Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can a motoring conviction be quashed upon presentation of new evidence?

Options
  • 11-08-2022 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Long story.

I’m always a careful driver and always set my cruise control to 10 km/h below the speed limit. For example, 40 km/h in a 50 km/zone, 110 km/h in a 120 km/h zone.

My car was clocked doing 55 km/h in a 50 km/h zone a while back.

I was on an extended unpaid sabbatical with my wife and we were travelling around the mainland in her camper (she has her C licence 😎). We went from Lisbon to Helsinki and everywhere in between.

Upon return I saw that court proceedings were issued due to an ignored FCPN (the original FCPN arrived in my absence) and court proceedings happened in absentia.

The date of the alleged speeding offence was a date when I was still in Ireland.

I always knew that I never speed and that 55 in a 50 zone is out of character for me. I ended with a criminal conviction now and I have to apply for a visa to enter the US (presumably for the rest of my life).

Recently, the guilt got to my cousin who admitted borrowing my car without my permission. He told my dad (who lives at a different address and has a spare key for emergencies) that I had given him permission (which I didn’t). It turns out HE was the one caught speeding a month or so before the original FCPN arrived.

I must’ve been at work at the time of the offence as I work very irregular and haphazard shifts and I usually walk or cycle the 2 km to work.

Can I use this admission to quash my conviction? What if he denies saying this to me? Will I have to report my cousin for theft in order to quash the conviction? I’d be the rat of the family then.

Cheers for reading,

Simon.

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement