Most people are too brainwashed to see through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

In the vast majority of cases an obese person losing weight by healthy diet is beneficial for health. Of course crash diets and starvation are negative but she has not promoted those.

The reason it's not working, is because the vast majority of people don't actually go low carb or keto...most people who are obese are also metabolically dysfunctional so continuing to consume carbs, which spikes insulin and blood sugar and you get hungry again in a few hours, in most cases ...

Move more eat less is utterly terrible advice and hasn't work and won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Deeec

I watched Dr Evas new Portugal documentary last week. I thought it was desperate television watching her marriage breakdown. She seemed to be really playing up for the cameras looking for sympathy.

She always reminds me of Jillian McKeith who preached about healthy eating and weight loss but actually looked dreadfully unhealthy herself. When I googled Dr Eva I was surprised that she is actually only 56. If asked her age I would have said she was in her 60's. Yeas she is thin but her hair and skin look much older.

I think she looks good for her age, especially since she works in an industry with high stress...

Any family members of mine in there 60's all look worse than Eva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I agree we are one of the fattest/ obese nations in the EU now, Dr Eva is direct which I like and I always liked her analysis of the clients on Operation Transformation. She always told the truth and gave her honest professional opinion, like a lot of things in this nanny culture, some of the clients could not take her feedback and broke down crying etc, thats the reason RTE did not renew her contract, she was deemed too harsh apparently/ allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yet now most of the clients are continuously breaking down crying and many are coming on the show with serious mental health issues. Instead of making them cry with feedback they are now purposely triggering their insecurities. Also, the presenter who puts a crazy amount of effort doing herself up to stand beside the fatties. So much wrong with that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What were you against BMI? Might be a better indicator I guess?

Weight isn't the be all and end all obviously. My weight has been all over the shop tbh and there is a happy medium! It's important to have a healthy relationship with food, exercise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Evil. I agree.

RTE appear to be paying for her 'Escape to the Continent'.

This is one of her other projects.

Not sure what all the BMI chat has to do with it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My father lived to the age of 80 , his last 15 years would have been amazing if it wasn’t for obesity, every stone over weight comes back at you big time in your old age

• Advertisement

22.6 is my BMI so healthy weight...also with regards healthy relationship with food...I have that eating keto/low carb, I eat twice a day and very simple, uncomplicated diet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Deeec

High stress - all she does is advise people on diet to achieve weight loss. How would this be a high stress industry - she gets paid if her clients lose the weight or not.

We must move in very different circles. Most 56 year old women I know look way better than Eva. Something Ive noticed among friends my age ( early 40's) is that those that follow very strict diet and exercise plans always have bad skin and more wrinkles. The skin needs certain fats in the diet to stay plump or wrinkles form. Evas skin ages her - I was very surprised she is only 56.

Post edited by Deeec on

Well Eva recommends fats in her clinic to obese patients...well I know of 2 people who have used her services, she is very expensive mind, but works

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is no war on obesity.

The junk food industry is worth even more billions than the weight loss industry.

Two bad industry's don't make a right one.

Being overweight can never be a positive to your health. There is no such thing as an obese 90yo.

The older you get the negative effects of being overweight accumulates. So an overweight person may be relatively healthy in their 20's or early 30's but it won't last and most overweight people get bigger as they get older. It will catch up with them eventually.

One doesn't have to spend a penny to loss weight. If you eat less you spend less. You will in fact save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Low Carb/Keto is a cure for diabetes and it's been proven by the millions of people who no longer need medication for it...yes for those people they need to stay keto in order to stay off the medication, just like an alcoholic who needs to abstain for alcohol

*Type 2 diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Bmi is rubbish in general. Even though I've lost 10kgs, I'm still overweight apparently and told I'm skinny. At 184cm and 85kg, I think I'm okay. My normal mass would be 90+ if I could exercise more. Bmi is bollox.

Aside for a small few outlines it's genuinely a good measure...if you think your skinny, get a body fat measurement to confirm....you could also have high rates of visceral fat(around the organs, kinda hidden)

11% through caliper measurements.

Organs? How much mass can they hold in fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

BMI is only a way to describe the ratio of fat one holds to the rest of your body mass. Saying BMI is bollox is like saying that any kind of measuring system is bollox, like the one you used to describe your height and weight. Do you think that's bollox as well.

• Advertisement

It really isn't. I'm considered over weight. I'm mid 40s and have close to a 32" waist. Explain.

Edit, bmi has nothing to do with fat.

Advertisement