Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food delivery guys on motorbikes

Options
  • 08-08-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice this...

They are all L for learner drivers.

Is that allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

is being a learner rider allowed? or is noticing it allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'd imagine there's a bit of flouting the rules. But they've to earn a few quid and people have to eat so **** happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's no restrictions on doing commercial work on a learners permit. What the are doing is riding without the correct insurance as they will need commercial insurance that covers carrying other peoples goods, I'd hazard a guess that most car delivery drivers aren't insured correctly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There’s a website you sign up to when doing just eat deliveries, and you pay commercial insurance by the hour, but only when you’re working/delivering.

I can’t remember seeing anything about motorbikes on that site though, so I’d hazard a guess they’re out n about without fully valid insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There's been a few posts by the Garda on their twitter feed of taking a few off the road, likely because of the insurance issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

They did a campaign in the city centre and seized loads of bikes. Was on twitter. Pizza hut drivers are generally all uninsured. Dominoes drivers are insured

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC dominos lost a court case, they were arguing that their delivery drivers (and they're all drivers round my way, have not seen any on a motorbike) were all zero hours contractors, but lost and have to treat them somewhat as paid staff now. they introduced a delivery charge soon after, it's €2.50 i think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh. they didn't drop the delivery charge as a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Carole Nash offer options to pay additional for commuting and for using your bike for work... So it seems yes, if they have the policy correctly in place then their insurance is valid for delivery work...

Only if you declare it and pay the extra premium. Once upon a time, Norwich Union was the only bike insurer. Delivery insurance was an extra 33%. Then it doubled. I stopd driving.

The car drivers I know, zero have courier/food delivery insurance. In the event of an accident, you hide the food or throw it in the ditch.

A biker is wide open to getting caught with a box on the back. I have no knowledge of justeat or similar, but the gardaI know. They do campaigns, seize bikes and post on twitter

Any standard insurance I ever had said not valid for hire and reward and food

The stupid thing about this pic, is the gardai removed identifying info from the pizza shops. In other words screw the driver trying to pay his bills while the shop gets off Scot-free. On signing up to a delivery you are asked do you have courier insurance and the manager nods to prompt you.

Ah, grand. You can start now. Checks done, it's your issue. See no evil, hear no evil......

I know of a refugee in tallaght, lets call him ammjo, on a learner permit, (needs a driver with him) flying around with bald tyres and laughs when you say it to him. Ballyer garda pulled him and now he has to do a test, get new tyres, etc etc.

Never mind not having Insurance, he doesn't even have/had a licence.

Another guy got a call from a pizza shop with a number in its name, to take day off. He turned up demanding to know why he had no work. The gardai were waiting for him over multiple documents/red lights/nct. You name it.

It's the ok coral out there and most people don't realise it

I'm leaving this now. Gonna have people coming after me.....

Sounds like standard private bike insurance you're looking at, never seen 'food' excluded on any of mine tbh, there are several types of commercial cover depending on what you plan to do, I've had commercial before on a bike(s), you could practically do anything with that bar 'speed testing' lol.

Does yours say hire or reward, or conveying samples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

I was in a car hit by a Domino's driver - he had standard insurance IIRC, but the company has supplemental insurance to cover him when out on deliveries.

My biggest gripe with delivery drivers on scooters in Dublin is that almost every single one of them has the tax disc obscuring the reg. Gardai need to launch a campaign to seize every scooter, and fine every one of them. The only reason it's done is to obscure their identity. If I did the same in a car I'd be pulled immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So Gardai, or Garda staff posting on social media, masquerading as a 13 year old girl on an international social media platform …”if ‘ur’ using…” “ ‘u’ need”, “theres a”…

280 character limit.

My nashe - fbd says

Exclusions:

Use for hiring or reward or commuting to and from any place of business or use for any purpose in connection with any business or profession.

The insurance does not cover use for racing, pacemaking, competitions, rallies, trials, speedtesting, any purpose on a racing circuit, or any form

of courier service or fast food delivery.

Use for any purpose in connection with the motor trade other than those necessitated by th

Technicalities, if they used that on the ticket there could be entertainment,

Advertisement