Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Samsung to court

Options
  • 11-08-2022 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I want to take Samsung online shop ireland to court. I am going to the small claims court, but for this I need their address.

Is there any representative in ireland or is it Samsung UK? Or other? I see that who does the logistics for Samsung is "Exertis", but I dont think they should be sued.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

NOTE: I originally posted this thread on the Android area, but I just found this area which I think is more appropriated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

your contract is with the retailer.

Unless you bought directly from samsung then your case is against the shop you bought the device from

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

This.

Where did you buy the phone. If it was Harvey N, or PCWorld or someone like that. You go after them. Not Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep hardly anything to do with Samsung, assume OP was fed the usual bs by the retailer.

What is the fault in terms of the sale of goods and supply of services?

Your opening post is vague.

Do you have any formal training in law?

The 3 R's repair replace refund

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hasn't OP clearly stated they purchased direct from Samsung online directly 🤔

Samsung have a team of sales support people in Ireland, dealing with network phone shops, promotions etc, I can't say if they are employed directly by Samsung Ireland or UK There are two companies registered under Samsung in Ireland, I'll attached details but verify yourself.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ViniciusD

I purchased a new phone and an energy adapter with a cable at samsung online shop, was not with a retailer, was directly from samsung: https://shop.samsung.com/ie/

THe plug adapter stopped working one month after my purchase and it is IMPOSSIBLE to engage samsung for replacement.

This is way beyond a matter of a simple plug adapter, this is a matter of complete lack of customer service and respect with customer. The plug adapter costs 30 euro, but my phone costs 1100 and if I have issues with it I WILL NOT be able to get service or replacement.

If you go to the Contact Us page (https://www.samsung.com/ie/support/contact/) you will find a few ways to engage them:

0818717100 - told me they are only tech support, they don't deal with warranty, told me to call 0818302016

0818302016 - told me they dont deal with warranty, told me to call 0818717100

called again to 0818302016 - told me they dont deal with warranty, told me to try online chat

online chat: told they are exertis and they would pass to samsung directly, the chat gets ended ALWAYS.

This is HELL, how is this freaking world a company this size gives this customer service? I am telling you: DO NOT BUY anything from samsung online store, unless you are ready to be in trouble if you need to use your warranty.

I was able to speak with Samsung UK over twitter, after several weeks of waiting. They got me a 2 replacements for my plug adapter, both WRONG models (the first one was USA standard adapter... imagine that), and they insisted that they were doing this as a good will... to hell with that, the product is INSIDE warranty period, this is an obligation on their side.

If you plan to buy ANYTHING from samsung, buy from a local retailer and make SURE they will provide after-sales support in a case of product malfunction.

I purchased the phone and the adapter in end of april, 30 days later I needed support, up to this day I could not speak with anyone from SAmsung Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Have you tried getting Conor Pope the Irish Times Consumer Affairs Correspondent on your case. He does a slot on the Ray D'Arcy show on RTE1 & he frequently sorts out consumer problems with Vodafone, Eir etc. Might be worth a try.

How much are you claiming? sounds like the device works minus the cables and or accessories.

the only reason I ask is that it will cost 25 euro and that cannot be used as a n expense against the company.

given adaptors and leads could cost less or at least alternatives could, it might not be worth your time. ]

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

I think for Ireland Exertis issues the invoice so they are the retailer

I would claim the 2k, this is not about the adapter, this is about lack of respect. How can you sell something online and DON'T provide warranty? And by the way: I never sued anyone, so I am not those guys that try to make easy money around.

This is about all the stress I've been through trying to get Samsung to replace something that is my right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Its pointless going after them for an accessory, very few warranties will even cover these and as an earlier poster said the Scc fee is 25e, they may well decide not to submit the claim either when its assessed. Just buy another adapter. It may well be annoying that it is not working after a few months but life is too short to be stressing over a minor issue like this!

Just to add I have used the scc previously for larger more expensive claims and i am just giving you an insight into its workings

do it for the craic so. no offence but it woudnt even make the court after the registrar has reviewed your case. all the best on your quest

Ok, so there something VERY wrong here.

They are not being honest at all. Imagine you buy ANYTHING on Samsung online store, this product has a defect and you are unable to use your warranty... this cannot be like this.

There must be a way to get them punished, what about consumer rights?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What did you think you could claim the 2k for exactly?

The only thing there is a claim on is the 30 quid charger. The cost of SCC is 25, it explicitly cannot be added to the value or the claim, and the time involved is worth a lot more than a fiver.

Deal with any failures with the phone IF they happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Gooser14

As Exertis are the distributor for Samsung in Ireland I think you should be contacting them in the first instance. It may be that they will solve the problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You need to take a step back here. The only loss which you have suffered is the value of the supplied charger and this has not put you into a position where the phone was unusable as other adapters are functional. There is no need to go all "class action" on this - yes I can understand that you are frustrated, but no amount of frustration will become a positive here. You're not entitled to get any compensation from Samsung beyond the value of said adapter.

From my view, there are three paths remaining:

1. Re-engage the support teams via the official process and request an escalation. Remain polite but firm and explain that you have been through the system multiple times already.
    2. If you get no joy from support you could consider a small claims court route, but this may be futile as the cost for a small claims process is 25 EUR - probably the same as the value of the charger and you are not entitled to claim for the full value of the functional phone or whatever costs you associate with your frustration.
    3. Buy a reasonable charger from another retailer.

Now that we've talked you off the metaphorical cliff, I can only wish you good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Did you just go straight to customer service or did you check out the repair section in the warranty page? According to the warranty information page on the website you're supposed to book a repair through the online portal. Chargers are covered by a 12 month warranty.

https://www.samsung.com/ie/support/warranty/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

You'll be laughed at and refused even a hearing.

Don't be stupid about it. Abusing the excellent small claims process is not looked on favourably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Samsung CEO of UK and Ireland is Irish.From County Wicklow.Can't remember his name,unfortunately.Article in one of the sunday papers of 7th August.Fonefix in Sandyford,dublin 18 do repairs,maybe they can help.

• Advertisement

This is a pointless post, Fonefix fix phones not chargers and his phone is not broken! Op is having a hissy fit over a consumable item that can break very easily due to being dropped, thrown into a bag, or any manner of reasons!

The ceo being from Ireland, not even sure where you were going with that nugget of information 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Thank you for your post.Fonefix will contact Samsung and get the charger replaced.So helpful Gimp,my god.CEO? Has it crossed your mind that writing to him might help-if ViniciusD were to get really desperate.It does work you know.Some people do have a lot of time on their paws.Don't make any attempts to be a mind reader for ViniciusD

More nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

A claim for a faulty charger! I’ve heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The judge will tell you to fcku off.

The max you will get is the cost of a replacement charger, which is probably the same amount as it costs to apply to the small claims court, which itself isnt something you can claim for

So your going to be out of pocket the court application fee and your going to have to give up a full day attending court with the associated costs of transport / parking etc.

Just buy yourself a new charger and get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You need to grow up. It is an adaptor. A consumable item. You can't sue for 'stress' or a perceived lack of respect. You'd be laughed out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think you are missing his point.

The charger broke. It should be a straight replacement. But Samsung won't engage. They should be made meet their consumer obligations.

If the phone subsequently breaks should he also suck it up?

If you can afford 1K+ on a phone. This isn't about the money, it's about the principal of your rights as a consumer.

He can obviously just buy a new charger if it was about the time and money.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

So many suckers here willing to buy faulty products and except it. Easy money for companies.

OP keep all communication and email higher and higher up the chain of command. Theses companies are also on Social media like Twitter and Facebook where you can post publicly your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Your principle and rights as a consumer versus the time stress and annoyance of carrying on looking for a replacement of something cheap that could be bought quickly.

I know what i would do, and ive brought people to the small claims court previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

#1 What's the minimum claim you can make?

#2 What's the minimum claim you feel is worthwhile?

Advertisement