Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 missing cats same area over 1 weekend

Options
  • 07-08-2022 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Strange thing happened where I live recently. 3 cats from 3 households in the same area went missing. Gone over a week now. I'm very fond of one of them so I'm very disturbed by this. None are mine. This ever happen to anyone else? There was no event that could have disturbed them and caused them to run away. I'm pretty cynical and believe this was caused by a human.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd report them to the ISPCA, they have an animal cruelty section.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My wife's cat and the next door neighbour's cat went missing the same weekend about 12 years ago, and this time of year too IIRC. I remember at the time she was told they might have been taken by a farmer looking for mousers as the grain was coming in from the harvest. We saw the neighbour's cat - which had never shown any inclination to wander more than 100m from the house - about 5km away a couple of years later.

The houses at the time were on the edge of Ashbourne, new build estate backing onto countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bit of a stretch there blaming a farmer, it's not like they're going to give up being a mollycoddled house cat to be 'catnapped' into become a farm cat and actually stick around. The very idea of a farmer running around after cats is laughable when people give them away for free.

They come and go for all sorts of reasons, maybe they get a better deal, a mate or territory, maybe they get lost. Taken or killed by dogs or foxes, accidents, illness, who knows? Maybe consider that before blaming the kids are getting into black magic or moral panic nonsense without any actual evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Sorry I should clarify.. all owners are looking for them so no idea who if anyone did anything or took them..it's just very unusual for 3 from the same estate to vanish. None of them are pedigree or even close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can report suspected cruelty, too, where you fear for the welfare of an animal. Three cats disappearing from the same area in such a short space of time could easily indicate that someone is dispatching them, especially if (and I don't know that they were) they were neutered/spayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Deeec

I once had a cat that went missing for 6 weeks and suddenly returned. Its not unusual for cats to ramble.

Cats are good at finding food sources elsewhere - they are not as loyal to their owners as dogs. There is still plenty of time for the cats to return.

Cats are good at finding food sources elsewhere - they are not as loyal to their owners as dogs

I wish people would stop saying these things, they're just not true. It depends a lot on whether the cats were indoors or outdoors ones, whether they were taught to hunt as kittens and lots of other things. Ditto for the loyalty part - it all depends on how they've been interacted with. I can't get out of a room without my cats following me.

The fact that they roam and can come back is accurate enough, provided no harm has come to them. But dogs can roam, too, if allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Sounds like there could be a.....

cat burglar......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Foxes perhaps?

Although this is very rare and the local ones have never to my knowledge attacked any of my cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Could be someone with a .22 as well, happens around here with a local lad, any cat he sees gets aimed at, he doesn't always hit them but he takes a few in the year

And that would fall under the "cruelty" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Very rare for a fox to kill a cat, Minks maybe.

A gun isnt exactly quiet, people should hear shots from a distance off. Otherwise we're running after imaginary people with silent guns and wasting the ISPCA's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

<snip>

Quit it with the lazy stereotyping please.

Thanks,

DBB

Post edited by DBB on

People trap them, too - I don't want to get into what ways people can harm animals, but I would say that a number of cats disappearing together from a specific area represent a pattern.

Throwing my chapeau into the ring with the other Clouseaus. If they’re gone they’ve been trapped and removed. Poisoning or shooting would mean carcass would be found.

Look at the neighbours: any very house proud? Any big well done garden or lawns? Any one with lots of bird feeders? Suspect them first! Did they get deliveries in the past few weeks from couriers? The net is closing! Did you notice them driving off with large box carried out? Maybe even a suitcase and returning later? That’s them!!! Avengers assemble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Check with the local animal rescue. I've known a few who do tnr in areas where there might be cat colonies so generally they will try to trap as many as possible before moving to the next area and if a cat is caught in a trap and isn't wearing a collar or chipped it could get picked up for spaying/neutering and be released in a few days time when recovered but might be spooked and not go directly home.

Also someone in the area may be feeding them nicer food and giving them more attention so they decided to hang around there instead. It's not always a bad outcome for missing cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Similar happened at my parents about 10 years ago, all the kittens of one litter disappeared one by one, half of each kitten was found a week or so later, cut cleanly in half, no blood on the kittens fur, organs had been cleanly removed.

They are in open countryside, hundreds of Meters to other houses, but the remains all appeared close by in easily found spots without them looking.

There are some sick people out there unfortunately.

If people value their cats, maybe they should keep them indoors, but they probably won't do that.

• Advertisement

there is some farm land about so perhaps the cats were causing hassle, what kind of hassle would that be I wonder..but also alot of houses around too including one with a doggo who gets very stressed at the sight of cats but i just cant see the owner taking some kind of extreme action.

A different conversation but i know some people really have issues with cats... or dogs or whatever and might do something.. but its beyond my comprehension how someone would get so pissed off that they would take some kind of action. I used to live close to a guy who had very loud exotic birds.. my god.. they were a pain in the arse

I hope they've all just gone wandering and will show up in time but it seems like thats not what has happened, perhaps the warm weather has kept them out...

a mystery!

as someone who had 2 cats I just couldnt keep them in, its a risk for sure, but non-house cats just have to get out.. it's their nature. (as all animals I suppose but hey)

I have no problem with a farmer shooting a roaming dog, after witnessing what a cute 'doggo' can do to a defenceless sheep.

If you have free roaming cats, you should not be surprised if they go missing. That's on you, the owner.

Yeah I suppose its not so easy as I think.. in this case it would be warranted.. if a cat pissing on the neighbours prized roses was driving that person demented with rage I'd keep the cat in. Thats just me though, I'd hate it but I'd do it. I'd expect a coversation before some some drastic action was taken though... owner letting cat roam vs someone disappearing them without warning.. I'd call out the person 'disappearing' the cat first.. that's a rotten thing to do..Ive no idea if the missing cats were causing hassle for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I would be wandering around in the evening and maybe the morning to ensure they are not lost in the area,

And a call to the Animal protection people would be warranted to log the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Coyote probably

Are there many feral cats in your area? Is it possible they may have been trapped as part of a Trap / Neuter / Release programme by an animal charity?

Optimistic maybe, but I would check local rescues / cat charitys to see if this is going on in your area.

I'm sure pet cats that are already neutered have been caught up in these before!

Also check with local vets, for any injured cats that may have been brought in.

Are the cats microchipped? Very important to have cats chipped, if they are allowed outside.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If you keep cats, you just have to accept that if they are allowed to live a normal cat life, that they'll come & go. Had cats for many years, some for near a decade and others gone within anything from a couple of months to a year or two and more.

I think all those avenues have been explored (not my cats) - haven't noticed any feral cats around to be honest. They are all chipped. Where's Ace Ventura when you need him!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not in Ireland. Unless the cats got into a zoo.

Car/dog/foxes most likely

Advertisement